What's new
What's new

Anyone know what's going on with MSC?

Rudd

Stainless
I have used them for years, they are 1 days shipping away over in Atlanta, and I get a discount that makes their prices about the same as anywhere else.
I used to put in an order for several things, they'd all come from Atl. in 1 box the next day.
Now, it seems like what they have locally isn't much. I ordered a tap, some compression fittings, a taper pin reamer, and some taper pins.
Tap came in one 8" box almost a week later.
Reamer (showed instock in Atl) took about 5 days, in its own box.
Taper pins still have not arrived, they are being shipped out of Salt Lake City.
Compression fittings were drop shipped by manuf.
I get free shipping too, so (3) 8" boxes from all over the country, plus the drop ship, this cannot be a good way to make money.

I guess I will join Team McMaster Carr.

I have used them for years, they are 1 days shipping away over in Atlanta, and I get a discount that makes their prices about the same as anywhere else.
I used to put in an order for several things, they'd all come from Atl. in 1 box the next day.
Now, it seems like what they have locally isn't much. I ordered a tap, some compression fittings, a taper pin reamer, and some taper pins.
Taper pins still have not arrived, they are being shipped out of Salt Lake City.
I get free shipping too, so (3) 8" boxes from all over the country, plus the drop ship, this cannot be a good way to make money.

It sounds like you are using the "Freight Saver" option for shipping. I pay 12.79 and get anything next day. If its not local it gets a free upgrade to overnight shipping if I spend around $75 or more.

I get taps in large boxes all the time. It helps make sure they dont get lost in transit. Its more expensive to replace items than it is to ship them in bigger boxes.

It sounds like you are using the "Freight Saver" option for shipping. I pay 12.79 and get anything next day. If its not local it gets a free upgrade to overnight shipping if I spend around $75 or more.

I get taps in large boxes all the time. It helps make sure they dont get lost in transit. Its more expensive to replace items than it is to ship them in bigger boxes.

Freight saver

what a bunch of crap

I actually called them on the phone and asked how to make this option go away

I never want freight saver, ever

nope have to do it for every order

stupid

If I want to save 10 bucks on a 500 dollar order and wait some random amount of time for my stuff I will do it after I get the lobotomy

Depending where you are at, McMaster will deliver same day if ordered before 10am.

im firmly on team ME! I order from all the usual suspects, but I do keep in mind they are lookin out for THIER bottom line, not mine.

I haven't noticed a big difference at MSC lately, except more items drop shipped from the manufacturer. keep an eye out for the stock status on the item you are looking at, and depending on when you need it order accordingly.

personally, I don't like to order a number of small items shipping from all over, regardless of what it costs me. I just can't abide the inefficiency and waste that entails if it doesn't really affect me.

cheers and happy ordering.

In Jacksonville just about every thing from MMC comes next day from Atlanta weather I order next day or not. We order a lot from MSC but I don't keep track just order from MMC or local Grainger if I need it quick.

In Jacksonville just about every thing from MMC comes next day from Atlanta weather I order next day or not. We order a lot from MSC but I don't keep track just order from MMC or local Grainger if I need it quick.

McMaster is probably the most consistent and reliable company I've ever dealt with. I don't know how the hell they do it...they just have everything.

Even at their high prices I don't know how they make money. I ordered 30 Coilhose mini connectors, priced at $19.00 and they discounted them to $14.00 which was fine with me. 19 were sent from Reno, 10 from Atlanta and 1 from New Jersey. All were sent in a 8" square box from each of those locations with free shipping.

How they do it? It is simple. They have so much volume that they tell the freight companies what they are willing to pay and the freight companies bid DOWN from that point.

You and I pay the published shipping rates. At my last job I got a break because they had a deal and their employees could use the company rate. But I am sure it is not as big a discount as McMaster gets.

Don't believe me, just visit McMaster's shipping offices if they will let you.

Even at their high prices I don't know how they make money. I ordered 30 Coilhose mini connectors, priced at $19.00 and they discounted them to $14.00 which was fine with me. 19 were sent from Reno, 10 from Atlanta and 1 from New Jersey. All were sent in a 8" square box from each of those locations with free shipping.

MSC is pretty reliable 2 days here except stuff that is shipped from the manufacturer.

They are getting on my shit list, though. I put a "Verboten" sign on the CAP machine and told my guys to keep their little booger pickers out of the drawers. Now, the local sales rep keeps ringing my phone and wanting to stop by. Nothing puts me on edge faster than getting ambushed by salesmen pounding on the door. If I need something, I'll buy it. If I don't, I won't.

How do you get free shipping from McMaster-Carr?

I bet they get free McMaster-Carr catalogs, too!

He had to be talking about MSC. McMaster doesn't discount anything, and they
don't do sales, and they don't do free shipping.. Which I'm OK with, I don't feel
the need to play "blue light special" constantly when I need stuff to make money.

I appreciate an occasional sale. 5 or 10% at X-mas.. But UP TO35% off for 2 days every 3
weeks.. That's BS.. Just give me a fair price every day. I don't mind waiting to buy a new TV until
just before the super bowl, or waiting for black Friday to buy an Insta-Pot. But when I need a tool,
I need it now.. Its not a game, its not a luxury, its a F'n business. And MSC thinks they are K-mart.

Yeah, I know. I don't buy a lot from them as most of you guys do but I do. They are convenient since I live in a area that doesn't have much to offer for machine shops or even small shops like mine. Still stumped over my last order from them. Ordered 11 gage pins of various sizes, all but one shipped from the same location. The one shipped from a different location, got charged two shipping charges from that! And I wasn't in no hurry to receive them. Maybe next time I'll call in my order and ask for shipping all together. Yeah, right. Ken

It's funny I swore off MSC years ago, hard to search website and posted prices were always way too high unless you qualified for a discount. On a recent order however I was pleasantly surprised when MSC was 30% less than McMaster and figured maybe they were getting more competitive?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I also detest businesses that are constantly putting stuff 'on sale' or have continual coupons.

I've heard that Sears and JC Penney are case studies in some colleges on how to NOT run a business....they essentially trained customers never to spend money with them until the item was on sale / deep discount.

As for shipping...it really pisses me that I can hardly afford to ship anything anymore...a small 7lbs. box with UPS Ground is $23. But meanwhile, Amazon can ship an 8' bed mat that weighs 52lbs to me for $3.99.

Try a discount shipping site. I use Pirate Ship, but there are others. Way easier to ship with than the big 3, too. Typically about 25% off, and they'll automatically look for the best rate/package classification.

Here, UPS is by far the most expensive and least accessible of the 3.

Back