What's new
What's new

B&A Precision

Then my brother-in-law hooked me up with some really nice carts:

get-attachment3_zps114b0757.jpg

There are two more similar to the blue ones not in the pic. You can never have too many solid flat-spots. Even better when they are on wheels!

Got the office pretty much sorted out:

get-attachment1_zpsf67f5890.jpg

actually, now that I look at that pic, Allison has painted the office since then! LOL. It is now blue. The couch is so she has a comfy place to sit while she is keeping me company on weekends (and where the dog chills and guards the door). behind where I sit at the desk is the surface plate, next to it, the nicest blue-cart/shelf for displaying parts.

Last edited:
It was also becoming a pain not having a good "work-spot" for misc "stuff". So i hauled my trusty table from home to the shop:

table_zps3ed8d7b7.jpg

That will be the general deburr / work-area. I miss my table in the garage already. That thing has been my favorite tool for many years. It is an upsidedown 5x6 piece of 5/8" diamond plate that used to be a road-plate. I got it for free. It is nowhere near flat! but it was free at a time when I had no money. It is very sturdy. I have built countless engines, transmissions, motorcycles, even a rhino on that table. Now it gets to earn its keep at the shop. Even though it more than earned its keep many years ago.

And, here is the current, and very temporary compressed air situation:

get-attachment2_zps5680d7ee.jpg

You can see that I just wired it to an unused breaker in the panel :nono: . There was no 220v in the shop. Only 110v receptacles, and two 3-phase drops. And I needed air quick, and cheap. So, that was the solution. I have been living with that cheapie home-depot orange air hose draped across the floor (to the mill) from day one, and it is very annoying! There is no other air in the shop unless i plug another cheapie orange air-hose into the outlets on the compressor, and that hose also annoyingly lays sprawled all over the floor. The air situation needs to change, and soon. Further complicating the air situation, that is my compressor from home. And it needs to go back home ASAP! I can live without my table at home (barely!), but not the compressor. Not to mention, that "3-lunger" is freakin loud! runs too often, and is right on the other side of the wall from my desk. Like I said, the air situation needs to change, and soon.

Which brings me to the latest equipment purchase:

T30_zpsc7eee03f.jpg

Ingersol T-30! it needs some work, but everybody knows these are ridiculously over-built, bomb-proof compressors. And because it needs a little TLC, I picked it up for pretty cheap. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, other than some of the small copper lines are smashed. and it is missing a pressure switch. I will give it a once over, install a pressure switch, new belts, change the oil, fix the minor plumbing issues, and figure out the wiring. Should be the last compressor i need for years. Someday I will upgrade to a screw compressor. But there are many other things i need before that, this big beast will work just fine. I also picked up a nice SpeedAir refrigerated air-dryer:

airdryer_zpscb63d513.jpg

And, I am going tonight to pick up an 80gal. reserve tank. So, I will bolt the dryer to the top of the reserve, and lag it to the floor right next to the T-30. Then I will have 200gal. of clean dry air. Spend a sunday running some copper, and I will be able to forget about that situation and focus on work! Speaking of work......back to the grind!!!

What makes you say that the way you have it warred is wrong?
Seems perfect to me.

You think that b/c there is no recepticle in the mix that there is something wrong with it?

Warred dogfast to the breaker would be ideal!
One less joint to fail.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Never seen a T-30 with no rad on it before.

???

That looks like a baby motor tho.

A truck in the snow for wallpaper - posted from AZ. LOL!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

This is really awesome, now the question for you is, when do you plan on sticking to just B&A?

I love your work ethic and enthusiasm, hopefully when I graduate college and have some money of my own, I can be like you!

Abraham

What makes you say that the way you have it warred is wrong?
Seems perfect to me.

You think that b/c there is no recepticle in the mix that there is something wrong with it?

Warred dogfast to the breaker would be ideal!
One less joint to fail.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I guess the fact that I don't know if it's right, wrong, or code, is why I gave it the :nono: . I am no electrician! I know enough to get by, and not burn the joint down. In my common-sense filled mind I know its perfectly safe. But in a code inspectors eyes? I don't know?

Never seen a T-30 with no rad on it before.

???

That looks like a baby motor tho.

A truck in the snow for wallpaper - posted from AZ. LOL!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

HA-HA! I do live in AZ, but I am from Pennsylvania! And I miss the snow very much! I made my living for a few years plowing snow in the winter, and hauling scrap in the summer. Don't get me started, I really miss the snow.
(And I really like first generation Dodge diesels, hence the pic of the first-gen in the snow!)
I was thinking the motor on the T-30 was HUGE. Maybe the pic is playing tricks. It is a Baldor, and I would guess it to be original?

