I made this 6" bull nose center.

bullnose.jpg

A mini fly cutter.

littleflycutter.jpg

some nice smoking pipes for tobacco . :smoking:
pipe.jpg

I have more but not on this computer.

Not machinist tools

These are not a machinist tools but they are tools. Non brass parts of the body are 410 stainless steel and the irons are 0-1.

And I will have to qualify these as shop made tools, not home made, as they are made as a product to sell.

Ron

www.breseplane.com

Attachments

• _DSC3871.jpg
    _DSC3871.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6,774
  • _DSC3961.jpg
    _DSC3961.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,132
  • _DSC4015.jpg
    _DSC4015.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3,279
These are not a machinist tools but they are tools. Non brass parts of the body are 410 stainless steel and the irons are 0-1.

And I will have to qualify these as shop made tools, not home made, as they are made as a product to sell.

Ron

Brese Plane, Hand Planes for Woodworking

this thread is about tools not art:eek:
amazing work man!
there is a thread around were about the definition of craftsmanship, I think your planes qualify :cheers:

Some chasing hammers I made

Some of these are old,and the "graceful"ones more recently made.

Most of these were made from 1" dia. drill rod. The larger headed hammer with the shorter handle is for driving engraving chisels. It is mild steel thoroughly case hardened/

The handles of the chasing hammers are ash. I made them too. The "graceful" hammers have hickory handles I bought years ago,Tatum brand. For very small ball pein hammers. I wish I had more.

These are all for silver work. I drew the graceful ones to a spring blue temper,about 52 R.C..

Obviously,1 is a blank ready to mill the faces flat,and mill the eye out. First,I'd smooth out the surface nicely,then mill the flats,and smooth them so as not to leave sluffed over edges,and leave everything nice and crisp.

The handles are stained with potassium permanganate. It leaves a nice brown color. Finished over with Tru Oil gunstock finish.

Attachments

• graceful hammers close.jpg
    graceful hammers close.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,433
  • chasing hammers.jpg
    chasing hammers.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,283
  • graceful hammers.jpg
    graceful hammers.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8,161
  • blank hammer.jpg
    blank hammer.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6,439
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,026
Some planes I made

I have made quite a few infill planes,but didn't take pictures of them except for these.

The 2 steel planes are dovetailed together by hand. The small one is like a 1/2 size salesman's sample I saw in a collection. Very rare,and you never see them,so I made one for myself. The brass shoulder plane is stuffed with rosewood, Has adjustable mouth,and is 1 3/8" wide.

The 1/2 size one is also stuffed with rosewood,and is the only plane I have seen with the "sacrificial" screw on the front. You tap on it to advance the blade. usually on the rear to retract the blade,and you tap on the top of the blade to advance it.

I may have posted these before,but can't recall.

Attachments

• _DSC0773.jpg
    _DSC0773.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,945
  • _DSC0779.jpg
    _DSC0779.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 876
  • _DSC0769.jpg
    _DSC0769.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5,234
  • _DSC0777.jpg
    _DSC0777.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 701
  • _DSC0776.jpg
    _DSC0776.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 659
An Ellipsograph(oval drawing tool)

This is an 18th.C. style ellipsograph I made with my new journeyman about a year before I retired. It was seen on The Woodwright's Shop being used by Marcus Hansen,my old journeyman from the Musical Instrument Maker's Shop.

It is mahogany and brass. I taught my new journeyman how to make concave knurls while making this device,and the knurls were use on the knobs seen here. Also seen is a little swivel knife attachment that can be used to cut out paper patterns of ellipses,should need be.

The Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop in Williamsburg,Va. used this device to reproduce the decorated,veneered interior of a tool chest which you can now see there.

The 3rd. photo shows the "T" tracks that the brass guide blocks slide in. The action is quite smooth.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,626
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,569
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,927

Back