What's new
What's new

Atlas Craftman 101 reverse gear

pmunkey

Plastic
I'm havingctrouble figuring out how to engage the reverse gear for my Atlas craftsman 101 6 inch lathe. Does anyone know how?

None of these show or explain the process of engaging the reverse gear. I flip the lever and it just locks the spindle.

None of these show or explain the process of engaging the reverse gear. I flip the lever and it just locks the spindle.
Perhaps you should explain what you mean by "reverse gear." I took it to mean the tumbler gears that can reverse the direction of the lead screw. That lever is mentioned in the instructions. It is at the left end of the headstock. A lever that locks the spindle would be the back gear engaging lever.

Atlas published a good book on how to operate their lathes with much more detailed information that the few pages that came with the lathes. Here is a free download, or you can buy an actual book on eBay.

Larry

Last edited:
A simple up-down lever changes the gears and puts the feeds in reverse. The motor/spindle direction/reverse is an electrical switch.
Here see a photo to see the up-down lever on the big machine straight above the quick change gear box, and the side to side (right to left) lever on the smaller machine at the left end of the lead/feed screw.
Sometimes you may need to wiggle the chuck to get the gears to mesh in.

Last edited:
If I recall...
when engaging back gears with the lever the original poster is "probably" moving, you need to pull a small pin # 123 to disengage the Back Gear # 122 in the second link from L Vanice reply #2 pdf 1924 .

Mike

Perhaps you should explain what you mean by "reverse gear." I took it to mean the tumbler gears that can reverse the direction of the lead screw. That lever is mentioned in the instructions. It is at the left end of the headstock. A lever that locks the spindle would be the back gear engaging lever.

Atlas published a good book on how to operate their lathes with much more detailed information that the few pages that came with the lathes. Here is a free download, or you can buy an actual book on eBay.

Larry
The spindle reverse gear.

Back