What's new
What's new

Acquired Nice Monarch 10EE and Hardinge HLVH; Which one to keep?

Jim Williams

Stainless
I would keep them both for a while. This would give you an opportunity to decide. Finding a deal like that is a dream. HLVH has always been first on my bucket list, with the Monarch second. I bought a Harrison 10AA about 25 years ago, and have enjoyed it very much. It was little used and well tooled. It has had minimal use in a home shop environment, but probably has not held it's value as well as the HLVH I wanted would have. Great score.

Jim

jmcvo

Cast Iron
Currently have a nicely-equipped 10EE but probably have more hours on HLV-H's than 10EE over the years.

I agree with others' comments favoring the convenience of HLV-H IF most of your parts are collet-size. I have been disappointed numerous times by lack of power with HLV-H's -- not only when turning but also when attempting to drill large holes. I have not experienced lack of power on the 10EE.

If you need metric threading the decision is already made for you. If you don't anticipate that need you'll need to choose between two excellent choices.

-Jeff

Frederick Harvie

Stainless
I have never had a hardinge so I am maybe not fully informed but I would keep the 10EE . hands down they are the better lathe in my opinion. Truly a wonderfully made machine . As has been said above they run on single phase. When I called Monarch after getting one years ago I was told that they mark them as 3 phase because thats what the customer orders but follow the leads and one of the wires dead ends and only single phase is needed to run the machine. Unless of course you have a coolant pump which will be 3 phase.

scojen

Stainless
Tough choices here I would buy both their good machines. Having run both quite a bit in the last forty years it would be hard to choose one over the other but the addition of metric threading on the hardinge tilts the favor a bit.

car2

Stainless
Gentlemen, I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful and thoughtful input. After a bit of unanticipated haranguing on the original deal, and considering time and space constraints, it looks like I'll end up with the Hardinge and a forum member with the Monarch. I'll update with any changes or useful info. Thanks very much for everyone's help and time! Charles

I've never ran either one, but have stood next to DKMC's versions. :D

My question would be exactly what can the Monarch do that the Hardinge can't? Hog heavier, and 1" more on the radius of work? Trade that for metric, finesse, and effortless threading?

I never wanted a 10 EE, though, but will eventually finish a Hardinge TL.
You made the right choice.

(Dan, someone mentioned "keep both" within the first few posts)

smt

car2

Stainless
Gents, thanks again. Well, I'm a little sorry, but the EE is going to someone that will make good use of it. If I kept both, it would be sitting around mostly unused (an "investment" and mechanical artwork to gaze at lovingly and on occasion tinker) , as I have no NEED (nor room) for two with rather similar overall capabilities. Assuming not going to keep BOTH (the obvious solution to the dilemma) the somewhat better(different) ergonomics, I/M easy threading, resale, sort of tipped the scale. As noted, neither may be used for larger heavy work, a second larger lathe is needed. I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion, and sort of figured this would be a 50-50 philosophical discussion and whose baby is prettier, but with valid objective points on both sides, Thank you all!

ORAGRAG

Aluminum
I have owned both lathes for several years. Both are in excellent condition. If I had to decide between just one of them I would keep the 10ee hands down. Of course the 10ee can do the larger work better but for me even the small work is much more enjoyable. I guess it just a personal choice.

dkmc

Diamond
My question would be exactly what can the Monarch do that the Hardinge can't?
smt

Stephen, there is no HLV in the shop.
There is a Hand Chucker, CNC Gang tool Chucker, a DV and a speed lathe. Plus some other bits.
There is a HLV in storage but needs lots of TLC and work.

I only ran (played with) HLV's in school years ago and so have nothing to compare.
And so I ask, can an HLVH do this (finish) ?
The picture is not that good, you could actually see your reflection in the work piece. And my EE is what I would call a "clunker".

1-3/4 DOM steel tubing

Metalcutter

Titanium
Send them both to me. I'll let you run them until you find the one to keep, And I'll pay you for the one you leave!!! (:-o

Sounds like you stumbled into a beautiful experience.

Way BIG regards,

Stan-

car2

Stainless
Gents, thanks again. Didn't mean to flame the fires (again) of the EE versus HLV, my baby's prettier, debate--they're both great machines, of rather similar function and capacity, and each has their particular advantages as everyone has generously pointed out. Above the general similar capacity of both, a bigger machine is needed anyhow.

The EE's going to a forum member out of state that has good use for it making precision parts and prototypes for a business, and employs quite a few people. While I'd love to have it, just to have it, with two such lathes in my shop, one would be sitting idle virtually all the time--rather a waste. It's a win-win in the end and good deals for all, shouldn't ask for much more. Thanks everyone, great input and helpful people here!

mgberry

Aluminum
car2...great find. I have both and live on the north side of Raleigh. Just saw your post. Would enjoy catching up with you to learn more about your projects. I end up using my HLV-H more, but that has more to do with location in my garage.

Matt