What's new
What's new

Any recomadations on a roughness surface tester?

You can get cheap Chinese imports off of Ebay for about $500, but I wouldn't touch them. The better ones from Mitutoyo or Federal Mahr are running somewhere between $1800 and $2400 for the portable ones.

Federal Mahr "Pocket Surf" :
Portable Instruments - Mahr Metrology

Mitutoyo has a couple of different ones. I've used the SJ-201's and some others, but they just discontinued the SJ-201.

Mitutoyo America Corporation

Since I don't have anything but a home shop to play in I really don't need one, but I couldn't resist this old gem on Ebay. It's going to cost me a few hundred bucks and take some time to find the probes and other accessories, but it'll be a nice unit again someday soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MITUTOYO-SURFTE...121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf3073c19

We have a Mitutoyo that works great. I think we paid around $800. for it used, but in like new condition. Better plan on buying a stand for it if it doesn't come with one. It should be standard equipment with any of them, they need it to be universal and avoid jury rigging every time you use it.

I have a Mitutoyo Surftest 211 that doesn't operate. What does it cost to have them repaired - is it worth repairing?
Is Mitutoyo like some other companies that have a flat price for repair regardless of what's wrong?

I have a Mitutoyo Surftest 211 that doesn't operate. What does it cost to have them repaired - is it worth repairing?
Is Mitutoyo like some other companies that have a flat price for repair regardless of what's wrong?

No, it's not worth having repaired. They will charge you a flat fee of $3000. I will help you out and give you the same $9.95 (plus shipping) that I paid for the one I have, so I can have more parts.

:D

I recommend you get the Mahr/Federal Pocket Surf. A little basic in its measurements, but if all you're looking for is an Ra value, then it's definitely the gauge to have. Very durable and consistent on a standard.

The Mitutoyo will have more bells & whistles and will be able to read more features. The one we had even came with a small printer. But as others have indicated, they didn't last that long. We had 3 and they all ended up breaking. Never got them fixed. Could buy a new one for the same price and have what he had had.

I've got a Mitutoyo SJ-201 that I bought from a friends shop that closed. He bought it for a job and never used it again. I used it a few times figuring out how to use it, but never actually used it on a paying job. Are you interested in a very good condition used one? :)

Back