What's new
What's new

An unpleasant surprise in my Pratt & Whitney 12C

Have drawings I made to adapt Timkens - though only a fair chance of even them being available in precision class. I'll see if I can get them scanned and posted here. If you want to poke around about their availability they are Timken 47490
For what its worth - the seven drawings?
I had to adapt taper rollers for my Holbrook Model C, the QCGB originally had 1985/1986/1922B - the B is flanged and long-obsolete! I was offered the set as special-order for £500 per bearing, minimum order quantity 500... so I put a circlip groove in the outer diameter of standard 1922 outers, Horn grooving tool and nice glowing curls coming off, but they fit and worked!

Dave H. (the other one)

Well fate has intervened and new spindle bearings have been located. A firm in the UK had the middle bearing as NOS For $150. An obsolete bearing distributor in the US has the front one - supposedly the last know one in inventory - but they want $1600. Scheerer bearing in PA had brand new ones they made last summer in stock and ready to ship for about $900ea. So I have one NOS and one brand new bearing on the way. Much better than the $2600 I was quoted, which I expect were the Scheerer bearings with a huge markup by the distributor.

I did find several precision angular contact bearings that could be made to fit but even old stock were between $800 to $1000 per pair and two pairs would be required plus time and materials to make a flanged adapter cup.

Back