What's new
What's new

Anyone else having issues with inserting images?

Nerv

Cast Iron
I've tried a few of my computers to see if it was on my end but I'm not having much luck with any of them.

Typically I upload from my computer, now I'm only getting maybe 5% in and it quits uploading.

Nope, no problem at all using Win-XP. Images are resized to 250k or smaller and the PM site will resize from there if needed. Don't try large images.
HalcombSteel.jpgargue.jpgDelighted.JPGPoreba Lathe .jpg
John

I've tried a few of my computers to see if it was on my end but I'm not having much luck with any of them.

Typically I upload from my computer, now I'm only getting maybe 5% in and it quits uploading.

That might be your overall link faulting. I pay for a "business grade" link. About a hundred bucks a month more expensive, and actually less that 1/4 the "alleged" data rate of residential. But it is far the more RELIABLE.

WHEN I try to upload a "too large" file to PM, it completes quickly, but with a message that it WAS too large for the file type. ISTR the max file sizes PM/VB allows are even published? But that "fail" message is easy to miss.

IF, OTOH, you are experiencing packet loss OR congestion along the way? Most browser activity will just re-try until it has your chosen web-page. So, too, email. File uploads, OTOH, inherent re-try or not, just don't keep trying as hard before calling it a bad day - and ceasing to try any further.

IF.. you can open a "CLI" AKA "command line interface" or "terminal window?

Try this:

ping -c 100 google.com

As they are "everywhere" in a cloud, response off google is about as good as it gets.

and then:

ping -c 100 practicalmachinist.com

More than just the one "physical" server, as their host provides some cloud enhancement for PM, too. Just not as MUCH of it as globally-dominant google or amazon have.

Statistics will be summarized, each go.

If no loss? Your "box" may be be struggling with malware you do not even know is active, as is eating-up the bandwidth resources.

Any family as visit here with WinWOES or Android goods? (a PowerBook, I can fix "on box"). By Day One, hour three, I already have to use "tcpdump -i" to dig their "MAC" address out of the verminous flow consuming all the bandwidth and block it in the firewall. They no longer have a link at all, so off they go to hammer the local library, MickeyD, or Starbucks once or twice a day.

No POINT in telling a WinSerf , Apple byter, Android-Penguinista they "are never alone", what with the parasite loads their virus-checkers cannot catch.

They don't believe what they cannot see even exists at all!

:(

Perpetually, to the point where I've ''locked up'' 2 computers (and had to pay to get them sorted out :( ) .trying, ..............................….so no longer even attempt to put pics in PM.

Perpetually, to the point where I've ''locked up'' 2 computers (and had to pay to get them sorted out :( ) .trying, ..............................….so no longer even attempt to put pics in PM.

PM is just not THAT hostile. Not even for outside Yew Ass border IP (block) source filtering. Very forgiving, rather.

You have sumthin' else eatin' resources at your expense. PM upload attempt prolly only unmasked it by fortuitous accident.

Near-as-dammit "guaranteed" with WinWoes. But not-only.
Apple & Android are juicy targets, too, many years now, already.

Browsers are cross-platform workers. And have become cross-platform primo TARGETS.

Surely hope you don't buy stuff online, file nor inquire anything with HM Gov, nor check bank balances and pay bills off those same boxen and uplink? Or at least not the same "family of" browsers?

I need to keep about 5 to 7 tribes of them handy. Four different ones in use, any given hour. Each is "tailored" to a narrow specific few uses.

The PM one isn't used for ANY other website at all, for example.

Ever.

1st test picture jpg at 94kb
2nd test picture jpg 72kb

Attachments

• PictureTest.jpg
    PictureTest.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
  • PictureTest2.jpg
    PictureTest2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 25
picture needs to be correct file type and size, most problems are its too big a file size or wrong file type
windows snipping tool or screen shot often will create a smaller copy of a big image thats sized to fit screen
windows 10 its called snip & sketch, program or tool i use that comes with windows

1st test picture jpg at 94kb
2nd test picture jpg 72kb

Not big on fotos, but the family is. Typical hand-held shot of a nice supper runs 3.2 to 4.7 MEGA Bytes.

Many folks are used to that, take it for granted it is nary an issue, don't stop to think a server might have to be run on a lot leaner rations because..

Not only must it STORE any given graphic.. dozens of people to the hour, hundreds to the day, and tens of thousands to the month and year will be DOWNLOADING each foto in a thread they traverse.

Viewers each have their own link.

But many of them arriving at once sucks up a great deal of the connectivity bandwidth at the SERVER end compared to bare text, "decorated" with a few box fill commands, low/no actual graphics.

