What's new
What's new

B&S Micromaster fine feed knob use

TRD

Plastic
Hello.

I appologize for my very bad english writting.

I am in France near Lyon.

I am retired. Formerly engineer. I am moderator in Passion-usinages forum (Machining passion, in english.)

I have just bought a Brown and Sharpe Micromaster 510. The machine is already in my van. My machine have fine feed adjusting knobs.

But I can't understand how they work. At the moment, the fine adjusting knobs are free. There is a knurked knob in each hand wheel.

I think it allow to engage or desengage the fine adjusting knob. But nothing moves. Maybe just an oxydization problem. But I don't know if it is necessary to pull, push or turn.Maybe, there is a required precise position ? I fear to damage the mecanism.

Please, would you be so kind to explain me how does it works ?

Regards from France. 🇫🇷🗼

On my Micromaster 818, the inner knurled clamp knob locks in a worm gear for the fine feed. After it's tightened, you turn the fine feed knob to use the fine feed. Once that knurled clamp knob is tight, you can no longer turn the large handwheel normally, all feed must be done with the fine feed knob. To use the normal handwheel again you must loosen that inner knurled clamp knob.

It sounds like you may need to disassemble, clean and relubricate your handwheel and fine feed worm and clamp mechanisms.

Hello.

The fine adjustments are working. The former owner had completely unscrew the knobs until they were blocked.

Now all is ok. Thanks a lot.

IMG_20220707_172208_resize_83.jpg

I will make a complete maintenance by the end of this year.

Hello.

The fine adjustments are working. The former owner had completely unscrew the knobs until they were blocked.

Now all is ok. Thanks a lot.

View attachment 368337

I will make a complete maintenance by the end of this year.

You're welcome. :) It's always nice to find something that doesn't work just needs a little tweaking to solve the problem. Enjoy the grinder! I like mine a lot.

Back