What's new
What's new

Another "please ID this lathe" sold by Nienstædt Copenhagen

My first thought was that it is an early Colchester , the bed and tail stock are reminiscent of this 1919 model
Colchester lathe circa 1919

(still trying to find a better picture of the early machines)

[edit] possibly Britannia , but if he married in Manchester it is perhaps more likely to be one of the many Northern English manufacturers....

This is just the situation where a searchable index of Tony's site would be handy (google's search is not specific enough) .

Imagine being able to specify an approximate date (+/- 10years), rough size (swing) , perhaps country , bed design (dovetail, prismatic..) , tail stock detail etc. and then be presented with a sensibly short list to check.

Bill

I don't know anything about the lathe but the name plate has some oddities...... The spelling Kiobenhaven with an " I" and the suffix "B"?......... What is with that and I couldn't find either?...... Could the "B" stand for that district north of Norboro?........ Maybe we could learn more if we can pin down an address.

I think the I in KIøbenhavn is supposed to be a J, but it was in former times totally acceptable to use the i instead of the j. Likewise with v and u. Many names has been spelled both ways.
Officially the name was changed in 1906 from Kjøbenhavn to København, but the old name kept its use in a lot of company names.

The Kjøbenhavn B, is the neighborhood of the "Glyptotek" acc. to this link : B-Kvarteret (København) - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi

No adress yet. ;)

Thanks, now I know..... Maybe I can use that bit of Danish trivia to win a beer...... I guess every company didn't rush out in 1906 and print new letterheads or cast new name plates so that information can't date the lathe.

My first thought was that it is an early Colchester , the bed and tail stock are reminiscent of this 1919 model
Colchester lathe circa 1919

(still trying to find a better picture of the early machines)

[edit] possibly Britannia , but if he married in Manchester it is perhaps more likely to be one of the many Northern English manufacturers....

This is just the situation where a searchable index of Tony's site would be handy (google's search is not specific enough) .

Imagine being able to specify an approximate date (+/- 10years), rough size (swing) , perhaps country , bed design (dovetail, prismatic..) , tail stock detail etc. and then be presented with a sensibly short list to check.

Bill

Yes, a better search function, on Tony's site, would be very nice indeed.
I have looked on a lot of Brittania images, and they are close.
The ones in Denmark, do have open legs, without the spoke in the bottom, as most I find images of, have.

Thanks for your effort in this mystery. :)

Søren

I got an email from a guy in Denmark has been collecting pictures of Nienstædt lathes. He send them all to me, you might find them of interest.
Thank you Leif!
Here ya go. :)

Back