What's new
What's new

Advice on the value/utility of a Bridgeport model "J" Vertical Milling Machine

mtimperley

Plastic
I have a Bridgeport model "J" Vertical Milling Machine, 1 HP motor 220-3-60 volts, Serial No. BR-81273 (circa 1965), head J-75298, 42" table, 12" vertical knee, with model "E" Shaping attachment, 1/3 HP motor 110-1-60 volts, Serial No. E-11267. I've kept this machine for many years just in case I might need it, but I'm thinking now I should give it up and reclaim the floor space. My neighbor, who is a used machinery rebuilder/dealer isn't interested. He says it's too old, so there's no market and you can't get repair parts. Although AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with it, and it is still under power (I do use it rarely). I also have some tooling for it, as follows: Bridgeport R-8 spring collets (5/8, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4, 3/16), Bridgeport R8 Taper adapter (2 pieces), Various end mill holders (5 pieces), Bridgeport No.2 Boring head kit (16 pieces), Bridgeport Rotary Table 12 Serial No. 8851, Bridgeport Right Angle Head and 1" arbor with various saws and cutters. The J head currently has a Keyless Jacobs chuck and there is a Heinrich quick slide vice on the table. The table has old school X-Y axis Trav-A-Dial indicators. No CNC...
If I were to sell this machine and all the tooling, what would be a fair asking price? It sat in an unheated room for about 10 years, so it has a "patina" on unpainted surfaces, you can see this in the photo. Is this a collectors/Hobbyist market only? KIMG4019.JPG

If you were much closer to me, I'd offer to buy it from you! I see nothing wrong with that mill! It has value.
Tell your neighbor to go eat rocks! He is probably only interested in machinery he can resale and make enough profit live on for the next year! Comfortably!

Thank you all for your advice. I also have a Clausing Model 6349 12" Lathe, a B&S No.13 grinder, and a Grob Model 4V-18 bandsaw. I kept them all as they made a nice shop, but my career path went from manufacturing to automation engineering and then into process control software, where I have been for the past 25 years. So maybe I held on to these guys a little too long. Any thoughts on where best to list these machines for sale? I'm in RI.

Thank you all for your advice. I also have a Clausing Model 6349 12" Lathe, a B&S No.13 grinder, and a Grob Model 4V-18 bandsaw. I kept them all as they made a nice shop, but my career path went from manufacturing to automation engineering and then into process control software, where I have been for the past 25 years. So maybe I held on to these guys a little too long. Any thoughts on where best to list these machines for sale? I'm in RI.
You're going to retire someday, will machining be a hobby then? Your equipment is bought and paid for and is not costing you a dime.

Why not sell them in here:

And locally, try your local craigslist & FB Marketplace. They all have their various drawbacks when it comes to selling.
I was reading the rules and I'm "Plastic", so not sure I qualify to list. But I could always try and see if I get "canceled"... although first I'll beat some more bushes locally.

This. Unless there's a reason to get rid of it now, don't give it away!
Indeed. That was part of the reason I kept them so long, they weren't costing me anything. But now I have a tenant that wants to use the space and time marches on. For example, I was preparing to make a replacement part and my youngest son says "don't worry dad, I'll just 3d print you one" and he did. I gave him my vernier calipers so he could take some measurements, then he spent a few hours on his computer and like magic, I had my part... OMG of course it was made from plastic, but I didn't really need it in steel.

QT: (He knows not what he's talking about.)
Wrong..He knows that he would like to buy it for $600 and then sell it for $2500..
*Good to go on craigslist to see what your market area will tell (asking prices).

Last edited:
value depends on condition. I have a softspot for step pulleys and column door machines, but value is probably vari head and chrome ways
Check out facebook and craigslist. RI/Eastern Mass there should be a market. To me 2 grand means 'get it out of my garage' and 5 grand is 'wife is making me sell it but I don't want to'
If someone wants the shaping head it might be more profitable to sell it separate

I'm with everyone else on this....easily in the $2-5K range depending on the local market.

The Clausing lathe should be worth a couple of thousand as well if it's sound.

Around here Craigslist has very little action other than a handful of dealers. Most individuals, both buying and selling, have gone to Facebook Marketplace. There are specific buy/sell groups for machinery in general and then some for specific brands. For example, there's a Clausing lathe group you could list the 6349. I listed one of my 6913s there and had a deposit on it in half an hour.

My son just bought what looks like a comparable machine at HGR for $900 zero tooling and needs a good bath but a nice machine. That I think was an excellent deal he got. I think yours is more like $2000-2500. I wouldn't sell it with the shaping head. Sell the shaping head separately but offer it with the mill for a separate price.

I sold a Hardinge HLV-H lathe and a Boxford VSL500 lathe on facebook in a reasonable amount of time. I think the Boxford took maybe a week to 10 days to sell - it was $2,500. The Hardinge was $6,000 and it took a few weeks. I did use the "boost" feature to increase my audience. It didn't amount to much money - maybe $20.

For the most part these are hobby machines. However, they are in serious demand from hobbyists. I suspect your machine broker only want to deal with industrial machines. Craigslist and Facebook market place are the ways to reach hobbyists. Prices vary greatly depending on location as shipping is very expensive. I suspect prices are lower in your area since there were a lot of those machines used around that area back in the day. I would say $2,500 on the BP and $1,500 on the 6300 lathe. I have one of each. Farther away from the NE, prices would be higher.

Back