Nice shop ! thanks for posting pictures. Just a couple of random thoughts OSB or any wood is not a good idea along the bottoms of walls anywhere sparks can hide. My compressor is still on the original wood skid never bolted to the floor 55 years after delivery ( which kind of counters my first warning ;) ---Trevor

This is really awesome, now the question for you is, when do you plan on sticking to just B&A?

I love your work ethic and enthusiasm, hopefully when I graduate college and have some money of my own, I can be like you!

Abraham

Ehh, you don't want to be like me! Trust me. I'm old, fat, and crippled! LOL. Seriously though, that's one hell of a compliment, and I thank you very much. I do hope that you find it in your soul to have the great work ethics that I do have. And that you find something that you are passionate about to provide you a good livelihood. That is the key! People go to work every day. People work hard every day. But how many people go to work, and work hard because they want to? Not just because they have to? Not very many I am afraid. I don't have many friends who can honestly say they love their jobs. Well, I do love my job. I love both of my jobs. Even though my days at my real job are numbered, I still take it very seriously. I give it 100% when I am there. And I put great pride into everything I do. That includes customer service. If I say I am going to do something, by gosh, I try my damnedest to git-er-done. And, personal integrity goes a long-long way. I could be stealing work right now. But, I am doing everything I can to keep both jobs separate. That has proven to be quite difficult. Especially when those dollar signs flash in front of my eyes. But, I am gonna get it honest. There will be no burnt bridges left behind. And I will have a clear conscience.

So, thanks for the compliment Abe. I wish you the best of luck. Hard-work will pay off. At least that's what I keep telling myself! LOL. As for your question: I can't answer that yet. when I can consistently make enough money to cover B&A's expenses, plus what I make at the "real" job on 40hr weeks, for 5-6 months in a row, is when my notice will get turned in.

I guess I have a few more pics I could post before I hit-the-hay. Shop from the outside:
But the girl who parks in what i consider "MY" spot is in for a rude awakening as soon as I go full-time day shift at B&A! see the little 3x3 concrete square next to the door? and the parking space that is one walking step away from that square? She says, and I quote: "I have been parking there 13 years. that's kinda just my spot". To which I replied nicely: "uhh, really? okay, I think". LOL

Next time you are there at 5 pm, just back up a truck so it looks like you are unloading into the warehouse, and when she asks to move it take about 30 minutes to do it. Guarantee she will never park there again.

Looks like everything is coming along nicely. I enjoy reading your updates. I think I have the big brother to your compressor, a T60. Mine has the air cooler, auto drain, and a 15hp motor. I too have been working hard lately trying to fix my air problems. Will be updating soon.

Next time you are there at 5 pm, just back up a truck so it looks like you are unloading into the warehouse, and when she asks to move it take about 30 minutes to do it. Guarantee she will never park there again.

yea, I have already done that a couple times. I think she knows whats eventually coming. I took two vacation-days two weeks ago to work at B&A. both days I was the first truck in the parking-lot. And, I double parked in those first two spots both days. I packed a big lunch, and never left. you can see three parking spaces in that picture. Well, thats all there is near the building. just to the left out of view is a row of 4 large dumpsters. The neighbors of subject are actually a glass shop. They are constantly filling the dumpsters with broken glass. When the trucks come to service the dumpsters, glass flies all over the place, and nobody will park in that third spot (next to the dumpster) because of the glass. So, in all reality, there are only two spots. The rest of the parking is out in the middle of the lot. maybe 30 paces away. Now, it states right in the lease: "Each suite gets two designated parking spaces. They would be the two spaces closest to the entrance to the suite." So, if it gets too un-neighborly, I will just have the property manager mark those spaces with my suite number.

Different matter all together: the same neighbors had a disgruntled employee quit. He brought the truck back at 9:30pm on a Saturday night. Of-course I was the only human around. He jammed the truck in the "3rd space", threw the keys in the little gravel area next to their door. And, for some reason there is a stack of 4 cinder-blocks at the corner of the building just outside my door, and next to where I was parked. Well, this disgruntled jack-wad decided to grab one of those cinder-blocks, and take it over on throw it on top of the keys he threw in the rocks. As he huffed and puffed past my truck, the cinder-block put a huge 5" long gouge in the paint on MY bumper!! As I stood less than 3 feet away in my office watching his childish antics. So, needless to say, the neighbors and I are not off to a great start!

My long-term plans/goals definitely include getting up in the morning, and walking out to the shop with my bowl of oatmeal from my kitchen, in my home!

Hey Bill I just came acrossed this. Glad to see you stepped up jumped in and got the machine. I'm glad you got a newer machine. Good luck and if you need anything let me know.
Kelly

Hey Bill I just came acrossed this. Glad to see you stepped up jumped in and got the machine. I'm glad you got a newer machine. Good luck and if you need anything let me know.
Kelly

When I saw the "last post" was from a "Kelly", I was wondering if it was the neighbor that is parking in your spot?

I guess now - I'm still wondering as that appears to be possible. ;)

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back