What's new
What's new

Anyone have a 10ee stop rod for sale?

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
I need a carriage stop rod for a 1947 10ee on which I am working. Square Dial. Anyone have one they want to sell?
Thanks
Rich
Send me a PM.

I need a carriage stop rod for a 1947 10ee on which I am working. Square Dial. Anyone have one they want to sell?
Thanks
Rich
Send me a PM.

If you can find one for a larger Monarch it would probably work; i.e. the only difference is the length, diameter of the handle and bar and the knurling are the same.

Hard to tell, it might be reasonable $, and then again maybe not. That said if we had a DWG, and a stick of O-1, the rest is EZ.

The design is very simple: the shaft is ¾", knurled 4" at the end. The knob is 1.237" dia. and 1.25" long. The inside corner of the knob has a .125" bevel, the outside corner has a 3/16" bevel, the knurled end has a 1/16" bevel. The knob is a press fit. On the 1940 KOBar, the knurling is a diamond pattern, .070" pitch. On the 1950's bar the knurling is a straight pattern with a .040" pitch. OAL is 26 5/16". The knurling does not have sharp corners, i.e. it is turned down to .755" after knurling.

One more detail on the construction of the knock out bar: the diameter of the shaft where the knob is pressed on is .625". If that is not clear, here is a photo:

IMG_1297.jpg

Again a pretty simple part, we just need a "print". And that said the folks at Monarch are pretty unpredictable on pricing. I needed a set of stoppers for a 10ee turret.

The set up fee to make (none on the shelf) was several thousand $ and the lot price something like $750 each. More common parts quite reasonable.

Again a pretty simple part, we just need a "print". And that said the folks at Monarch are pretty unpredictable on pricing.

Less simple than you might initially think. I notices once that the 1/2" notches were ground and so I set it up for checking. They were as close to .5000 as I could easily measure.

I needed a set of stoppers for a 10ee turret.

The set up fee to make (none on the shelf) was several thousand $ and the lot price something like $750 each. More common parts quite reasonable.

The adjustable stops like this?:

10ee_turret_stop2.jpg

It might be that the spec is to make it from cast iron and they don't have a foundry easily accessible anymore. But I'm often surprised by the 'one-off' pricing from them.

rke[pler

Yeah those "stoppers" I back engineered one Al then ordered up some durabar to make the rest. Have yet to make the cutter for the dovetail, but it's on the too-doo list

rke[pler

Yeah those "stoppers" I back engineered one Al then ordered up some durabar to make the rest. Have yet to make the cutter for the dovetail, but it's on the too-doo list

Check with AB Tools, they have decent dovetail cutters and can hook you up with one in the right angle, likely from stock.

It's been awhile since I looked at the drawings, as I recall is was 65 degrees, thanks for the heads up.... I should re-visit that sooner rather than later.

AB Tools is about 20 min from the house!

It's been awhile since I looked at the drawings, as I recall is was 65 degrees, thanks for the heads up.... I should re-visit that sooner rather than later.

AB Tools is about 20 min from the house!

I get 60 degrees looking at mine. The bottom is about 5/8" wide so you could probably get a standard HSS cutter in there, but I have to say that I do like the AB Tool cutters.

Back