What's new
What's new

Affordable US-made Mill/Drill?

I have a Mill-drill and to me the round column is a serious drawback. If you want to raise the head, such as changing from a center drill to a longer drill you cannot do it without the head pivoting and losing center. Changing speeds with the 2 belts is also awkward.
Tom

Although it aint what it used to be in its glory days, there are still a few machinery dealers on South Santa Fe. When I first moved to LA in 84, there were still at least 8 or 10 used dealers there, it was a great field trip day. Hit a taco truck, browse a half dozen dealers.

But Wheeler is still down there.
Wheeler Machinery

Skulsky aint far, in Gardena.
Untitled Document

In South El Monte, there is Sterling. High prices, but a lot to look at, to get an idea of what is available.
Dealer Sells Used Lathe, Milling Machine, Metal Shear, Press Brake All Fabricating Machines | Industrial Machine Tools For Sale - Sterling Machinery

Up in Santa Paula, Turner sometimes has interesting stuff.
Turner's Machinery, Inc.

Go look at real machines in person, and get an idea of size, availability, and (high) retail prices.

Thanks for the input everyone, it has helped tremendously. Thanks to "The Gentleman" on this site, I have located and purchased a nice Clausing 8530 for a great price. It came with 30 pounds of bits and such that I'm still sorting through. I got it reassembled in my garage today, and it's absolutely perfect - small enough to squeeze in the garage but big enough to do what I want it for.

Have you any consideration to just building a shed and getting a Bridgeport ?

Sure have, but one of the downsides to living in Southern California is that land is very expensive. As such, we don't own a lot of it and there is no good place for a shed, unless I tear out the wife's garden. She puts up with the cars and tools, and parks her car outside to make room for them. I figure I better let her have the front yard. ;)

what is taking up all the space in your workshop right now?

Four MGs and a Model T in a 2-car garage! Plus the tools, parts, supplies, workbenches and such that I need to maintain them.

Back