What's new
What's new

B axis Tool Change Offset?

Gumbydammit

Plastic
I have a TR110 rotary on a 2012 VF-1 with a Classic Controller. I wanted to change the Grid Offset or Tool change Offset on the B axis, so I can have the axis to the grid when homing... Currently it is skewed about 30 degrees after homing. (B axis)

I got it to work for the A axis, but for some reason the B axis seems not to change when I change either of those two settings.

Does anyone here have any insight on this? I know I can create a dedicated offset like G56 and call it every time, but I would like to not be forced down that path.

I did a DEBUG and found the correct encoder value I would need is 64862. I tried to enter that value as a positive number and negative number as a possible variant, but no luck. It does say in my literature that the recommended values for the grid offset are between -32768 and +32768. Not sure if that is an absolute, so I tried a few tests with numbers in that range, and still no luck. (No perceptible change of any kind when homing).

20220401_171904.jpg

20220401_161158_proc.jpg

Thanks in advance for any insight on this topic.

Cheers,
Gumbydammit

Okay,

I have had zero responses, so I guess I am in deep waters as far as Haas things go. I thought I would follow up and say I figured it out.

There are two parameters you can change. Grid Offset and Tool Change Offset. I wanted to use Grid Offset, but there is a bit of code that looks at the moment homing hits the limit switch and then backs off a bit to keep from having the switch thrown constantly.

The way I had the vise mounted made it that I was too close to the Zero point on the Limit Switch and it gives an error every time. My apologies I cannot remember the wording of the error. So I unmounted the chuck, turned it 90 degrees, and found the new encoder reading that made it parallel to the X axis.

I entered that value in the Tool Change Offset parameter and Viola! The vise Zeroes out to within a few microns right at startup.

One other thing I encountered that I wasn't expecting for those of you out here with 5 axis. The Long axis of the trunnion was 100 microns off from left to right. (On the platter) so that is 8 thou on the platter. So I had to shim the Trunnion in.

OKay, I hope it helps someone out here.

This image shows what I get by hitting the power up button now.

Fixed_01.jpg

Cheers,
Gumbydammit

Back