What's new
What's new

Alfred Herbert Ltd Arbor Press

Bassebus

Plastic
Hi everyone,
I found this arbor press at a garage sale and I'd love to find out more about it. I've seen a lot of vintage Drake presses, etc out there, but have yet to see one of these. Given that Alfred Herbert Ltd was a huge machine manufacturer there must be some information on it. So it's an Alfred Herbert Ltd, Edgwick / Coventry, No 00, and it has a serial number(?) that says F1860 on top. It has clear wear on it, but it works really well, smooth and solid. If anyone has an idea of what year it could be, what pressure it has (1 ton?), and also there would be idea to 'restore it' in terms of paint. I didn't even know exactly what it was when I bought it for 25cents, and had to look it up. I just thought it looked neat and would absolutely serve SOME kind of purpose in the shop. Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• AP1.jpg
    AP1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 513
  • AP2.jpg
    AP2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 425
  • AP3.jpg
    AP3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 411
  • AP4.jpg
    AP4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 307
The "no 00" on the side is a kind of size number - it's capacity is likely to be close that of modern dake 00. (sort like 1/2 ton pickup trucks are generally comparable, at least for any given era.)

I would guess (guess!) that's a 1 ton capacity press.

I would like to give you an opportunity to give you a ROI OF 10X of what you paid for it.

Ha ha. Thank you kindly for the offer. From what I see on eBay, we'd have to add a couple of zeros to that ROI. :-). I'm bummed I can't find any more info on this specific make & model. Any ideas on authorities on old arbor presses and such? I appreciate all the feedback!

Alfred Herberts were huge, both manufacturing their own products and agents / concessionaires for many other manufacturers in both Europe and USA.

They had a catalouge of over 600 pages of small tools alone Ref - The Historic Coventry Forum: Alfred Herbert's

AH's exported all over the world, though (obviously) the British Empire was high on their customer list, and I believe a lot went to Canada.

So there's every possibility your press was just one of their catalouge items, and no doubt often ordered by the dozen? The stamped serial #s would be just part of AH's record keeping - for which at one time they had a good reputation.

As to date? ......a simple arbor press wouldn't have changed much (if any) over the years, so the same pattern could have run from about 1900 through to their closure.

The inserted nameplate is genuine Herbert as I have it on some special stuff.It's hard to say if the little press is a Herbert manufactured part or not,because as my learned friend says above they factored so much stuff.
Alfred Herbert was the biggest machine tool company in the world at one time,but,in true modern British fashion if you want to find out anything from their archives,you need to email the Coventry Museum who's website does not mention him and is mainly interested in selling courses.

Exactly what information is the OP wanting to know about this very simple machine?

I've just had a thank you message from an ebay seller and he casually mentioned he started his apprenticeship with Herberts in 1959 as a miller.
I've invited him to contact me by email and hopefully can get him to apply for membership of this forum as we could do with some more guys from the old British machine tool manufacturers on here.
Btw there's a big shortage of guys from the USA manufacturers too but I suppose age is beating everyone from both sides of the pond.

The inserted nameplate is genuine Herbert as I have it on some special stuff.It's hard to say if the little press is a Herbert manufactured part or not,because as my learned friend says above they factored so much stuff.
Alfred Herbert was the biggest machine tool company in the world at one time,but,in true modern British fashion if you want to find out anything from their archives,you need to email the Coventry Museum who's website does not mention him and is mainly interested in selling courses.

Exactly what information is the OP wanting to know about this very simple machine?

Hi Mark,
I thanks for the response. I realize that it is a simple machine, and a common at that. Basically, since I'm not 'in the line of business', I'm just generally curious about it. I guess what i am aiming at is if this could have some kind of collector's value down the line, and if so, should one leave it as it is, or restore it by de-rusting, painting etc, which could be a nice little project. As I mentioned before, I've seen a lot of other brands out there, but not an Alfred Herbert Ltd in this size.

I wouldn't bank on it having any collector value for a while (prolly ever) but it is a usefull little arbor press .As to rareness ,I have never seen another Edgewick one, the most popular in the UK are probably Jones and Shipman who came from Leicester which is a city just down the road from Coventry. The original paint would probably be very dark grey.

Hi everyone,
I found this arbor press at a garage sale and I'd love to find out more about it. I've seen a lot of vintage Drake presses, etc out there, but have yet to see one of these. Given that Alfred Herbert Ltd was a huge machine manufacturer there must be some information on it. So it's an Alfred Herbert Ltd, Edgwick / Coventry, No 00, and it has a serial number(?) that says F1860 on top. It has clear wear on it, but it works really well, smooth and solid. If anyone has an idea of what year it could be, what pressure it has (1 ton?), and also there would be idea to 'restore it' in terms of paint. I didn't even know exactly what it was when I bought it for 25cents, and had to look it up. I just thought it looked neat and would absolutely serve SOME kind of purpose in the shop. Any thoughts appreciated!
Where you able to find any catalogs for their presses? I have recently had a hydraulic version.

Back