What's new
What's new

Anyone using heated (electric) sox/gloves/footpads?

thermite

Diamond
Sorels and mittens here, both with removable wool liners, but mebbe Sorels ain't so good for sliding around with them boards on yez feet.

LOL!

Mate of mine in Collitch was the PE prof. Also a good ski instructor.

I never had the least problem. I mean.. I could water-ski, how hard could it be if you had no risk of drowning?

The robot-boots and boards went onto my feet.

My ass went onto the snow.

Pretty much permanently.

Well?

I was one sore CONSISTENT sunnovabich!

Like I said, How hard cold it be?

:)

CalG

Diamond
LOL!

Mate of mine in Collitch was the PE prof. Also a good ski instructor.

Like I said, How hard cold it be?

:)

Downhill snow skiing is as close as one can get to flying without leaving the ground.

(Motorbikes are a close second....

thermite

Diamond
Downhill snow skiing is as close as one can get to flying without leaving the ground.

(Motorbikes are a close second....

2-wheelers, yes, flying, not really.

Other than open-cockpit, or when flying the Grumman Tiger with the canopy slid back, SANE flying has minimal sensation of speed.

FWIW-not-much? AFAIK, electrically heated mitts, gloves, garments, and goggles all originated in the era of early high altitude aircraft.

All else being equal, AKA "not always", temps drop 3 degrees Celcius per 1,000 feet of altitude added.

Had no idea how much fun this Q would create! :)

It was warm all day on the slopes today so my toes and fingers were fine.
Per some notes, with Raynauds, i have always worn mittens in preference to gloves for any activity it is practical.

Some random answers to some random posts:

Batteries and the rechargers are an expensive & and apparently more or less rapidly consumable component of most systems. PC tools, a couple chargers, and lots of various size batteries are already here. Don't need a second/ different system if these are adaptable.

IOW, paid for by work, these are free, and free into the future AFA skiing use. They have way more capacity than the expensive dedicated systems, at some compromise in convenience of location.

Love the helicopter skiing, but it is way outside anything i want to afford.
Never expected to retire, so i did not dedicate a lot of effort to the financial aspects of doing so.
I continue to manage to fly, and to ski, so long as health holds. But probably won't combine the 2.
Besides that, as a returning skier after some 15 yrs lapse, a lot of the experience would be wasted on my remaining skills. I do have fun & am enjoying how rapidly some of it is coming back.

Richard - I'm slow, and getting slower with age - but the SWAT team comment is opaque to me?

Winter is so short here anymore it might be over before i get around to any experiments.
The last conceptual part of the puzzle for me, though, is: How is heat controlled in such garments? Is there a thermocouple and controller? Or is it a simple amp restriction/variable resister?
I'm assuming a Thermic or SIDA (or not-yet-identified analog) insert element for boot sole; the battery connector and buck "transformer", then for heat control?????

smt

CalG

Diamond
Had no idea how much fun this Q would create! :)

Batteries and the rechargers are an expensive & and apparently more or less rapidly consumable component of most systems. PC tools, a couple chargers, and lots of various size batteries are already here. Don't need a second/ different system if these are adaptable.

Winter is so short here anymore it might be over before i get around to any experiments.
The last conceptual part of the puzzle for me, though, is: How is heat controlled in such garments? Is there a thermocouple and controller? Or is it a simple amp restriction/variable resister?
I'm assuming a Thermic or SIDA (or not-yet-identified analog) insert element for boot sole; the battery connector and buck "transformer", then for heat control?????

smt

Good ON ya for getting back to it!

"The Better YOU get, The Better IT gets!"

"You should have been here Yesterday" Soft bumps and blastable crud, My Favorite.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am under the impression that the SIDAS units use TIME as the heat control mechanism.
Low is perhaps 30% duty cycle, Medium may be 70%, with High just switched ON. All at battery output voltage.
I could be wrong.
Would a simple circuit around a 555 timer and a capacitor accomplish this?

I'm no EE ;-)

SIDAS heaters for the feet
HEATING ELEMENT/TOPCOVER – Sidas USA

Special plugs molded to the ribbon cable. Some adapter would be needed to make the jump to USB

Inspecting a set of the above referenced heater elements, Only Two wires in the five pin plug are populated
13 Ohm resistance end to end through the heating elements.

E= I^2 R

5= I^ X 13

.6 amps?

3 watts? (Check my math)

Enough to burn? IDK

ETA

A quick probe of a SIDAS battery pack with the DVM.

SIDAS Nuvo Battery packs output at 3.3 V

Heat output is controlled by TIME as I had gathered. Three levels,

I did not put the output on the scope, but the low and medium settings show rather rapid changes in voltage between a few mV and 3.3 V. On/Off time ratio, I could not discern by eye.
High setting is continuous power at 3.3V.

So A 5.5 V battery stack would be TOO MUCH unless modulated. On High setting, the SIDAS foot bed heaters are WARM! Too Warm for me.

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
"when i was your age...you son of a bitch...i worked for a living..i carried ice up ten flights of stairs
for a nickel" " we swam in the east river, in raw sewage ...turds , used rubbers and bloody tampons were
our swimming companions...." that's how we built immunity...

camscan

Titanium
"when i was your age...you son of a bitch...i worked for a living..i carried ice up ten flights of stairs
for a nickel" " we swam in the east river, in raw sewage ...turds , used rubbers and bloody tampons were
our swimming companions...." that's how we built immunity...

I hope that you won't be offended if I don't join you.

CalG

Diamond
Just an update on power usage.

I put the battery pack on the o-scope to evaluate the timing of the controlled output.
Three settings Low, med,High, and an off.

Low is on 25% of time
Med is on 33% of time
High is on 50% of time.

For anyone wanting to DIY a batter set to power foot heaters, That would be a starting point. Again 3.3 V

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am under the impression that the SIDAS units use TIME as the heat control mechanism.
Low is perhaps 30% duty cycle, Medium may be 70%, with High just switched ON. All at battery output voltage.
I could be wrong.
Would a simple circuit around a 555 timer and a capacitor accomplish this?

I'm no EE ;-)

SIDAS heaters for the feet
HEATING ELEMENT/TOPCOVER – Sidas USA

Special plugs molded to the ribbon cable. Some adapter would be needed to make the jump to USB

Inspecting a set of the above referenced heater elements, Only Two wires in the five pin plug are populated
13 Ohm resistance end to end through the heating elements.

E= I^2 R

5= I^ X 13

.6 amps?

3 watts? (Check my math)

Enough to burn? IDK

ETA

A quick probe of a SIDAS battery pack with the DVM.

SIDAS Nuvo Battery packs output at 3.3 V

Heat output is controlled by TIME as I had gathered. Three levels,

I did not put the output on the scope, but the low and medium settings show rather rapid changes in voltage between a few mV and 3.3 V. On/Off time ratio, I could not discern by eye.
High setting is continuous power at 3.3V.

So A 5.5 V battery stack would be TOO MUCH unless modulated. On High setting, the SIDAS foot bed heaters are WARM! Too Warm for me.