What's new
What's new

Anybody interested in working a nuke outage? Need a new labour pool.

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I run the machine shop at Comanche Peak nuke plant in GlenRose Texas. No, you won't grow a third ear or glow in the dark. 99% shop work. May have to drill out some broken bolts. We have a plant shutdown/outage starting 4-24. This is the best place to break your nuke cherry and get in the business. Most plants won't spend the money on background checks for newbies, but we seem to specialize in it. Mostly manual but NC a plus. Crane Nuclear is our contractor. Their labour pool is getting pretty thin.
Last guy we got into the stable does a couple outages a year and runs a motorcycle shop the other 8 months.
We also have a stable of retirees that pay for cruises this way.
Send me a pm.
Have Fun
i_r_machinist

I have a good friend that just went back to work at a nuclear power plant. Not sure if it is Comanche Peak. I will ask tonight where he is. Yeah, he is about 70 also.

I run the machine shop at Comanche Peak nuke plant in GlenRose Texas. No, you won't grow a third ear or glow in the dark. 99% shop work. May have to drill out some broken bolts. We have a plant shutdown/outage starting 4-24. This is the best place to break your nuke cherry and get in the business. Most plants won't spend the money on background checks for newbies, but we seem to specialize in it. Mostly manual but NC a plus. Crane Nuclear is our contractor. Their labour pool is getting pretty thin.
Last guy we got into the stable does a couple outages a year and runs a motorcycle shop the other 8 months.
We also have a stable of retirees that pay for cruises this way.
Send me a pm.
Have Fun
i_r_machinist
What sort of money are we talking about?

I have a good friend that just went back to work at a nuclear power plant. Not sure if it is Comanche Peak. I will ask tonight where he is. Yeah, he is about 70 also.
I'm 59.675 and I'm going down hill fast. We got a young motorcycle kid out of TN. this last outage that is 30. Most of my contractors are quite a bit older.

What sort of money are we talking about?
Hey Moonlight,
I haven't been on the site as much anymore but recall the name. Crane won't tell us what they pay their hands, we pay them a flat rate per head and they try to keep as much as they can. 72 hrs a week, 1.5 over 40 hrs. Per diem. In and out money. They are in a bind.
Have fun
i_r

Maybe you can Sub out a little work to us OLD FARTS in GA!! We love running these old dinosaurs!!
I've got a 1950 King 72" vtl with a dro on it that I can split a thousandths on. One thing I've realized in my career is that it doesn't matter what side of the Mississippi, Mason Dixon, Atlantic,or equator, we are the funniest, grumpyist, bastards on earth.

Is it a family nuclear power plant? the family that glows together stays together.
I worked at LBL. and remember peoples confusion about the hot freezer we had. Right next to it was the cold freezer
Bill D

I checked with my friend's son and he is working at the other nuke plant, South Texas Nuclear, I think. So your competition is hiring also. I got about 4 calls wanting references on him. So they do a lot of background checking. When asked about reasons that he should not work at the plant I thought about saying he is a good friend and I did not want him glowing in the dark. He probably heard that a thousand times, so I did not say it.

Competition for help is good for anyone wanting work.

I checked with my friend's son and he is working at the other nuke plant, South Texas Nuclear, I think. So your competition is hiring also. I got about 4 calls wanting references on him. So they do a lot of background checking. When asked about reasons that he should not work at the plant I thought about saying he is a good friend and I did not want him glowing in the dark. He probably heard that a thousand times, so I did not say it.

Competition for help is good for anyone wanting work.
All the plants do shutdowns when the temperature is moderate and electricity consumption is down. STP, (South Texas Project), is a big draw for the fishermen.

I got my Queensland crane and EWP operators tickets renewed this week ,for 10 years......I thought I might get knocked back on age.....,,got the plastic licence card in the mail two days ago

Back