What's new
What's new

Anyone ever watch these "machinists"?

I see little reason to criticize these people and their work. Its most likely all there is where they are. And I kinda wonder if all the smart people talking about them could fix shit like this any better with the very basic tools shown.

I will say that I would have turned the shaft around and hit the other end on the concrete.:D

The videos are "made for TV" too...........in the background of some of the weld up videos are lots of modern (ish) machine tools working.........the one where a broken crank is welded ,is actually a crankshaft factory ,with piles of cranks in various stages of manufacture.

I see little reason to criticize these people and their work. Its most likely all there is where they are. And I kinda wonder if all the smart people talking about them could fix shit like this any better with the very basic tools shown.

I will say that I would have turned the shaft around and hit the other end on the concrete.:D
They are hacks. Deal with it.

The Best ones are the forging videos where PPE consist of a wet rug in front of the furnace .
Also the casting of any kind of metal, sandals in the foundry WOW.
also you see a decent looking lathe and all of a sudden the are welding on it, I love the ground connections
whatever is laying on the ground gets electrified !!!
Every chuck and tool post gets tightened with a 3 foot bar !!!
The jigs obviously work but I don't know how, welded to the weld on top of weld
The best one is they are making Sleeves for diesel engines and measuring with a caliper how do they even work ?
biggest problem is a lot of the Product end up Here !!!
i bought a Ingersoll Rand compressor and was sick when i received it and there was a sticker on it "Made in India"

If one was out on a battleground and wanted to get his tank running by gosh and golly one of
these guys would get it moving.
likely these are the discarded trucks from wealthy companies and are now in the hands of owners who don't make a new tire amount income in a month so don't have new parts or proper repair shop money. Glue a boot in a tire and put it back on the road for two weeks or more.
IMHO.

Last edited:
The Best ones are the forging videos where PPE consist of a wet rug in front of the furnace .
Also the casting of any kind of metal, sandals in the foundry WOW.
also you see a decent looking lathe and all of a sudden the are welding on it, I love the ground connections
whatever is laying on the ground gets electrified !!!
Every chuck and tool post gets tightened with a 3 foot bar !!!
The jigs obviously work but I don't know how, welded to the weld on top of weld
The best one is they are making Sleeves for diesel engines and measuring with a caliper how do they even work ?
biggest problem is a lot of the Product end up Here !!!
i bought a Ingersoll Rand compressor and was sick when i received it and there was a sticker on it "Made in India"

It's actually not that hard to hold sizes within a bit better than a couple thousandths of an inch if you transfer the caliper feel to a micrometer.

When I see these videos, from my perspective as someone who hates having to re-do something because it wasn't done right it just seems like a giant waste of time to me. While I can see the perspective somewhat of low cost repairs, they aren't that low in cost if they need to be done again and again and again vs. done one time the right way that lasts way longer. I don't think the repair cost is the issue, probably it's more the outlay for the equipment required to do things in a more proper way for longevity. That would drive the cost of repairs up a little bit, but the initial outlay is probably the big problem.

There was a video of rolling ship plate into reinforcing bar......the bar is coming off the rolling mill red hot ,and men with bare feet and legs are guiding the rod into coils with wooden bats as it comes off the rolls at high speed.......The local steel foundry to here moved operation to China,and the CEO stated in the "closing ceremony" open day that there would be no bare feet allowed in the new China factory...........kinda strange to have a big shindig the day a factory closes ,but there you have it.........by the way it was Bradford Kendall ......the Bradken Inc that was in some hot water with the US Navy.a while back.

It's actually not that hard to hold sizes within a bit better than a couple thousandths of an inch if you transfer the caliper feel to a micrometer.

