What's new
What's new

Automatic Back Spot Facing tools?

BluishInventor

Aluminum
I did some searching and couldn't find posts newer than ~2011 on the subject and was wondering if there are any tools on the market that can meet my needs.

I need to back spot face some holes and the dimensions are as follows:
0.386" thru
0.875" back spot face
0.866"
0.080" max depth of spot face(tapered surface)
Material: Silcon Bronze

Unfortunately, I do not have through spindle coolant which some of these systems require to operate. Though, I do have through spindle air/mist(just not sure on the pressure atm).

Here are some options I've found:

The inertia flywheel variant may work, still looking to see if they have the right sizing.

I like this model, but the shank diameter for their smallest model is about .01" too large. Might be able to make an ECR, but that's it's own mess.

Are there any tools you would recommend?

Last edited:
I have one from Heule sitting on my desk right now. Getting ready to use it at the end of the week. It does require through spindle coolant, but I believe through spindle air will work too.

Last edited:
I have one from Heule sitting on my desk right now. Getting ready to use it at the end of the week. It does require through spindle coolant, but I believe through spindle air will work too.
Nice, I found one with proper sizing, but they were coolant actuated(which we don't have). Gave them a call anyways to see if air would suffice and apparently they have a new series that is made for air specifically that should work for my needs.

In case someone stumbles upon this post, here is another option for Automatic Spot Facing tools. http://www.hannatools.net/en/?p=278

I could be wrong, but it looks like this image on the Steiner page is operated by spindle direction.
blade is on a hinge, spin CW to open and machine, spin in CCW for it to spin back shut.

If you cant find one, i bet you could make one with a lathe tool. depends on hole diameter

1661880438759.png

I believe Cogsdill makes one. I haven't personally used one but I have use their back debur tools with good success. Uses reverse spindle rotation to swing the blade out.

Unfortunately from the little digging I've done, most of the mentioned models can't do a .875" spot face with a .386" through hole. Most require a hole close if not more than .500 for a spot that big. Is it not possible to flip the part and cut it from the backside?

Unfortunately from the little digging I've done, most of the mentioned models can't do a .875" spot face with a .386" through hole. Most require a hole close if not more than .500 for a spot that big. Is it not possible to flip the part and cut it from the backside?
For half of them yes. The other half have features in the way. We can always default to the manual method if needed, but trying to do this all on the CNC. Dial one in, let er rip. I have 8 per part across 14 parts...

Do you have a lot of these to do? If not you could make your own and put M00's where needed then install the tool, cut, remove the tool, then retract.

Back