What's new
What's new

Analam Wizard help

Froneck

Titanium
Not sure if this is the correct forum but I have a problem with my Analam Wizard DRO. Up to Thursday night the readout was working fine as it is set-up to do. It's on my Moore #3 Jig bore. Reads in .0001 increments as it would be needed on a Jig Borer. Friday while sitting at my computer at home which is on the same power line as my shop being about 100 yards away. (Not the same pole transformer) My computer shut down due to power interuption, as I sat at my desk the desk light having an old incandescent bulb would go from full brilliance to about half, may have blinked off for a short period but eventually all power was lost.That was near 10AM. Power was restored at about 3:30pm. Having to complete some work in my Jig Borer I went to the shop. DRO was blinking indicating power loss. Pushed set button and all returned to "Normal"
But something was not right, I was getting odd readings. Using the Dial on the machine and rotating the handle 1 turn (exactly .1000") DRO is reading .5000". Tested both axis and they are the same! To complete the job I multiplied the needed reading X 5 and completed the work.
DRO came with the machine, I never had a problem with power interruption before but I don't have the manual. Is there some setting I need to enter? Seems to be set-op to read .0005 scale. I addition I have a Sargon DRO on my Toolmaster mill, I think it too was on before power interruption but now will not do anything. Outlet it's pluged into does have power. I check tomorrow there ma be a fuse in the unit.

JST

Diamond
Unlikely it is something like a fuse, as it works, just works wrong.

First thing I would do is to remove power, wait a full minute (or longer), and apply power again. Something may have gotten scrambled in memory when power was applied.

Let the thing do it's normal start-up, and all may be well again.

Froneck

Titanium
My fuse diagnosis was for the other DRO on the Toolmaster mill. It's off but outlet is powered and will not turn on, completely dead. Work light plugged into same outlet turns on. Didn't do more checking as I was interested in the Analam unit.
I did remove power from the Analam, flipped power switch to off and removed plug. Waited a few minutes re-applied power, flipped switch, all works as before, .1000" movement reads .5000". I assume there is some setting to tell the unit to what scale it's connected to. Not sure why but power interruptions both long and short never caused a problem. However the unit may have started in default and I need to change it to .0001 scales. Not having manual I don't know how. Looked on the web but can't find exact model. I'll post a photo of the unit later. As I mentioned I'm not sure power went completely off but was flickering between full and low for about a minute as I noticed on my desk light. I don't remember if it went completely off but I don't recall it doing so.

JST

Diamond
Hmmmmmmmmm flickering power can do nasty things. Stored values can get corrupted, etc.

It sounds as if a display scaling factor got corrupted, since it is consistent and a reasonably simple math error. But it is unusual that it was so precisely corrupted.

Does this help?

Froneck

Titanium
Here is a photo of the DRO I have and the model. Hard to see but it's A166-3000000
Yes the display is exact. I recall when I received the machine how accurate the dials were compared to the DRO, they matched in reading! Haven't used the dials since the DRO is easier. But now in checking the DRO it is reading 5x the dials. So I assume there is a setting to determine what resolution the scales are connected. I have .0001" scales and DRO is probably set for .0005" scales.
I check the Analam site can't find A166 unit. I also have a miniwizard A163 that was using .0005" scales

Attachments

• CIMG2169.JPG
    CIMG2169.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 5
  • CIMG2170.JPG
    CIMG2170.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 5

Froneck

Titanium
I will try entering F20 but looking at the photo I see no F key on my unit. Maybe that Dot to the right of 0 is the F key. I'll see what it does later to day. I'll also look to see if I have inch or metric scales if the numbers are still on the scales. Thanks!!!
Did check and found fuse in Sargon unit but it's good. Will do more testing though I did check power cord and it's OK too.

Last edited:

CarbideTip

Aluminum
Hi there. I think I have a copy of the right manual for this readout. Here's a copy of the 'settings' page:

1668343554866.png

My lathe came with the lathe version (only X and Z) but the manual covers all versions from what I can tell.
If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send it to you.

If it loses it's settings when you turn it off you can replace the battery backed memory chip.
ISTR they were supposed to last 10 years but these units date from the 1980's.

Cheers from over the pond,
Martin

Froneck

Titanium
Thanks to Carbide Tip that e-mailed me the manual. I did push #8 ten times and got into settings. X was 1000111, Y and Z were 0000111. I changed X to 0000111 and nothing changed. Changed X and Y to 0000000, being Z is not used I did nothing to it. Works!! now when moving the dial .1000" DRO displays .10000. Tested it to be sure it was accurate and it is! But I now have an extra 0 as the last digit that does not change. I tried all combinations of the last 3 digits 011, 001, 101, 100 but none removed that 5th 0. I got what I think was diameter since reading was 2X but only combination to get the correct travel was all 0 in last 3 places. However it's working! I'll read the manual over again to see if I can determine what to do. Manual is a bit confusing in that the first digit is supposed to be for scale resolution. Other than having an extra 0 the DRO seems to be working as it did. I probably will have to locate and change the battery.
Next is the Sargon DRO that is completely dead, odd I get 2 problems at the same time, the Anilam was probably due to dead battery.

Last edited:

CarbideTip

Aluminum
For the Anilam unit the settings are held in a battery-backed memory chip. The battery and chip are all in one package so you cannot (easily) replace just the battery.
However the chip is in a socket so you don't need to do any soldering.

Here's the main board (mine only has two axes so some parts are not fitted)

pcb.jpg

The battery backed memory:
Battery_SRAM.jpg

Note the date code on mine 8821 (week 21 of 1988)!!

So it's a Dallas DS1225. I bought a replacement from Farnell in the UK (Newark in the US) but probably available from Digikey, Mouser etc.

NVram.jpg

Obviously this is from my unit and others may be different. Be sure to unplug the supply before dismantling.
Be very careful when changing the chip and make sure to put the new one in the same way round.
Martin

Attachments

• Battery_SRAM.jpg
    Battery_SRAM.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1

Froneck

Titanium
Thanks again Martin. Rereading the manual I see the code I should have used is1000101 in X and 0000101 in Y. Not sure why the last 3 digits being 0 worked unless I have .00005 scales. First digit in X is for turn on in inch or metric.
I'll try re-entering the code and see what happens. I check to see if I can find the memory chip! Thanks again!!!