What's new
What's new

Are there to many 1 man shops for young folks to compete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garwood

Diamond
I am real and yes I live in ontario just outside of Toronto I also have a small piece of land out east in the middle of nowhere as a back up, reading all these comments leaves me still without anseweres to some degree but seeing how many people have a hard time believe a young guy can bust his ass and almost have a house paid off without help in one of the most expensive housing markets makes me feel that my work ethic is something that will probably keep me ahead . I am not asking this question to start a shop half assed like anyone else, at my age its either keep working for other people or if im going to do this I have to go the whole way. I dont want to make friends with other shops I want to undercut them and still make more by reducing machine times and overhead woch frankly sounds like allt of people here don't care about. Anyways I appreciate the comments keep them coming but no im not a troll I spent the last 11 years working every hour I good , I slept at ships, kept a toothbrush in my locker and worked for straight time instead of overtime if it was the only option. Im not some young beginner who doesn't even know the machines yet im just not sure how so many out of date folks are even getting any work specially running out or rented shops or there little garage. And a million dollar machine isn't my first goal, I would hope yo prove myself on 2 smaller machines and if I can jump into the large boring or machining centers. Aswell as having a fair sized shop and no there not complete shit holes, but there do need some tlc , atleast you can fit bigger machines in a shop . You guys are split between the pessimist and optimists but yeah if im doing this it isn't to do thing the way you are , its to undercut you and make better margins and put your garage machine shop out of competition. There is alot of work where I am located anywhere 100 kms around but you guys make it sound like there is no way to do jobs cheaper other than to do it for minimum wages and I dont know if yoh guys are blind or brilliant. I believe the former but its worth hearing you out

Did you skip over all the advice in this thread about how your work ethic and machining abilities don't mean jack shit if you can't sell and be a people person?

You don't sound like a people person at all, you come off as as an egotistic asshole. And the mentality that there is so much work out there that you don't have to worry about selling is total rubbish. Maybe this moment in history it is that way, but give it a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.