Even the adverts PM has (or so I am told it has - I never see ANY) don't come off the PM server.

The viewer's browser is fed a link to the advertiser's host server, pulls it over his OWN bandwidth without it ever going near the PM server bandwidth. Or so it would if those sources were not already blackholed, routinely, PM or any other linker to them.

Fotos hosted DIRECTLY ON PM are a heavier load for it to carry, even if on a separate box.

Hence the size limits - PM or any other high-activity shared service.

Personally I use Microsoft Paint (included in all Windows versions) to resize images, I'll make them no larger than 1200x900 pixels for posting on PM

Press Start and start typing - mspaint and it should find mspaint.exe, I find the tools that Windows 10 is pushing as default options for you to use to be too complicated for me

By default PM is resizing large images to something like 500x400 pix, which often will make difficult making out details, might be that the OP uploaded images are just too large for the automatic script to handle and it times out the browser session

PM is resizing large images to something like 500x400 pix, which often will make difficult making out details,

There's scant need for PM to hold anything at all in high-res.

WHEN it is needed so an informal 2 to 5 person "helper team" can assist with sorting a specific fault, technical issue, or repair step, just about ANYONE these days can exchange far larger, higher-res files by ordinary email to sort the problem - and/or/also then post a "slice" of the specific area back to PM, zoomed.

PM's fotos are better viewed as "just enough" to convey the general idea, given MOST viewers look, move-on, don't get involved - and may not even be logged-in "members".

EX: "Robot", "tracker", and "crawler" automated scanners CONSTANTLY cruise the whole site AND those arriving to VIEW it, 24 X 7 X 365 harvesting data for full-site offshore copy (China, Russia, DPRK, and not-only) minor as well as major search engine indexing and use by the fire-direction and target selection of the advertising missiles and artillery aimed at clobbering the viewers.

On a good day? The poor server might get to deliver as much as 80% of its resources to the members, rather than the 24 X 7 parasite load all public-facing servers with any content of interest have to deal with.

There's scant need for PM to hold anything at all in high-res.

WHEN it is needed so an informal 2 to 5 person "helper team" can assist with sorting a specific fault, technical issue, or repair step, just about ANYONE these days can exchange far larger, higher-res files by ordinary email to sort the problem - and/or/also then post a "slice" of the specific area back to PM, zoomed.

PM's fotos are better viewed as "just enough" to convey the general idea, given MOST viewers look, move-on, don't get involved - and may not even be logged-in "members".

EX: "Robot", "tracker", and "crawler" automated scanners CONSTANTLY cruise the whole site AND those arriving to VIEW it, 24 X 7 X 365 harvesting data for search engine indexing and the fire-drection and target selection of the advertising missiles and artillery aimed at clobbering the viewers.

I'm not at all critical at PM handling images as it is doing now, most of the time it works out fine, just like you said, but then other times, the photographer wasn't quite on the ball, not enough light, camera focused on the wrong thing in the frame, and then you can't tell whats what on such a picture, but as I said - if one wants to work around the 500px resizing, there are ways of doing that

the script might use some error handling implemented though - telling the uploader what went wrong instead of just timing out

I'm not at all critical at PM handling images as it is doing now, most of the time it works out fine, just like you said, but then other times, the photographer wasn't quite on the ball, not enough light, camera focused on the wrong thing in the frame, and then you can't tell whats what on such a picture, but as I said - if one wants to work around the 500px resizing, there are ways of doing that

the script might use some error handling implemented though - telling the uploader what went wrong instead of just timing out

It DOES tell yah what went wrong. But only if it has the information to convey bck to you.

Oversize it does have. Tells yah so. IF one is even payimg attention, AND does not have "popups" blocked, BTW.

Bad link, abandoned by OTHER players? PM's demon is blind.

Try this:

loki2# traceroute practicalmachinist.com
traceroute: Warning: practicalmachinist.com has multiple addresses; using 172.67.163.168
traceroute to practicalmachinist.com (172.67.163.168), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets

<redacting> the first three hops under my OWN ROOF:

4 24.124.151.185 (24.124.151.185) 19.736 ms 18.934 ms 12.562 ms
5 162.151.58.225 (162.151.58.225) 19.168 ms 29.635 ms 30.879 ms
6 69.252.19.10 (69.252.19.10) 29.421 ms 29.832 ms 30.035 ms

7 172.67.163.168 (172.67.163.168) 30.42 ms 24.286 ms 30.083 ms
loki2#

Three hops, then at PM's server on the fourth, outside world.

Not as if there was a "direct" "non-stop" airplane ride, is it?

