What's new
What's new

Acquired Hardinge DV59. Have electrical questions for other DV59 owners....

SteveLynch

Plastic
Hey all! Long time lurker / reader, first time poster.

I bought a Vintage Hardinge DV59 from someone who rescued what he could, from his Grandfather's abandoned machine shop. It had sat for years, and even had a squirrel nest in it.

I paid next to nothing for it, and he even gave me turrets, Tool Holders, about 60 collets, A couple compounds, a cross slide, Drip system, and a couple chucks. It's for all intents and purposes in pretty good shape for it's age. I'm looking forward to restoring it to it's original Glory.

Here's My question...

I build Lasers, and CNC machines, and I'm good with electrical work. However, I've never owned a single thing that ran on anything above 220V 3 phase.

This unit shows that it runs on 480, according to the side placard.

I've read in several posts, and was told By the guy I bought it from that it will run on 220V.

I can find nothing to verify this claim.

I'm going to post a few Photos, which should provide some insight into what I have, and I'd love your feedback on what My options are. I have a 90 AMp Phase perfect putting out 3 PH 220V. I also have a transformer putting out 380 3 phase.

Looking at the placards, do you think I can run it on 220V 3 PH?

If not, I do have a 2HP 220V 3 PH motor I could swap out If it's work.

This machine is pretty "analog"... I'm a digital type. I'm not very "up to speed" on these old machines. Does anyone care to take a stab at what I'd need to do to use this in My under powered shop?

Thanks so Much!!!!!

2021-06-01 16.44.47.jpg2021-06-01 16.44.47.jpg

I have no idea why it's rotating the images.. I've rotated and saved them in every orientation, and no matter what, they come out flipped!

Sorry!

Your motor is 3/4 HP at 1730 RPM and 3/8 HP at 860 RPM, 440 V only. Looks like the Frame is 184, which describes the shaft size and mounting dimensions. Hardinge had their motors balanced much better than standard motors in order to keep vibration minimal. I have a Hardinge lathe with a similar motor and use a rotary phase converter to make 240 V three phase and a three phase transformer to double that, just for this one motor. That system works OK and means I did not have to change any of the lathe's complex internal wiring, like for the speed changing or carriage feed motors.

Your 1960 model DV59 has a control transformer that can be rewired to take 220 V single phase in, which is easy enough to do. Or you can just wire 110 V to the output side of the control transformer, using safe and appropriate switching. Changing the main motor to a single speed 220 V three phase is not terribly complex if you can get one of 1 HP with the correct frame. Finding a two-speed motor of the correct voltage and other specs will not be easy. I like to use 1 HP three phase motors with a single speed as low as possible, like 860 or 1140 and power them with a VFD with 110 V single phase input. Running an 860 RPM motor at 120 Hz makes it run 1720 RPM and you still have nameplate HP at all speeds between 860 and 1720.

You may have an issue with the small motor that changes the belt ratio. I don't know what the nameplate on it says, so you had best find out before changing things. That motor cannot be run with the VFD that runs the main motor. Using a VFD for the main motor will require quite a few changes to the rest of the lathe's wiring.

Larry

As mentioned, single voltage 440 only motor. Possibly your quickest route to running this is a step-up transformer of appropriate power rating and voltage ratio to go between your PP setup and this machine.

As mentioned, single voltage 440 only motor. Possibly your quickest route to running this is a step-up transformer of appropriate power rating and voltage ratio to go between your PP setup and this machine.

That's what I did with the one 440, 2 speed motor machine I have. Those transformers are easy to find used, and it's very simple to hook up.

And I wouldn't call that a "vintage" machine, it's not even as old as I am ;-). Those are great machines once you figure out how to set it up.

Steve,
I not have anything to add to the replies you have gotten but noticed you have 2 threads active with the same request. If you go into edit on the second one you can delete the thread so you will have all your good replies in one place instead having to manage both threads. I just did it the other day. Seems like you first go into edit the thread then find "delete thread" and check it then scroll further down and find another box with delete that completes the action.

Thanks!

I believe They gave me one with this unit. I'll post a pic.. it's a Westinghouse. I'll post a pic.

And My friend, like it or not, we are both "vintage" in the eyes of some.. :)

I get older, but I refuse to grow up!

Fred, I noticed that the first post that gave me an error, showed up. By the time I noticed, the edit option had disappeared. I cannot find a way to remove it. Sorry, I definitely didn't want My first post on PM to look like I was one of those "duplicate thread Yahoos!"

Back