What's new
What's new

Atrump mill needs depth (Z axis) adjustment along Y direction

nobrush

Plastic
Hi,
I have an Atrump mill (Bridgeport copy) at work and when I cut in the Y direction on a 7" piece, it's cutting .030" deeper (Z direction) from one end to the other. How do you adjust that and what is that called? I know tramming is for the head, but that won't fix it as I move the table out/in with regards to the head/cutter. Is this in depth or do we need an expert to do it? I'm in the SF bay and apparently there's only 1 guy and there's a big language barrier as he and I have misunderstood each other on multiple occasions already.

Last edited:
What does an indicator say swept across the table as it moves in y?

Quill lock tight? Knee locks tight?

I didn't see a knee lock but I'll have to look. I didn't realize there was a gib on the knee until watching a video yesterday so yeah, that's going to have to get adjusted. You guys are awesome for helping me out so quickly. Thanks

I didn't see a knee lock but I'll have to look. I didn't realize there was a gib on the knee until watching a video yesterday so yeah, that's going to have to get adjusted. You guys are awesome for helping me out so quickly. Thanks

How about you start with the indicator?

You're going to need to do a better job describing the problem before anyone can help you. Show us a picture with the problem. Are you saying that the height of the part is .030" different over the width of the cutter and that stepping over in the 'Y' axis is leaving steps? Or are you saying that you get a good blend between cutter overlaps but the part is .030" smaller at one end of the 'Y' axis compared to the other?

Either that or start with the indicator. Run the table back and forth in 'Y' with the indicator registering on the tabletop and tell us what the indicator says, then set the spindle in the center of the table with the indicator registered on the tabletop and sweep 'round and tell us what the indicator says.

Back