What's new
What's new

Auto Body Sheet Metal Fabrication: Is Scroll Saw Cutting Practical?

Depends on your skill level. A Sawzall could work in the hands of a skilled person.

Scroll saws have several different blades, like any saw, but it is an option.

I have used them for aluminum. The blade would try to grab, and lift the sheet metal. So lubrication as well as slow feed and a fine pitch blade will be key if it works.

Thanks for the replies. Some comments:

SAWZALL: I use templates to make precise fitting pieces. Cutting sheet stock with a Sawzall won't do it. But a saber saw will. However when making small pieces like 1" x 1" and smaller, you need a table like a bandsaw.

PLASMA CUTTER: This is not a process for precise cutting - you cannot nibble with a plasma cutter. I purchased an ESAB 875 50a 1.25" sever thinking I could do precise work but the precision isn't there.

SCROLL SAW w/ALUM: Alum get gummy when cut. Steel might be a different story. The limiting factor may be the available types for the different types of scroll saw blades. A good heavy blade (by scroll saw standards) would probably work the best.

Need to find someone who has gone this route.

PLASMA CUTTER: This is not a process for precise cutting - you cannot nibble with a plasma cutter. I purchased an ESAB 875 50a 1.25" sever thinking I could do precise work but the precision isn't there.

If you want precision with a plasma you need a Hypertherm. On their bigger power units Hypertherm has the ability to use the consumables from the smaller torches for better cut quality. You are doing the equivalent of hunting squirrels with a .300 Win Mag and complaining it ruins to much meat.

In the tech college autobody program I was in we used shears and nibblers for cutting small patches.
Yes, and in Kindergarten they gave us scissors that were rounded on the ends, no "pointy bits".......

What thickness material? 20 gauge or so and I would think a few styles of hand shears would be all you want or need.

16 gauge would probably warrant something better.

What thickness material? 20 gauge or so and I would think a few styles of hand shears would be all you want or need.

16 gauge would probably warrant something better.

18 ga (.048) is typical. But .062, .093, and .125 sometimes which need a saw.
I have all the WISS aviation snips - even the "blunt nose" for 16ga.

Snips don't work too good cutting when you can't "roll up" the discarded piece - have seen the method of using the LH and RH to cut a large sheet in half (that's where the big bandsaw comes in which spoiled me.)

I could use my air nibbler to rough cut, then snips to trim for thin.

That's nice dear, and I'm sure the thread starter will put this info to good use.
No, maybe you can simply sit on your hands for awhile ....
Every body shop I have been in, or seen on T.V./Youtube has a plasma cutter.
Adults use proper power tools.

18 ga (.048) is typical. But .062, .093, and .125 sometimes which need a saw.
I have all the WISS aviation snips - even the "blunt nose" for 16ga.

Snips don't work too good cutting when you can't "roll up" the discarded piece - have seen the method of using the LH and RH to cut a large sheet in half (that's where the big bandsaw comes in which spoiled me.)

I could use my air nibbler to rough cut, then snips to trim for thin.
for sheet metal, air nibblers work the best to cut odd shaped parts, unless you have a foot brake shear.

No, maybe you can simply sit on your hands for awhile ....
Every body shop I have been in, or seen on T.V./Youtube has a plasma cutter.
Adults use proper power tools.
And what makes you think we didn't have a plasma cutter at the tech school and did not use it when it was the best tool for the job. Shears can be manual or powered.

If you watched videos of pros shaping / replacing sheetmetal you would know they use shears and nibblers, in addition to plasma cutters, pullmax and large stationary shears. Pros also use beverly shears, which are manual.

Here is J.J. using a Trumpf shear.

and here is Fay Butler using handheld power shears.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsg
I would use a Beverly shear..........or Kett shears to cut material from a large sheet.

You could also use a Heck trace a punch........
Heck Punch.png

Kevin

Last edited:
for sheet metal, air nibblers work the best to cut odd shaped parts, unless you have a foot brake shear.
I have an air nibbler and it is not possible to actually see the scribe line when cutting. Shapes are complex and need to be cut within say a 32nd from one side of the scribe. Easy on my former 32" bandsaw. Or even a saber saw.
NOTE: The job is rust repair, not resto. I'm not a shop, but more advanced than hobby. Oxy-acetylene sheet metal welding and for a while had nearly mastered the art of preheat so when weld cooled, everything shrank to the original cold shape.

In the tech college autobody program I was in we used shears and nibblers for cutting small patches.
Actually one solution is to nibble close and then trim with snips for up to 18 ga. 16ga can nibble, but only straight 16ga blunt nose WISS snips which are limiting.

I have an air nibbler and it is not possible to actually see the scribe line when cutting. Shapes are complex and need to be cut within say a 32nd from one side of the scribe. Easy on my former 32" bandsaw. Or even a saber saw.
NOTE: The job is rust repair, not resto. I'm not a shop, but more advanced than hobby. Oxy-acetylene sheet metal welding and for a while had nearly mastered the art of preheat so when weld cooled, everything shrank to the original cold shape.
on rust repair, you ususally cut it large by about 1/2" and end up scribing a line then trimming the body back to that line with a cutoff wheel.

Back