What's new
What's new

Apprentice Tool list - Anson tool & gages

I'll close with this: this trade is in deep shit..

Phil, I understand what you are saying, but you or I can't change the times. I've offered to teach people what little I know. Nobody wants to learn!

I've been at it 10 years longer than you. Went about it a different way. I asked questions, I wanted more. I had a quest to learn more. I saw people using tools I didn't have, I asked where they got them. When I saw stuff I couldn't afford to buy, I made my own. I was the one that stayed in the shop after everybody had left so that I could make more tools. I wasn't any faster than anybody else, but I had more tools. I got the jobs that nobody else wanted. I could always beat time on any quoted job.

The trouble with the business is that there are so very few "kids" that want to start at the bottom. Most of the engineers and co-ops that I hired though they were "due" a job because they graduated.

Another thing that just burns my ass with some of the "kids" is that nobody wants to listen! I'm talking about a lot of the under 30 bunch. They've got a MBA degree in logistics and they know way more than I do. Fine!

I've done a lot over the years. I've tried to learn something from every shop that I've been in. I've been on 100s of plant tours (thru SME). I've tried to improve myself over the years.

Today we've got people running departments that they no nothing about, but ULM thinks they are experts. Reminds me of used car salesman.

I had a chance last week to have lunch with one of my old bosses. One of the best that I ever had. Toolmaker that became a tool designer, got degree at night and moved to product engineer and then to division engineering manager. My kinda guy!

Guys like us are few and far between. I'm not the best, but when you're #2, you try harder.
JR

I read this whole thread,and I still don't get how Phil can charge money for material that STILL BELONGS to the ANSON Co..Copyright laws have changed due to the internet. Phil has to buy the rights to the material he is selling. I doubt that he has done that. The material still belongs to the heirs of the Anson Co. Or its heirs.

Copyrights used to be 15 years,IIRC. Now,it is 95 years, for works published after 1922,or before 1978. If you doubt this,Google "how long does a copyright last?"

No lawyer is going to take this case because there is really no money in it. Phil,you are just blowing smoke. It is really sweet(:)) how you saved your apprentice papers,but it means absolutely NOTHING legally!

By the way, Phil, a post here cannot be deleted by the person who posted it after a certain amount of time (I forget how much time) has gone by. It would have to be deleted by the owner of the site, or one of his moderators.

I love how a person who makes content about machining for the internet can claim he has never heard of this sight.

That's like when people tell you they didn't get your email or voicemail...

8. Obviously, using the term "world's greates toolmaker" freaked some people out. I guess some folks don't get my sense of humor. There's another guy online who calls himself "America's Toolmaker." Ehhh...right? Lighten up
That would be Don Bailey of Suburban Tool. Active participating member of this site. Who goes out of his way to announce his FREE video's. Don't compare your model to his. Your slime in comparison.
The Kerner family has employed thousands of toolmakers, machinists, and production workers here in Erie for over a century
Aren't you like a 6 man shop. Thousands. (Plural Thousands) I guess gross exaggerations, are just part of your caper.

Is the apprentice tool list the original one,and not re typed by Phil?

I have found the following words spelled wrong on the list: SCAIL,ROLUP,GERCNER,CHANEL(no,not the perfume),CRECENT,PARALEL,HANDEL(No,not the composer),INDECATOR,PRINIUM,SRARRET,TELISCOPING,SCRIBING(which is the act of scribing).(I wrote scribing correctly in the preparatory post I made. But somehow it is coming out with the space between sc and ribing. Why is that?)

I think it must have been made by Phil,as he lists Grizzly as an alternate tool source.

If you are going to CHARGE PEOPLE for this stuff, AT LEAST TRY to do a DECENT job of composing the material. REALLY!

Now,if Phil DID write this POS tool list,he CAN sell it,if anyone wants the 4th. grade spelling.

I thought Phil a little arrogant but an Ok guy. I have known a number of guys who thought they were the cat's meow. Had no problem with him selling because it is difficult for the new guys to get a ton of ideas... and 75 or $100 is not a fortune. spellt wong? I use spell check often. He could write a book and sell it but perhaps he is not smart enough for that. It is really difficult to write a book... one that might sell.

Could have should have....perhaps been a little nicer and respectful to the other tool guys. Certainly, his tips were for the new guys and so he should have made that clear. Saying oneself is best not a good thing to say.

But now it looks like he got his tips in the ringer.

Back