What's new
What's new

Another Deckel Contour 3 dead : error 30 : ba16

Mustick

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I used my FP2A for a few months without fresh batteries, and everything worked fine. I haven’t started the machine for a month or two, and I know have an issue with the controller.

I already changed all three batteries. The error occurs when I do the reset on mode 16 : delete then enter. Due to dead batteries, I had to do this operation almost every time I started the machine. But now, the screen freezes while testing. Previously, it only took like 4-5 seconds before an OK would appear. But now, it seems like it’s testing forever.

I had this error before changing the batteries. The error code is 30 : ba16 and shows right when I hit the « enter » button when initializing the machine.

Any idea? Seems like an eprom something to me, unfortunately, I have no electronic background with me …

Thank you

Geoff

I just ran into this problem. Machine was working fine yesterday. This morning when I turned it on the boot stops with a 30 BA16 error. What's that indicate, what should I do next?

In mode 16, the screen has a message I have not seen before: start is not possible, program saving is not possible; initialize with <clear> and <quitt>

This is a D4 machine now, used to be D2 until I upgraded earlier this year. What is <clear> and <quitt>??

I have not replaced the batteries that were installed by Rich, but since the machine was running fine last night I doubt that is the problem.

I checked the input voltage to the green box, it is 401V, the same across all three pairs of wires. Maybe I need to find a different tap on the transformer and bring it down a bit.

No, didn't help. It is on the lowest tap. The Phase Perfect output is 244V, so probably the Deckel 380V transformer is expecting 220. Anyway, that is unlikely to the the cause. I ran the D2 control at 400V for over a decade.

Last edited:
Clear and Quit I believe translates to Delete and Enter on the upper keypad. Did you pull and reseat the K10 and X120 connectors while under power?

The mode is shown on the screen only in mode 16. In modes 1-15 the message is the same: BA 00. 30:BA16. In Mode 16 that changes to BA16 01 (in addition to the text mentioned above (initialize with <clear> and <quitt>).

Rich, I have not tried anything yet other than rebooting a few times and changing mode. With D2 I only had to do the full reset once in 10 years or so, so I need to do some reading up in prior posts about that, It was going to be my next move, along with ordering new batteries. The only prior issue I had with the D4 control was a loss of program memory, needed to re-input all my programs one day. So maybe battery replacement is due.

Last I checked in late 2022, battery voltages were fine. In any event, there should have been replacement batteries in the bottom of the big green cabinet. They would have bee cordless phone packs instead of the on-board Saft coin cell packs. I had to do full resets once in a while, mainly when programs with out of place or incorrect characters were uploaded. D4 was not at all forgiving of file errors.

OK, pulling the K10 jumpers and the green plug on the NSV card, followed by delete/enter in mode 16 followed by a power cycle brought it back. Programs are all gone. I did see an error 35 after the delete/enter (which translates to communication fault) but the power cycle cleared that. New batteries are next.

OK, pulling the K10 jumpers and the green plug on the NSV card, followed by delete/enter in mode 16 followed by a power cycle brought it back. Programs are all gone. I did see an error 35 after the delete/enter (which translates to communication fault) but the power cycle cleared that. New batteries are next.
I would measure battery voltages first. It's rather involved and a little risky to replace the Saft coin cell on-board packs. The big six-pack battery in the console is quite new, and I'd be surprised if that one has died already.

The nicad pack in the bottom of the console is nice and new, dated 2021. The button pack on the NSP card is dated 2009, so I will replace it. I did see an error 30 at one point today which indicates a possible nvram issue. Question is, is the replacement done by replacing individual batteries or by replacing the pack? If the latter, does anyone have a U.S. source for the pack? Here are some photos. As you can see in the second image, the battery pack was installed by soldering. Are there two batteries or three in the pack? The middle "lump" is smaller than the two batteries at each end and does not appear to have the spring clip like the end batteries have.IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's a solder job. Did you find the loose batteries in the bottom of the green cabinet? Those were intended to be soldered with long enough wires to reach the pads where the coil cell packs are currently mounted.

As far as I know, it's a solder job. Did you find the loose batteries in the bottom of the green cabinet? Those were intended to be soldered with long enough wires to reach the pads where the coil cell packs are currently mounted.
Yes I found those. Not sure how to wire a replacement, since there are four contacts not two. I will look more closely at the board, perhaps there are two pairs, with two in common for each polarity. It looks like I would need to remove the battery pack to see that, the traces are not on the back side of the circuit board.

Yes I found those. Not sure how to wire a replacement, since there are four contacts not two. I will look more closely at the board, perhaps there are two pairs, with two in common for each polarity. It looks like I would need to remove the battery pack to see that, the traces are not on the back side of the circuit board.
I am fairly sure two of the four pins are dummies just for mechanical attachment of the coin cell packs.

Yes, that was the case. I went ahead and replaced the SAFT battery in the console on the NSP card with a NiMH 3.6V cell phone battery, but I don't think it will solve the problem. The SAFT battery has 3.93V. So there must be some other explanation for the problem. This is the second time the problem happened, both caused a loss of stored programs. I checked the SAFT battery in the cabinet, and it had 4.0V, even though it is the same age (2009), so I did not replace it. I will monitor the voltage of the SAFT battery removed from the NSP card over the next few weeks to see if it retains its voltage.

Rich, I saw from some of your previous posts that the problem has been there at least since 2009, possibly the prior owner saw it as well.

Question for those of you with some knowledge of both D2 and D4 hardware: which D2 boards are compatible with D4? I have a lot of spare D2 boards, so I could try swapping any that are compatible with D4 that might be the source of the problem.

Last edited:
Think the only D2 board that can be used in a D4 control is if you have the angle encoder on the 2038 table you can use the D2 NZP board in the 4th axis slot.
pretty sure everything else is D4 specific.

Memory or program loss is usually a battery problem. Have seen poor solder joint cause this at the SAFT battery. Battery shows good voltage,just not getting to the board.
Anytime the ribbon jumper K10 is removed the memory will be cleared.
When you do a reload of the e-proms the control does a memory self test, i assume it passed.

Cheers Ross

I learned to view the D4 memory as temporary apart from the spindle warmup program. Sometimes it would last a year before a reset and sometimes it would last a month. Make sure valuable programs are backed up, of course.

Ross, thanks for the reply. It is something I can live with. I need to take Rich's advice to heart and backup anything of value. Wish I had done that for the program I wrote to make a Hilma vise base. I have another Hilma vise needing a base and a lot of work went into that program.

Back