What's new
What's new

Are there jobs out there for a Jig Borer?

KTapply

Aluminum
Ok, I know this question is likely to solicit a bunch of “WTF are you thinking, jig borers are a thing of the past and there are a lot of other equipment out there today that can do the same thing” kind of answers answers. But nonetheless, I need to ask the question of my esteem brethren out there that might have this knowledge.

Is there any work out there that would be worth having a jig borer for? Yes, I have a CNC, it’s a 90’s Hurco BMC 30 and I have a manual mill and a well used Rotary drill. I have a shot at buying a lightly used SIP MP-3k with a decent set of boring tools. I have a small shop so it’s a decent size and I have room for it. What does anyone think?

Kevin.

For sure ........I wish I had a jig borer,and even a grinder for resizing the pin holes in classic motorbike flywheels ...........after a few crankpin replacements ,the holes become oversize and lose the precision fit the makers intended......Most people try to do them with vertical mills ,but the accuracy just isnt there.

For sure ........I wish I had a jig borer,and even a grinder for resizing the pin holes in classic motorbike flywheels ...........after a few crankpin replacements ,the holes become oversize and lose the precision fit the makers intended......Most people try to do them with vertical mills ,but the accuracy just isnt there.
DAMN you! That's a really good reason. Now I'm going to have one of those things follow me home in the hopes that one day I can grind a couple of flywheels and save a worthless motorcycle.

I can think of some parts I would make if I were 25 that could use a jig bore. But as a job shop machine, maybe not ... if you have the space, they look great and you could use it once in a while.
That’s how I am beginning to see it.

Jig bore accuracy is not just a machine, its an entire way of working. Foundation for the machine, constant temperature control of the workspace, inspection equipment to match, fixturing and furniture to match the accuracy of the machine, extra care for cleanliness of every step, the list goes on. Then you have to ensure you have a constant supply of such work, or it all just becomes additional overhead for ordinary class work.

Jig bore accuracy is not just a machine, its an entire way of working. Foundation for the machine, constant temperature control of the workspace, inspection equipment to match, fixturing and furniture to match the accuracy of the machine, extra care for cleanliness of every step, the list goes on. Then you have to ensure you have a constant supply of such work, or it all just becomes additional overhead for ordinary class work.

Yes.

And if you already have all those things and that mindset, then you can achieve the same results with a VMC.

And if you don't have those things or that mindset, then you will not improve your results with a jig borer.

I can absolutely understand the allure of a jig borer, but the reality is that they are obsolete.

I can absolutely understand the allure of a jig borer, but the reality is that they are obsolete.
So is a Ferrari GT 250.

I still want to use/drive one.

I had the pleasure of serving my time in a shop that had two of them, and I loved every minute of running them.

Solid, accurate, and they make you look REALLY good.

The ones I used were Moore brand.

They were fifty years old back then, but still a joy to use.

JMHO.

There is a guy named Brian and has a Youtube channel called "Metalshaper" He works on old jeeps and stays slammed with engine work which he does on his Jig borer.
Yes, I have watched him. That’s part of the reason I started taking these seriously.

So is a Ferrari GT 250.

I still want to use/drive one.

I had the pleasure of serving my time in a shop that had two of them, and I loved every minute of running them.

Solid, accurate, and they make you look REALLY good.

The ones I used were Moore brand.

They were fifty years old back then, but still a joy to use.

JMHO.

Your post reads like you are trying to disagree with me, but you're really just confirming what I already said...

If OP was buying the jig borer to admire and take out for a drive on a sunny day then your analogy would hold water.

Yes, I have watched him. That’s part of the reason I started taking these seriously.

You need to be careful not to conflate work and recreation, as you sound like you're trying to talk yourself into reasons to buy it. If you are buying it purely as an object to admire, then by all means go ahead.

In reality the jig borer will not make a meaningfully better job of boring an engine cylinder than your Hurco if furnished with similarly good quality boring heads. I know this is blasphemy to a lot of people, and I fully expect to get told so, but it's true.

You might get more pleasure out of it and the ability to tell people that you did it on a jog borer, but it will take longer and the results will be, to all intents and purposes, identical.

I'd take whatever you were going to spend on the jig borer and spend it on some nice D'Andrea modular boring heads for your Hurco, and use the floor space for something else.

In reality the jig borer will not make a meaningfully better job of boring an engine cylinder than your Hurco if furnished with similarly good quality boring heads. I know this is blasphemy to a lot of people, and I fully expect to get told so, but it's true.
Um, I'm really not trying to disagree with you.

I actually make jigs and fixtures, Daily.

I don't bore cylinders. I leave the car stuff for the car guys.

The jigs, fixtures, and testing equipment I make is checked with a vision measurement system before put into use on the floor.

Many times the other equipment I have is not accurate enough to pass this muster, so we have to send out stuff to the wire edm guys to assure accuracy.

A jig borer would pay for itself very quickly.

JMHO.

Dream on. I never had a Moore but I've owned the smallest Devlieg. A hurco vs a devlieg ? Yeah right.

If I were making, let's say, ten-replica batches of 1910 Indian 4-valve race motors, it'd be on the devlieg, without a doubt. I'm not up on SIPs but they look to have generally the same layout.

Yeah, in a hearbeat. That'd be, lessee .... .8955 seconds :) Just thinking about the jigmil gets my oxy right up.

IMG_2222.jpg

Ok, I know this question is likely to solicit a bunch of “WTF are you thinking, jig borers are a thing of the past and there are a lot of other equipment out there today that can do the same thing” kind of answers answers. But nonetheless, I need to ask the question of my esteem brethren out there that might have this knowledge.

Is there any work out there that would be worth having a jig borer for? Yes, I have a CNC, it’s a 90’s Hurco BMC 30 and I have a manual mill and a well used Rotary drill. I have a shot at buying a lightly used SIP MP-3k with a decent set of boring tools. I have a small shop so it’s a decent size and I have room for it. What does anyone think?

Kevin.
The 2 jig borers we had when I worked in a Toolroom making press tools, jigs, fixtures and gauges were indispensable as was the Moore jig grinder. All went Eastwards when the company was closed down.:angry:

I know what a jig borer is and what it can do. And yes they are considered obsolete but many shops still have them. I have never run one.

Now the question is, if you had a very good condition manual vertical mill (a Bridgeport for reference) that had a DRO, is the jig borer still more accurate with hole placement?

Back