What's new
What's new

Anybody Here Buy the K&T #5 Vertical from OSU Surplus Today?

gtermini

Cast Iron
jf3OMqQl.jpg

I ran that shop before it was shut down in 2020 and may be able to tell you more about it. I was glad to see a couple bidders go after it, as it will be quite a rigging job to remove with a lot of stuff in the way, not to mention it's around 18K lbs.

Where is that image from? It's awesome!
As I See, Boris Artzybasheff, Titan Books, 2008, ISBN 9781845767679. Original copyright 1954, renewed by his estate 1982.
There's a whole chapter of anthropomorphic machine tools and foundry equipment.

That Amazon link is an excellent example of sharping. I bought a new copy in 2013 for $16.75. It's now out of print, and some bonehead is offering a used copy for three thousand dollars.

I absolutely can't stand personification of machines.
It is just a rediculous and juvenile concept in my mind.
And people who name their machines or cars and trucks.
What are you, 4 years old, living in rainbow land?
Some might say... Oh it's just so fun to do !
Fun ? ? ?
Grow up.

-Doozer

Fun ? ? ?
Grow up.

-Doozer

I don't have to grow up. I can name my machines anything I want.

I even name my coffeemaker- Chester Coffee Pot.

Being 4 and living in rainbow land sounds pretty awesome to me.

jf3OMqQl.jpg

I ran that shop before it was shut down in 2020 and may be able to tell you more about it. I was glad to see a couple bidders go after it, as it will be quite a rigging job to remove with a lot of stuff in the way, not to mention it's around 18K lbs.
Which shop was it in? While I was a grad student in the late '80's I worked in the Chemistry shop on high vacuum equipment and in the Industrial Engineering shop on Biomechanics testing equipment. Both shops were fun experiences and had good people in them.

Which shop was it in? While I was a grad student in the late '80's I worked in the Chemistry shop on high vacuum equipment and in the Industrial Engineering shop on Biomechanics testing equipment. Both shops were fun experiences and had good people in them.
This was in the shop in Merryfield (next to Civil engr fromally Appearson Hall) on the NE corner of campus along Monroe st. It may have been the Industrial engr shop before my time, but had been taken over by Electrical engr in the early 90s, then put under the College of Engineering umbrella when I took over in 2014. Did Chuck Midol or Chuck Svensen run the IND shop in your time?

I started my shop life in Chem in Gilbert basement, working for John Archiblab's successor. Did a bit of work for the late Ken Hedberg and his crazy high voltage x-ray diffraction setup. Absolutely loved it there, but had to leave to finish my ME degree elsewhere. The Physics shop on 4th floor Weniger was still intact during my time there, but had been closed down for over 10 years as of 2010. Both those depts were suffering from lack of fresh talent researchers and the big grant money that comes with them. The Chem shop has been less than halftime since 2002, but still is there.

Fun ? ? ?
Grow up.

-Doozer
aww lighten up! I don't name vehicles or other machines, I do think it silly, but if anyone else wants to, go for it!
resenting or trying to prevent others having innocent fun is a very unhealthy state of mind to get into.

This was in the shop in Merryfield (next to Civil engr fromally Appearson Hall) on the NE corner of campus along Monroe st. It may have been the Industrial engr shop before my time, but had been taken over by Electrical engr in the early 90s, then put under the College of Engineering umbrella when I took over in 2014. Did Chuck Midol or Chuck Svensen run the IND shop in your time?

I started my shop life in Chem in Gilbert basement, working for John Archiblab's successor. Did a bit of work for the late Ken Hedberg and his crazy high voltage x-ray diffraction setup. Absolutely loved it there, but had to leave to finish my ME degree elsewhere. The Physics shop on 4th floor Weniger was still intact during my time there, but had been closed down for over 10 years as of 2010. Both those depts were suffering from lack of fresh talent researchers and the big grant money that comes with them. The Chem shop has been less than halftime since 2002, but still is there.
I worked in Chemistry in '85-86 and IE in '86-7. The research shops were all manual machines. I remember making nozzles for vacuum equipment which had me machining under a microscope. My biomechanical work involved fabrication of what was basically an exoskeleton for the study of forces on a person's back while doing manual labor. It was fun and interesting work.

The IE shop was in the basement of Baker Systems. At the time there were two machine shops, a wood shop for students and a foundry. Undergrad IE students were required to take a manufacturing class where they built a drill press. The big deal in the student shop while I was there was a HMC that Cincinnati Milacron had donated which they were integrating with a CAD/CAM system that IBM had donated and a large NSF funded project on near net shape manufacturing in cooperation with Batelle.

I ended up doing my thesis in evaporative pattern casting working with Materials Science and IE/foundry faculty. It was a fun time.

"The IE shop was in the basement of Baker Systems."

GoogleFU on this tells me we're taking about different OSUs. You went to Ohio State? I spent my time at Oregon State. Same sort of shops and work though, just much more wintertime rain here.

"The IE shop was in the basement of Baker Systems."

GoogleFU on this tells me we're taking about different OSUs. You went to Ohio State? I spent my time at Oregon State. Same sort of shops and work though, just much more wintertime rain here.
You're correct. Different OSU's and different times. Working in a University shop was fun though and a lot less time pressure than a commercial shop

Back