When I see these videos, from my perspective as someone who hates having to re-do something because it wasn't done right it just seems like a giant waste of time to me. While I can see the perspective somewhat of low cost repairs, they aren't that low in cost if they need to be done again and again and again vs. done one time the right way that lasts way longer. I don't think the repair cost is the issue, probably it's more the outlay for the equipment required to do things in a more proper way for longevity. That would drive the cost of repairs up a little bit, but the initial outlay is probably the big problem.
You reminded me of this:

Years ago, I got to "help" a friend run his combine harvester through a field of hay. I'd never seen the process before, and it was fascinating. And the brand new harrow bed was even more fascinating. But to the point:

The harvester had a paddle wheel on the front that rotated and fed hay into a cutter that slid just above the ground. At least the paddle wheel was supposed to rotate. If something -- a rock, a stick, a small animal -- jammed it, a shear pin would break and disconnect the wheel from its drive mechanism, preventing damage.

To work properly, the shear pin had to be strong enough to carry the normal load, but weak enough to break if the load increased too much. That's a tough design challenge, and shear pins are manufactured for a specific application.

Max had a spare shear pin on the combine and quickly replaced the broken one with it, but it wasn't quite the right one, so it broke a half hour later.

We shut down, and drove back to the shop. The box of shear pins was empty! To get another box, we'd have to drive the five miles into town, get the pins, and drive back. That would take too long, Max said, so he grabbed a roll of bailing wire and we headed back to the field.

Max jammed as many two inch long pieces of bailing wire as he could into the shear pin hole and hopped back into the machine.

Five minutes later, when the too-soft make-shift "shear pin" broke, he jammed in another bundle of bailing wire.

Five minutes later, it broke again. He fixed it again.

Five minutes later, he fixed it again. Am I starting to repeat myself?

Because we didn't have the right shear pins, we spent hours in the field getting a half hour's work done.

I learned an important lesson from this experience. I call it the Farmer Syndrome:

There's isn't enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it wrong -- again, and again, and again.

:D

I still don't know why they don't put some sort of spring type overload clutch on those things... It's not like they don't all have onboard hydraulic pumps - they could even just add a relief valve circuit with variable pressure on a drive clutch.

:D

I still don't know why they don't put some sort of spring type overload clutch on those things... It's not like they don't all have onboard hydraulic pumps - they could even just add a relief valve circuit with variable pressure on a drive clutch.
If your Leg, Dog, or Kid, was caught in them.....

I think you would like the pain to quit quickly.

Then rapidly freewheel, whatever was caught, free.

Clutch or relief valve. does not care what hurts, time is money.......

If your Leg, Dog, or Kid, was caught in them.....

I think you would like the pain to quit quickly.

Then rapidly freewheel, whatever was caught, free.

Clutch or relief valve. does not care what hurts, time is money.......

That could easily be done with a hydraulic setup also. A simple hall effect sensor or limit switch to detect any rotation between the shaft and the implement in contact with the soil with a dropout switch to cut hydraulic pressure to the clutch (and a fully manual reset button) would do the exact same thing. Without the hours of downtime and possible mechanical damage.

That right there is the definition of a hack job.

They have nicer looking lathes than the ones seen in the other videos for sure, question is are they a machine shop or a basic mechanical repair shop that has a lot of metal working machines? There must be actual production shops there that resemble something like we're all used to.

I worked with a fellow who worked on a Navy repair ship during the war. They went to Japan right after WW2 and were to set up tow of another Navy ship that had broke off one blade of its propeller. The Jap guys claimed that they could make and cast on a replacement blade and they did.

Last edited:
Squating down legs spread wide open using a 4"grinder without a guard..... I'm thinikng this problem will solve itself! I understand the limited resourses but WTF at least build a work bench. I posted in a earlier post that these places are where machine tools do forced labor till they die a miserable death. Also, I've never seen so many people use a chisel and hammer to tighten a drill chuck. I recall one video where someone put a truck differential in a lathe and had her spinning WAY out of balance, machine had about 2' between the operator side and a cement wall, nothing bad could happen there.

This is a riff on the "it's all they have". My brother's FIL is a physician (Vietnam vet as a doc, bronze star, very quiet but an awesome dude). After the service he became an opthalmologist. He'd do medical missionary work to China and would marvel at the suturing skills of the Chinese docs. Apparently their stitching approached fine art, in his eyes. But at that time they had almost no equipment, even stuff that a N. American Hospital would consider basic. Availability of tools and materials affects how your skill set develops.

Back