What's new
What's new

Articulated arm vs conventional dial/test indicator stand

drummerdimitri

Plastic
I would like to purchase a Noga magnetic base stand for my dial and test indicators, however I am not sure which style to go for.

The articulated arm looks like it would be faster to set up for taking measurements but the conventional rod style seems to be the better option for more accurate placement of the tool.

Price isn't a deciding factor so please share your thoughts on both if you've had the chance to use them. Some pros and cons of each model would also help in the decision making.

I've got a few of both, the solid rod design with fine adjust base usually gets used on a bench or surface plate and the articulated ones , with fine adjust heads, get used on the machines for setups.

Pretty much without exception.

They just work best for those purposes.

The articulated have more movement or "flex" when being rotated right side up to upside down than their solid rod counterparts.

Being a machinist, my noga big boy gets used daily. My solid rod stands get used monthly.
Both have a place in my shop.

If I only had one, it would be a Noga articulated. Too many times that solid rod sticking out of the base on a conventional style is right in the way or hitting something else. The arm lock and the magnet on mine were plenty strong.

what are you planning to doing with it? You should figure out what you want to do then find the best tool for that, not the other way round. I have 4 different styles of indicator holders that I use on a daily/weekly basis depending on the task.

I'd rather have 3 cheap ones that stay set up for specific tasks than have one nice one that I am constantly setting up.

My go-to is a Starrett 657D base. It's plain, simple, and reliable. I've had it for 25+ years and it's still good as new.

Our lathe guys love the big,long Noga bases and how flexible they are to quickly move from one area to another.

Our guys use the Noga bases for almost everything, but we still have a few of the rod style bases. I agree with the above sentiment that the rod ones can get in the way and take a second longer to set up, but both have their place. The Noga style have a single knob to tighten and loosen the whole arm, which is great when you have lots of room around it, but can be a pain when you're trying to set it juuust right. You almost need three hands to hold it all in place. Having individual control over each joint is better in that regard.

I only use the articulated type. I have some of the 'old' type and I try to give them away to anyone who will take them. It hasn't worked yet.

I have a stack of the old solid rod style just sitting around gathering dust. While I don't deign to get rid of them, I grab the Noga first, every time. I've got 3 or 4 of those now. While they aren't the *best* articulated arm indicator stand, they are the best for me. They work perfectly well for what they cost, and are a great middle ground.

Thanks for the replies. Given my application: Checking drill chuck runout mostly, I have a lot of space to work with and having thought about it more, the articulated type would actually be preferable to start with. Might eventually get the rod type and then decide which one I like best.

It's experience - you try one and if it is not giving you the results you need then you use a more difficult and expensive solution. If a thumb in the breeze is all you need, then you got the cheap solution.

After potting up with solid rod bases for years, I bought a Noga articulated arm base and it has become my go to. So much easier to get the indicator tip exactly where I want it

I use the Noga 80% of the time, maybe more. The Starrett, I think 57A, and similar cover the rest. One thing I will say about the Noga though, I prefer the model that actuated at the base. The one with the adjuster near the tip has too weak a spring, and I’m always having issues with it moving at odd angles.

I’d love to try the better than Noga ones, but I have what was readily available, and use what I have.

Back