What's new
What's new

Anyone made CA 5C collet holder?

Cannonmn

Stainless
I want a CA size 5c collet holder for my lathe’s QC toolpost, so I can power-feed drills, reamers, etc. into the chucked work. MSC wants $230. Plus shipping for an Aloris, no-go for me. I’d be happy with cheap import since I’d only use this a few times a year. But I can’t find any CA-5c for under $218. Anybody know of a source? Alternatively I’d make one, maybe try boring/reaming up a $40. CA-MT3 holder, or bolting a square 5c collet block to some inexpensive CA holder. Someone here has made one already I’m sure, how did u do it?

KDK made a no. 119 5C collet holder and there are often used ones on eBay. There are always new Chinese copies on eBay, and even just the nut and wrench is available if you make your own holder.
KDK-119 TYPE 5C COLLET BAR HOLDER (3900-5419) | eBay
HHIP 3900-5420 Ring Nut & Wrench for Kdk-119 5C Collet Bar Holder | eBay

I do not have a CA QCTP, so I do not know what it would take to modify the 119 holder to fit.

Or you could use a cheap 3MT ER32 or 40 collet chuck in that cheap CA MT3 holder.

Larry

There are the Jacob's chuck CA holders too. You could always just put a MT Jacob's chuck in your MT holder. Is there some reason you need it to be a 5C collet?

According to the Aloris catalog the height of the CA-1 toolholder is 2-1/2".
I found a square 5C collet holder on Amazon that was 1-3/4" square.
So it seems to me you could open up the slot for the tool from 1" to 1-3/4", leaving 3/8" of material above and below the collect holder.
This should be fine, unless you're doing really heavy work.
You could even drill and tap the 5-C collet block to accept some bolts running horizontal through the toolholder for additional support.
Bob

According to the Aloris catalog the height of the CA-1 toolholder is 2-1/2".
I found a square 5C collet holder on Amazon that was 1-3/4" square.
So it seems to me you could open up the slot for the tool from 1" to 1-3/4", leaving 3/8" of material above and below the collect holder.
This should be fine, unless you're doing really heavy work.
You could even drill and tap the 5-C collet block to accept some bolts running horizontal through the toolholder for additional support.
Bob

Thx, think I’m going to try powerfeed drilling using a Jacobs chuck on an mt3 arbor fit into the mt3-to-CA holder. Then I’ll see if I need more and maybe equip with mt3-er32 adapter and er32 collets. I’ll save the 5c’s for use in collet blocks.

After 10 years, I can't tell you where I got my CA-sized 5C block, but the answer is "yes, someone does," because I was too cheap to pay Aloris' price. I use mine for both drills and smaller boring bars and find it quite handy. Tailstock is still where I put most drills, because I don't have to worry about aligning the QCTP rotation and cross-slide position to the centerline.

Canyon,
I agree with eKretz; drop the collet idea. I have 6 ---cxa MT 3 tool holders set up with 1/2" or 3/4" Jacobs chucks. Routinely run those on projects when possible. Lodge and shipley tailstocks only gets moved as a last resort

I want a CA size 5c collet holder for my lathe’s QC toolpost, so I can power-feed drills, reamers, etc. into the chucked work. MSC wants $230. Plus shipping for an Aloris, no-go for me. I’d be happy with cheap import since I’d only use this a few times a year. But I can’t find any CA-5c for under $218. Anybody know of a source? Alternatively I’d make one, maybe try boring/reaming up a $40. CA-MT3 holder, or bolting a square 5c collet block to some inexpensive CA holder. Someone here has made one already I’m sure, how did u do it?

If you provide an email address, I can send you a photo of a Collet Chuck I made that fastens to the spindle nose. The Chuck tightens with a spanner wrench. There are only three main parts to the Chuck. A 1/4" dowel ground to fit the key in the collet keyway and (6) socket button head screws to fasten the retaining ring at the back end.

Roger 2/28/2022

there were some off shore one but I think that has dried up found this on ebay little cheaper but not much but free shipping Ken ALORIS CA 5C COLLET HOLDER CNC LATHE QUICK CHANGE USA 650229392853 | eBay

Some local buddies caused me to use a Jacobs chuck on mt3 arbor in my new CA-mT3 holder, then get some ER32 stuff.

Found a big cookie jar with dozens of well-broken-in ER32 collets, and ordered a cheap MT3-ER32 collet chuck. The MT3 adapter, made in China, showed high-quality machining, finish, coating etc, so I’m hoping the collet chuck is as good.

John Morris has shared 3 photos with you! | Flickr

Last edited:

Back