What's new
What's new

Apologies in advance: TM-2P as a first CNC machine??

Seems to me it's a lot easier to get around the problem of not enough torque to hog with a face mill - just take a couple lighter passes - than it is to get around the problem of not enough SFPM for a 1/16" endmill or drill. I have an old Deckel FP2NC that maxes out at 6300 RPM, and could easily use double that in ordinary onesie twosie model shop type work. When spindle speed is limited, feed rate gets slowed to a crawl out of necessity, to avoid overloading the cutter.

I have 2 VF2SS with 12K spindles and rarely run over 5K. I've even engraved with a 1/32 endmill at 3K. No biggie.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't care about squeezing every last drop of cycle time out of my machines. I frequently run 3-4 machines at a time so if I tweaked a minute off a cycle time the machine is just going to sit longer before I can load another blank.

The probing is nice but IMO not necessary. It does give you the macro programming option though.

If you're planning on 12K spindle because you want to do fast 3D contouring your going to be limited on the feedrate you can run. The control can only process blocks so fast unless you also add the high speed machining option.

More food for thought.

I want to be able to run small detailed parts, but so far I don’t. And steel 99% of the time. Such a big purchase for me; I want it to do everything!
MiniMill 10K spindle is rated for more torque, but I can’t buy that one.

Am I going to be the fool stuck in 1985 with a 6K spindle?

It is obvious it will fit what I currently do. I guess I’m begging for encouragement.

SIM already answered my questions, thanks!
Yet, now my head is spinning… Can engraving, as a last op, be done at all at 6K RPM?
I ran a tm3 for several years with a 6k spindle, engraving wasn't that bad. It would be nice at times to have some more spindle speed, but I would prefer the extra torque personally

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

How come you guys in this sub forum are so willing to help and share your experience? To a noob at that!?!?

Thanks sooooo much.

There’s noobs and then there’s noobs. You’re not asking about 9x20 Asian benchtop lathes. You might be a noob to CNC but not to machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last question:

Due to a worn out back, I worry about the leaning required in loading parts onto the table.

I’m very careful with my manual machines and obviously I can get right up against the tables. Like, belly against the machine. I can install vises, dinky indexers, etc, just fine on the manual machines. Even “big” parts.

On one of the lathes I use my homemade hillbilly crane for the 12” chuck.

On the enclosed TM-2P, I imagine there is no accessing the table ends? Just opening the front doors and leaning over?

Last question:

Due to a worn out back, I worry about the leaning required in loading parts onto the table.

I’m very careful with my manual machines and obviously I can get right up against the tables. Like, belly against the machine. I can install vises, dinky indexers, etc, just fine on the manual machines. Even “big” parts.

On one of the lathes I use my homemade hillbilly crane for the 12” chuck.

On the enclosed TM-2P, I imagine there is no accessing the table ends? Just opening the front doors and leaning over?

Should be doors on each end as well.

Freak, I need to use my eyes…. Thank you!

Eh it's easy to get caught up in the moment.

I've run a lot of different machines but haas is still my favorite. The control is really what does it for me. Getting and learning a cad/cam system really will open up the machining capabilities for you.

There's a group of people one here that are very anti haas, but there's a reason they are so popular and prevalent.

That is promising news!
Anyone have the latest TM-2 that can confirm?

There’s doors on the end, unfortunately the table is to far away to reach…….I just use the end doors for wash down of chips to the auger.

The good news, the ends of the table can be reached from the front doors!

I use a Skyhook crane to load the vise and fourth axis on and off the machine.

Premium Cherry Picker Sky Hooks

Haas also sells a lift.

Haas Shop Lift - Installation - AD0522

HAAS SHOP LIFT

Kevin

Just to chime in on the probing, non-manufacturing quality wired 3D probes can be purchased for ~300$ and they repeat within 0.001mm if you use the same touch direction.

It is complemented with a wired tool setter that is firmly fixed on your work table for about 100$. If the CNC software has disabled its probing routines due to you not purchasing the tooling, then you have to build the macros yourself which is not very simple. For programmer backround like me its was a breeze, if you find them difficult you can always get some help around and learn new things at the same time.

If money is tight, i would purchase said probes later when you have gotten in touch with the machine. They are very delicate and easy to damage beyond repair.

It is tempting to modify the side windows into full walk through doors. At least one of them. Probably turn into a leak nightmare.

Also, I was wondering on MQL to ease my worry about coolant. Anyone running the oil mist instead of coolant? The setup Haas sells is over $3,000 because you have to buy the air blast gismo and then attach the MQL system to it.

I'm very used to oil on everything, so that wouldn't be a change. MQL kits are available from other manufacturers for right around $1,000?

Cool mist works great...kinda sorta. The problem for me is that mist is what you'll be breathing day in and day out when running.
Coolant has its mist issues as well...at times.

As to being stuck in 1985 running 6k spindle. Nope, don't worry about it unless engraving or small detail work IS your constant bag of tea. I mentioned as the small stuff WILL take more time with less rpm. But going with a higher rpm spindle will have your roughing and power cutting moves take more time.

I have a 6k on my mini...its a good combination of not enough power and not enough rpm making it just right for most of the work I put in there.

Big heavy stuff, you'll figure a way. Sometimes its grab someone to give you a hand. A lift table, skyhook...block and tacke from an A frame you build. Those Lifts from past post look an awful lot like a Harbor Freight engine lift...maybe a little modification can get you there. FYI...if thinking of doing lots of big stuff, this may not be your machine. Or just a time to rethink your work. Heavy often means big, you''' start to find out tooling extends down from spindle and you won't have your Z travel. Long parts and tooling in your tool umbrella start getting real close...tool changes and...

Just saying a CNC is not quite as flexible to handle big like a Bridgeport, the ram don't swing and your not cutting hanging part outside the machine range. Stuff off the table you need to watch for hitting enclosures and. CN's are great...they are just not what manuals are and it will take some time to figure out what jobs work best in your machine with your tooling.

As far as helping, offering my/ou experience to a Newbie...it is very simple. You will learn and you will share what you have learned with us so together we are all better.
That's kinda the 3 finger down the throat answer.

The 2 finger answer is over the years I have received a lot of great help here and want to give back. Maybe Karma...

The rude and crude selfish answer...I may have a problem that you have the answer to, if your not getting the info you need here you'll pack up and leave. So I help you with the hopes you may be able to help me in the future.

Or possible a combination of all the above.

Coolant mist in a mill typically isn't that bad if you aren't running through coolant. We typically install Royal filtermists. The Haas units are better than nothing but the price reflects the quality.

Probes can be field installed you don't have to order them with the machine. So you could get one after the machine is making you some money. I really do love them.

They are pricey and only affect one tool at a time but they do make mechanical driven CAT40 spindle speeders that you could buy as a workaround to do engraving/surfacing to get desired cycle time out of a small tool.

Back