What's new
What's new

AgieCharmilles Cut 20P vs Mitsubishi MV1200S

AP2H

Plastic
I need some help to choose an EDM. My company plans to buy time new EDM machine for the first, so we don’t have any experience and knowledge about the wide variety of different machine brands. In our business we use progressive dies to produce different kind of products, but mainly it is mass production. We would need EDM to make knifes, punches, and other parts for the dies. It would be the same parts all the time.

Now I am choosing between Mitsubishi MV1200S and AgieCharmilles Cut 20P. My priorities are: wire consumption, speed, reliability, accuracy.

Which machine would you recommend and why?

I need some help to choose an EDM. My company plans to buy time new EDM machine for the first, so we don’t have any experience and knowledge about the wide variety of different machine brands. In our business we use progressive dies to produce different kind of products, but mainly it is mass production. We would need EDM to make knifes, punches, and other parts for the dies. It would be the same parts all the time.

Now I am choosing between Mitsubishi MV1200S and AgieCharmilles Cut 20P. My priorities are: wire consumption, speed, reliability, accuracy.

Which machine would you recommend and why?

Based solely on your criteria I'd say you would do well with either.

... but your criteria are not enough, you need to consider service and support too.

Based on that I would have to recommend the Agie-Charmiiles machine.

I do so based on my experience with our Agie-Charmilles machines and what I have heard and read from others concerning Mitsubishi's service and support.

(My personal dealings with Mitsubishi began and ended with listening to their sales pitch and answers to our questions when we were shopping for a new machine in 1999.)

Based solely on your criteria I'd say you would do well with either.

... but your criteria are not enough, you need to consider service and support too.

Based on that I would have to recommend the Agie-Charmiiles machine.

I do so based on my experience with our Agie-Charmilles machines and what I have heard and read from others concerning Mitsubishi's service and support.

(My personal dealings with Mitsubishi began and ended with listening to their sales pitch and answers to our questions when we were shopping for a new machine in 1999.)

Personally I have always had good results with Mitsubishi support.
I have dealt with support from both companies and have had a 180° opinion from yours. Oddly enough I was running a '98 ct510 and a couple '97ish ct290's and a 6020.

To the OP I can tell you a MV1200 is small... too small in my opinion. Anything with those itty bitty tables are just going to frustrate you because they are so limited.

:cheers:

Can someone compare the wire consumption between two machines? Mitsubishi tells me that their machines are slightly slower, but it uses much less wire than Agie Charmille machines.

in my humble opinion wire should be the least of your concerns wire is the cheapest consumable on either machine SERVICE is paramont
Check about service in your area ,much more important just my two cents

I think your priorities are nearly in the reverse order they should be. I think wire consumption might not be the biggest differentiator between the total cost of ownership of different brands of machines. In my experience these are "finicky" machines. Cleanliness and regular maintenance are paramount in keeping these machines running up to the speed and accuracy/surface finish performance they are rated for. A good local (at least as local as you can get) source of service, parts and consumables may be more important in brand selction.

The cost of ownership of these machines is much higher than say a machining or turning center.

Whichever machine you choose make sure it will handle large (44/55 lb) wire-spools.

This is a must if you plan on lights-out cutting.

I know that on our CUT-200/400 machines this was an option we had to specify.

I have you looked at Sodicks? We have had Mits and Charmilles machines in the past. The last 3 machines we bought were Sodicks and couldn't be more happy with their performance.

I have you looked at Sodicks? We have had Mits and Charmilles machines in the past. The last 3 machines we bought were Sodicks and couldn't be more happy with their performance.

There is no support of Sodicks in my region.

Hi AP2H:
Is there support for Makino in Latvia?
Makino makes special claims about low wire consumption compared to the other machines you've mentioned.
Their quality is also first class, but they are a bit less well known than Agie Charmilles.
Those who can afford them seem to love them.
They appear to be priced about like the Agie Charmilles machines.
Maybe Brian Pfluger or Bud Guitrau from Makino will chime in and tell you more.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Clarus Microtech

STAY AWAY FROM THE CUT 20!!!! Very clunky and problematic. Also, its mostly made in china. All pumps and components are low quality. Software interface isn't very user friendly. We had a new unit on the floor for 6 months before we couldn't take it any longer.

I would be looking at an entry level Makino. Just my opinion.

Hi AP2H:
Is there support for Makino in Latvia?
Makino makes special claims about low wire consumption compared to the other machines you've mentioned.
Their quality is also first class, but they are a bit less well known than Agie Charmilles.
Those who can afford them seem to love them.
They appear to be priced about like the Agie Charmilles machines.
Maybe Brian Pfluger or Bud Guitrau from Makino will chime in and tell you more.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Clarus Microtech

Makino is very user friendly but Agie / charmilles is more accurate. remember to look at the prices of other consumer goods to the machines (filter , contacts, track ) and if you can buy parts that is not original parts(cheaper)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add a big +1 to what ernieflash said.

In my experience, wire cost is pretty much meaningless. Even one day of extra downtime due to poor/slow service or inadequate parts support, you have just lost the equivalent of many rolls of wire.

The things that lead to happiness (aka: productivity with least problems) are:
- rock solid service and parts support
- a machine that is easy for you to maintain (proactive preventative maintenance is key on wire machines)
- a programming system that creates perfect code with no glitches for your machine
- high quality tooling for parts holding
- ... and (IMO) a very clean and environmentally-controlled room for the wire machine

In the long run, I've found that the above items are what allow the machine to run reliably and consistently, and will lead to the highest production with the least problems.

PM

Back