What's new
What's new

B&S #2L grinder help

Froneck

Titanium
I have a #2L B&S Surface Grinder, works great. I did clean it well, oiled all sliding ares and made sure the self oiler was working. I cleaned and painted all handles after masking the chromed areas.
BUT! when I painted the feed lever/handle the items in the slot that are needed to flip the handle for right to left feed were somewhat beat up. I do have the shop manual but it's not very clear as to how it's supposed to work. If I wanted power feed I simply flipped the lever by hand, cross feed works fine.
I have a few plates 3 X 6" I need to grind to within .005" thickness. Dimension don't matter blank is thicker than finished part but wire EDM service wants material flat to .005, if more it would add cost. Material thickness is 3/8" finished part after cutting to shape is .310".
Would the lever work if I simply put in a fixed flat piece of metal that will hit the stops on the table?
Do the stops have to be the correct height? I'm thinking that if short the trip lever will go over the top and hit the stop mounting screw/nut and jam. My manual show a somewhat angled stop but I have a simple rectangular block. Probably made at some later time.
Simply put what can I do to get the feed working?

if just the plates that push the change direction of long travel, I would just saw cut some 3/8 plywood to make a trial part/parts.

Then get some mild steel plate to C clamp to an angle plate and cut to size with a parting wheel.

Always use two C clamps for SG work...never one clamp.

You could use a thicker plat so to grind away to leave the key slot part high.

You can plunge a parting wheel or travel long travel back and forth with down feeding when off the verticle held part.

I often down-feed with the part to the left side only, so I do not climb grind traveling toward the right.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I flip the direction lever left and right to get power feed there is a center neutral just like on a milling machine feed. On my mill the table will go in the direction intended by flipping the feed handle, when it contacts the stop it's pushed to the center to stop the feed, I can then flip the handle the opposite way and table will return until lever hits the other stop.
On my B&S grinder there is also a center neutral on the feed lever, what causes it to swing completely in the opposite direction? Is there something I must do that will override center neutral so that the lever only has two position i.e. right and left.

Looked at video. My B&S 2L feed lever doesn't look like the one in the video but does look exactly like the one in the owners manual. My feed lever looks like those on milling machines. I'll make a photo later today.Photo was better on the web. but as you can see the feed handle extends from the operator directly to the table.
Copied from web.
img3.jpg

I found the problem, My manual said to turn the Starting lever to the right. Doing that created a neutral in the feed lever so the center is off but if I flip the starting lever to the Left there is no center neutral, feed lever flips right or left. I got it working today. when the stop lever is used the start lever goes right and now a center neutral. Lever can now be used by hand, to stop the table simply put the lever in the center/neutral.

Need more information on "X" table power feed adjustable trips. Those that came with the machine don't seem to be wide enough, height seems low. When I got the machine it was in good shape, main casting paint and glazing were good just needed cleaning. I removed the handles, masking taped the chrome and painted them that included the "X" table feed direction lever. Now I have need of the power feed (being lazy) I gathered the parts that were stored for future completion. Putting the parts back in the feed handle the dog is flush with the top when rotated to hit the stops, a spring and ball hold it in the engaged position, when rotated to the "off" position the dog is flush/slightly below the end of the lever allowing the feed stops to pass by.. When "on" the dog and stops contact each other only 1/16", rounding of the stop edge shows that it's been that way for a while. Should the stop be higher?

Back