What's new
What's new

Another old Hendy, 14x 6

J Henricksen

Stainless
We've had this for about 6 years now. I have only had to put new belts on it. It came with the 3 jaw, 4 jaw chuck, and a steady rest. I repair machinery so this is more for making one-off things. It was rescraped and set up by a company out of Indiana before I got it. Little tag on headstock is for the dept of defense us army. I'm guessing ti came out of Rock Island.
The belt tensionner is broken in a few places, making new bits is one of my rainy day projects.
Serial number 20695

20220122_135506[1].jpg20220122_135527[1].jpg20220122_135550[1].jpg20220122_142512[1].jpg20220122_135506[1].jpg

J Henricksen

Stainless
Thank you John. I've been using that manual a bit. Threading is so easy on the. Had to make the bottom control rod and stops. I still need to make the cross slide stop for setting full depth.
Do you have any more info on its origins?

hendeyman

Stainless
JHenricksen:

Hendey lathe No. 20695, a 14 x 6 Cone Head model, was completed during mid-August 1918 and is considered a 1913 design model. The Cabinet
Legs would indicate that this lathe was rebuilt by Hendey, I will post the information from the original Rebuild Order. You are correct
about it having been owned by an armory, not Rockford, but Springfield.

Date Ordered: December 19, 1934
Date Started: January 4, 1935
Sold to: Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory, Springfield, Massachusetts
Via: Prepaid
To Be Inspected
Description: To Be thoroughly rebuilt Lathe Serial #20695
1- 14" x 6' Cone Type Lathe with taper Attachment
Change to Cabinet Leg Type and furnish steel oil pan
Furnish and Fit Cone Motor Drive
The collar on the tail end of the main spindle shall be graduated for the purpose of facilitating the cutting of
multiple threads.
New guards are to be added with lever control for the Intermediate feed gears.
Furnish and Fit 2 HP General Electric Motor Type E - Frame 225, 550 Volts, 3 Phase, 60 cycles,1200 RPM with CR
7006-D40 starter and BS 79J Push Button station
Same accuracy as a new machine

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

J Henricksen

Stainless
The taper attachment is missing. I don't see any marks to indicate it was ever there.
The pedestal under the headstock has a motor mounting plate keyed vertically to the base and a large jack screw on the bottom to control the height/belt tension. This one has had a two hp single phase motor installed. With my new belts stretching, I don't know if a three phase motor's performance would be noticed. I try to not take heavy cuts anyway.I do have the cover that goes over the large back gear, one mounting flat is broken off and I haven't welded it back together yet.
I also received a set of collets and a collet taper adapter. I don't think they are for this machine. They are Hendy collets and fit the spindle but the largest collet holds a .250 part. They go as small as 1/16th. This old beast is too slow for cutting those sizes I think.