What's new
What's new

At whits end with a employee

I know those "talks", been on receiving end. Why don't you do A-B-C-D, what is the problem with you. Me being 20YO had no fucking idea what is wrong, because I did not know what was right. If you as boss want results from the talk, esp from 20yo, dont be like that. Also promoting not money, but pride in done jobs, and not being constantly on someone's ass all the time on every neety detail, how it should be done. Carry someone on their hand all the time, and he will forget how to think on their own, no personal achievemnt, no pride in job done, no motivation. Pushing people only carries you that far.
Push him not to just do something, but like do this now, because only he can do this. We can downplay reasons, why. Because everybody else is busy, because you dont want to do it.

I get bored easily. Making 10 identical widgets on a manual mill or lathe feels like torture at times. Machining is fun, production is not. It sounds like the kid might be starting to realize that.

It got pretty bad for me about 5 years in. "Why am I here?" "Will I be punching someone else's time clock until death?" "Wtf is the point?"

I was making the same money as guys who had 20 years in the trade but I hated going to work; the only possible outcome was building a life of mediocrity; I developed a very toxic and contagious attitude. "Working for the weekend" was a thought sure to induce a panic attack.

I believe this is a common problem among my generation. Starting my own business brought me out of the depth of despair. It gave my work purpose and created long term goals that I alone am responsible for.

If the kid is not being slow because of spite; it would be good to sit down with him and learn what's in his head.

See on the telly last night how all the 20 year olds are facing burnout (no,not the smoky tyre kind) and need to go to a 4 day week........and they quote some research that shows company profits rose 35% with a 4 day week.........the examples shown are 'design studios ' and 'media research teams'.......WTF do these people do ?......certainly nothing of any value to the economy.

See on the telly last night how all the 20 year olds are facing burnout (no,not the smoky tyre kind) and need to go to a 4 day week........and they quote some research that shows company profits rose 35% with a 4 day week.........the examples shown are 'design studios ' and 'media research teams'.......WTF do these people do ?......certainly nothing of any value to the economy.
I saw something along the same lines here, it was not 4 -10 hr days it was 32 hrs week or 4 - 8 hr days. I would be surprised if 8 hrs less work is more productive, but what do I know?

edit:
Here it is:

Short excerpt:
"...workers in the U.K., found when companies switched to a four-day workweek workers' productivity, health, relationships and even finances improved. California Representative Mark Takano recently reintroduced the 32-hour Workweek Act in Congress as well..."

Last edited:
See on the telly last night how all the 20 year olds are facing burnout (no,not the smoky tyre kind) and need to go to a 4 day week........and they quote some research that shows company profits rose 35% with a 4 day week.........the examples shown are 'design studios ' and 'media research teams'......

Interestingly, these types of jobs are probably the first to go with the rise of AI.

Those 4 day work weeks will soon be 0 days...

You got me ....I'm living in a redneck boomer fantasy world where 20 somethings actually do useful work .
Kinda disheartening to see this kind of opinion as a 20 something myself, how do you expect the young to succeed when you give up on them before they even start?

Now I know your comment was laced with sarcasm(or at least I hope it was) from start to finish but that opinion is all too common from a lot of employers(not all of you). I dunno if it is different in Australia but I feel at least where I'm from that the willing to learn 20 y/o's far outweigh the deadbeats. Fact of the matter is we are a different generation and we go about things differently, adapt to us and meet us in the middle.

-AGMantz

... Fact of the matter is we are a different generation and we go about things differently, adapt to us and meet us in the middle.

-AGMantz
This is some of the problem. The entitlement and thinking everyone needs to change for them. When I was a 20 something, I learned how to do the job, worked the schedule that was set, and then tried to improve things with ideas.

This is some of the problem. The entitlement and thinking everyone needs to change for them. When I was a 20 something, I learned how to do the job, worked the schedule that was set, and then tried to improve things with ideas.
Why don't you read the end of that sentence one more time. I'm not quite sure you understand what I was trying to say

I've done the same thing, I was put on Wire edm with minimalistic training and pretty much was told to figure it out... so I did and here I am now still working the same job with a lot more confidence. My employer gave me the tools to build that confidence my own way after he saw that I was willing to put in the work. At no point was I saying to let us sit on our ass with our phones out doing nothing, both parties need to put in work. It isn't entitlement its compromise in the workspace between employee and employer.

