What's new
What's new

Allen Bradley PowerFlex 4 error E005 after 1day without prduction

kkopjar

Plastic
Dear all,

I have question regarding AB powerflex4. We using this type of ac drive for controling transport system of one machine. The machine have three transport table (Insertion table, main table and extraction table). The problem is that curently we dont work in Sundays, so machine is in stand by state and problem starts at monday when I want to make one cycle (one complete turn of the all three transport table) I getting error E005. I need to spend 30 to 60 min to reseting error when I finnaly get it moving. Once its start to move I dont have anymore any problems,It happens only if we dont use machine 24h, so I would appreciate if somebody can help me understand and resolve this. Which parameter I need to check/change to resolve this. If somebody will need more information about whole thing, please feel free to ask.

Thnak you in advance.

It looks like fault codes are Fx, not Ex. F5 is DC bus overvoltage. This is typically caused by either the controls trying to brake the motor too fast without an adequate braking resistor, or excessive input voltage.

Is it possible that the voltage is high until some other section of the plant (or a neighbour) starts consuming significant power, lowering the voltage? Measure it.

If that's not the right code, I might not be looking at the right model number or firmware version. Check the exact drive you have and its manual.

Thanks on fast reply. Yes it looks like you described. The drive which we using are 22A-D2P3N104, so its possibel to change something in the parameters to avoid this problem, if yes, can you please explain which parameter. I never have any problems with this ones so Im begginer with this one, because of that I ask you for the help.

Thanks a lot one more time.

If it is indeed an overvoltage situation, it may have more to do with Sunday and less to do with the drive.

Because businesses are closed Sunday, the mains voltage supplied may be higher due to having less load on the power system. That may be causing the overvoltage error.

For overvoltage, there is no parameter available to change that, since it is based on the drive capability. Some drives have a small amount of adjustment, but I did not see it for that series.

There IS a parameter controlling the braking resistor, to reduce high bus voltage that is due to stopping the motor rapidly. But that is not for controlling high voltage from the power company.

If you can disconnect power to the drive over Sunday, that may entirely fix the problem.

If it is indeed an overvoltage situation, it may have more to do with Sunday and less to do with the drive.

Because businesses are closed Sunday, the mains voltage supplied may be higher due to having less load on the power system. That may be causing the overvoltage error.

For overvoltage, there is no parameter available to change that, since it is based on the drive capability. Some drives have a small amount of adjustment, but I did not see it for that series.

There IS a parameter controlling the braking resistor, to reduce high bus voltage that is due to stopping the motor rapidly. But that is not for controlling high voltage from the power company.

If you can disconnect power to the drive over Sunday, that may entirely fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply. I understand you, but its strange because we have three machine of this type, and all three is the same, also all three have same AC drives and only on this one we have mentioned problem. Now the same happens today. During problem with lack of the raw material we working only morning shifts 6:00-14:00 this month, so the problem appears today also. You think that is not possible to resolve this one with current AC drives. What will be final solutiom, can I change it with some other type which is not so sensitive on the voltage change, if I can, which one would you recomend?

Thanks

That's a 380V-480V drive being operated on I assume a 400V system. It shouldn't be tripping on just a slightly high supply voltage.

Can you measure the actual supply AC voltage for each of the faulty and working drives, and extract the DC bus voltage (both at idle and under load) from the drive?

Does the motor start to turn before the drive faults? Normally an overvoltage fault only occurs during braking operation, or from a very excessive input voltage. Depending on the motor application, it's possible that something like an unloader valve, spring, or brake has failed, meaning that the equipment tries to turn the motor at some point in the startup process.

If the programming is identical, you could try swapping the drive with one on another machine and seeing whether the defect moves.

You probably need to contact a local automation engineer familiar with debugging AB drives.

If there are several drives , and only one shows a fault, there is always the chance that for some reason that one drive is over-sensitive. Possibly variation of component values inside, maybe an actual defect.

Also it might be that the drive is connected to power in a place that gets more overvoltage than the other drives.

Without seeing what the maximum voltage on that particular drive was, it is almost impossible to understand the real problem.

While that's possible, overvolting a 480V-nominal drive on a 380/400/415 supply would be highly unusual. I would expect it to be OK up to +15%, which is 550VAC. Typically they trip when the DC bus hits 820VDC, or about rectified 580VAC. That's about 40% above nominal.

Back