And I sit on a fair decent, moreover "east coast", backbone, not all that many hops from where the server cloud sits.

Look at the delay introduced by the many-step handling of the SEVERAL routers traversed at each exchange point. "Speed of light" in fiber or Copper? Not really.

Even so, that is not what slows-down your page load nor your UPloads.

If not blocked, the browser may ALSO be trying the whole while to ALSO load and refresh remote page content from a DOZEN other sites spanning social-disease network icons to special fonts, and - of course - advertising - some of which even carries full-motion video.

Lot of s**t going on under the covers, out there in kinky-f**kery internet packet-land.

Far more, yet in what passes for the pretence of "brains" in a web browser's bloated eye-candy "mind".

:D

Yet on Windows 10 I can select a picture, right click and select copy left click ,and then paste it in to a G mail message - just as if it was text, .........….I suppose being machinists we mustn't make it to easy :rolleyes5:

Yet on Windows 10 I can select a picture, right click and select copy left click ,and then paste it in to a G mail message - just as if it was text, .........….I suppose being machinists we mustn't make it to easy :rolleyes5:

"Under the covers" some of it is more "easy" than you might think.

Arguments abound over whether Apple - or Xerox, "PARC" Palo Alto Research Center "invented" the mouse as a form of cursor positioning control.

Ignoring.. because it was classified "SECRET" for ages.. that the massive, but kinda dumb, "Air battle" computer, AN/FSQ-7 SAGE, had that feature for long years already, moreover on a VECTOR, not raster, graphics display. Big-ass "palm ball" about the diameter as is used for nine-pin bowls. Might have been where they GOT the balls, too, "Cold War' not having budgets all that fat!

:)

Raster ain't even as hard. Modern mice and such work much the same way as the AN/GSA-51 that replaced vacuum-tube SAGE with transistors, not yet even "IC's"

A "light pen" had a dumb photocell up in the dark inside a black velvet-flocked stainless steel tube about the size of a turkey baster, cord off the end of it.

Put the tip of it over the object on the screen, push to activate.

WHEN the light-beam passed that was lighting up the screen?
Photocell said "NOW" to the same timer that was moving the beam.
Other circuits then knew where the tip had been, shifted my control to weapons direction onto that target.

Weapons? Gabreski's One-oh-Wonders and Dover's One-oh-sixes with one-point two KILOTON USAF AIM-1 Genie. if not fast enough on the draw? A TWENTY Kiloton W31 NIKE-HERC (improved) warshot would kill it within mere seconds of basically "detonating" off the launch rail on a mach-five suicide run.

I still look at my cheap stainless steel turkey baster ever' now and then and grin about "1950's technology".

Backed up by Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance of over 3,000 Whisky Three One warshots accurate to a 12 foot CPE 90 miles out.

Vacuum tubes. Bowling balls. Turkey basters. Determination.

Didn't take Rooshians long to twig to not needing a bunch of Hiroshimas to wax a bomber. BFBI approach to f**k up ICBM's still just at the top of the atmosphere with "Neutron flux", rather.

So they never came...

Thank God and old technology rode HARD.

:D

A ton of cruft has crept into the roads in between your hand an eye and what happens next since it was done directly in "hardware".

But it isn't really any more complicated at the core of it than servos providing muscle for traverse off remotely fed commands instead of sweaty hands run off the sweaty human brain.

End of the day, no work, no eat , either way. Whatever don't work as well is put out of work.

Except Windows. Of course.

That gets a free pass off being intentionally engineered so Governments can spy on each other more cheaply and easily. Useless for that if it were actually POSSIBLE to protect it against remote compromise, yah?

Problem being, the US & UK governments are not the smartest ones doin' that!
The STOOPIDEST ones, rather!

OTHER governments, organized crime, and the DISorganized crime of bored kids and hungry unemployed all over the cheapseats of the Earth took the lead!

"As usual", an empty belly and a raggedy ass was the more powerul motivator than a soft chair and a Government salary....

Gates got richer. His victims got poorer. Governments ain't a damned bit wiser than before, either. Don't need a lot of penetrated 'puters to figure the Mullahs want yah dead. They announce it on the radio, every day of their week.

You?

Just one more bystander as has been sorta "sideswiped" in sumbudy else's game.
Your role is only to help FUND keeping the game in play.

"Patriotic" that. Or is it, really?

:(

Lucky maybe - never any issues

Scans or photos or screen shots - or suitably Paint Shop Pro edited to suit "phone" photos

Here is a small content but good sized image scan.

ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg

(I think Bill in the next post is saying its big and looks good due to the "picture" technology of the day - 105 years ago)

Back