What's new
What's new

Anyone willing to explain steps to government work? Need to expand buyer list

Had a convo with local PTAC. Well not much of a convo as I can't even talk to a 'counselor' until I apply and then they approve or decline.... I asked about discussing if declined so it can be rectified or if we can apply again. No answers. Typical government stuff..... I am trying to understand what the requirements would be? Yrs in biz? Certain work you do? Do they even care? Surely they are not going to send DOD parts to just anything that fills out the paperwork? Or maybe 'not' being experienced in government work is an advantage? Trying to help newer suppliers? trying to understand this.

Well, I'd say that's exactly right. There are no requirements that I'm aware of as to how long you've been In business. If you can get registered successfully. You are eligible to quote the work. It's on you to meet the contract requirements. Not on the DOD or whatever entity. That is solely your problem. So you should look at the contracts and Drawings very carefully. If you can't meet the requirements you shouldn't be quoting It. And you will never sell it. If you can successfully deliver and meet the contract requirements they don't give two craps how long you've been In business.

I'm no pro. But I managed to get myself registered and JCP certed on my own with no help from the PTAC or anyone else. I have bid and won contracts and successfully delivered them. It was allot of work. Frankly more than It was worth $$ wise. But I chalked that up to learning the system and how to do it successfully from start to finish. I started with small jobs purposely so I didn't get myself to deep In the beginning. Yeah, I wasn't huntin 6 figure contracts right off the bat. That's a good way to loose your Butt in my opinion.

And once you get signed up the DOD or whatever other entity doesn't just come knockin on your door with a cart load of drawings to quote. That is also on you to hunt those down. You can hire a service to do it for you or become a member of one of the sites that will narrow down the results for you. I looked at those and thought about It, but haven't joined one yet.

I PM'd you a link that might help you out. Hope It does and good luck.

Had a convo with local PTAC. Well not much of a convo as I can't even talk to a 'counselor' until I apply and then they approve or decline.... I asked about discussing if declined so it can be rectified or if we can apply again. No answers. Typical government stuff..... I am trying to understand what the requirements would be? Yrs in biz? Certain work you do? Do they even care? Surely they are not going to send DOD parts to just anything that fills out the paperwork? Or maybe 'not' being experienced in government work is an advantage? Trying to help newer suppliers? trying to understand this.

Just apply, it's their way of putting you in their computer system.

I can explain the steps, go as fast as you can the other way........

If the Big Gov is anything like the State of VA , wouldn't touch it.
Been there, done that, told them to come get their stuff.

Reams of paperwork, no markup on supplies or parts, work for straight labor and retain your records forever. Then, finally establish a price and they come back to negotiate a better price. Yep,its actually in the bid, if they don't like it and even if you are the low bidder they can still bash you for price.

I just can't figure out why companies would work with those conditions when full retail work is out there just waiting??

If you have a knack for design then make your own products, way less paperwork. Job shopping for the Feds is dicey.

Along with the packaging there always seems to be some archaic coating spec'd, that everyone stopped using before the Korean War, and just reading the chemicals out loud will caused cancer to begin growing....

It’s work but it can certainly be worthwhile if you get a good handle on the process.

What type of work do you want to do?

There is quite a bit of compliance work that is simply table stakes.

We are 60% prime to the DOD and 39% as a sub to primes and 3PL types that feed into the DOD and maybe 1% aerospace (SpaceX etc).

Make your wife a co owner. Ladies and minorities get preference.

When i was looking into getting government work i found this same thing. Females and minorities get the gravy jobs and/or first stab at the listing if you even get a chance at it.

I suggest you have her start a company of her own just for gov work.

I didn't have a partner that was a female or minority and I found Every job went to the lowest bidder and a lot of times they had to just be buying there way into the job.

Good luck

Back