What's new
What's new

anyone able to find any literature on one of these? (22" Reed step pully lathe) it's a monster, 1908??

hello, this is the other machine I am helping my buddy get back to cutting chips( kind of a continuation of my Van Norman mill post). This old girl was left abandoned in a field so she was rescued from the scrapper and what a machine she is!! Fully running off of the phase converter no problem! I would like to find some literature on this girl, a manual would be the wholly grail in this case, I can't find anything on a 22" Reed that is this old and this long!? Thanks again :)
image000000.jpg

No "manuals" then I would imagine. Just wasn't being done industry wide then. The QC gear box suggests teens, twenties. Reed was building similar machines in 1900
Page scan from 1901 Manning, Maxwell & Moore.

Attachments

• 1901 FE REED.jpg
    1901 FE REED.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you johnodor! I'm quite the noob at machining( welding and fabrication is my area of expertise) Any recommendations about way oils/ gear oils to use on her would also be VERY appreciated! :)

Thank you johnodor! I'm quite the noob at machining( welding and fabrication is my area of expertise) Any recommendations about way oils/ gear oils to use on her would also be VERY appreciated! :)
Vactra 4 (by Mobil) is way oil for ways and slides that may be worn. Velocite 10 by them would be great for closely fitted spindle bearings. All else in a squirt can can be ISO 68 "hydraulic oil" for general lube. Dont forget "cone" pulley - it will have covered points in the flats where the belt goes. Note no mention of automotive oils. About all you can say as to their use in old machine tools is that they are better than no oil

Good GENERIC info here from late twenties, but not by Reed

Have fun

Last edited:

Back