Sounds like the op has given this guy the freedom to "go about things differently" and he is not "willing to put in the work". What compromise would you suggest. The op knows he can do the job in a timely manner, but fails to do so regularly. This guy doesn't even cover his wage, but sounds like he can easily.

Sounds like the op has given this guy the freedom to "go about things differently" and he is not "willing to put in the work". What compromise would you suggest. The op knows he can do the job in a timely manner, but fails to do so regularly. This guy doesn't even cover his wage, but sounds like he can easily.
Both parties need to put in work, the OP is obviously putting in work to try and help this guy because he could be valuable, but if the employee doesn't want to work then there is nothing to compromise, simple as that. Not sure what you don't understand.

I think the problem is "going about things differently." The employees generally need to adapt to the employer, not the other way around. A new guy shouldn't be trying to tell the boss how to go about anything.
I suppose going about things different was too broad of a term. I 100% agree that a employee shouldn't be telling the boss how to run his shop. I personally think that the OP should can this employee. When I say going about things differently I mean that our generation solves problems and learns differently than the generations before us. An employer should recognize this and use that to his advantage to grow and shape that employee into someone that can benefit his company(this only pertains to an employee who has proven himself to the employer and is now recognized as someone who can be beneficial to the company and is actually there to work). My first post was not directed at the OP and instead was directed at the comment from john.k

At no point did I say that an employee should tell the boss how to run their business, but without change there is no evolution.

Last edited:
Hire his replacement. Maybe he will pick it up. If not let him go.

My original boss would hire 3 fire 2. We had a lot of young bodies roll through the door. In the end he had a very motivated/skilled crew.
It was rough, but you worked.
People are forgetting work is about actually producing/productivity.

Had to shake my head the other day. On Ali express looking up a little solenoid coil winder. The sample vid was a gym sized room. Elbow to elbow with workers banging out little transformer coils. 30 seconds a coil pack row length x width….
I cannot think of one person I know that would work like that. Far too privileged to sit and just work. It honestly made me embarrassed to see them working so effectively knowing I could not set that up in my country and produce here.
People would take unemployment and bitch and complain before working hard.
(And that’s no slight on those factory workers.mad respect for them grinding to support their family and build their country)

How do we get the current and next generation to understand it’s not shameful or degrading to do hard work. Factory repetitive work?
We demand the products (and waste them) while compleatly looking down on the work that creates the product :/

How do we get the current and next generation to understand it’s not shameful or degrading to do hard work. Factory repetitive work?
We demand the products (and waste them) while compleatly looking down on the work that creates the product :/

Part of the reason is the last 25+ years have seen the rise of the Tech Bro, where folks with programming skills (the computer, not CAM type) have seen tons of "success stories" where they reap millions for sitting at a desk pounding code. It's pretty hard to motivate a $12/hr BluCol worker to put in effort when they get their paycheck at the end of the week compared to that.

Part of the reason may be that Boomers turned out to not be the best parents in many cases, so self-centered and inward-looking that they didn't recognize the needs of their children (I say this as a Boomer). Their parents were amazing, between the wars and the Great Depression, but perhaps spoiled their kids a bit much as a reaction. Boomer's and their kids begat the youngsters of today, and here we are...

We might see a little more influx of BluCol-willing workers over the next years given the current meltdown of Tech, what with Google, Amazon, Meta, Twitter, etc. all hemorrhaging their coders and management. Might change things a bit when it becomes clear that backrubs and catered lunches aren't perks to be expected.

Last edited:
OP you are in WAY too deep, you've wasted too much of your time and money giving the kid a chance which he could give a shit about. Send him. Don't waste another day with him. He either isn't old/mature enough to handle he job, or he isn't a machinist period, never will be. Way too many times shop owners thing everyone can be a machinist, and wants to be. Not the case. It took me years to finally see the light with that truth.

And the line......"It seems to take.about 2 or 3 to find a good one to keep" ......what a hoot! If that's the case you have NO idea how lucky you have been. Today most times it can take dozens of trys to find one keeper.

Back