What's new
What's new

Bad Alternator Maybe?

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 1,514
Similar situation with my pickup............I swapped the cylinder head.......battery removed , ,unplugged the minimum of electrical ,left the alternator connected ,just pulled the wiring some ...all back together ,and the battery never has full charge .....its never flat ,never fails to start ,but cranks slow in the cold .........if its externally charged ,then it cranks fast ......Its a new battery ,so thats OK..........seems that jiggling the alternator has somehow altered the charge voltage.

TOP POST!
I despise sides!

It gits to 14+ at speed too.

Maybe I should consider a new starter one day and see if anything changes.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I'm no fan of them either, but sometimes you got to run what you brung, or bought. Good top post connectors or the shiddy ones? Maybe ohm your cables to see if there is resistance there, next step is pulling the starter.

If he's got a 250-6 I don't think the side post was even invented yet before that engine was phased out...

You can lift the B+ or ground terminal when you let it sit for awhile and see what happens.

Other than that its probably going to take some study of the wiring harness to see what exactly is hooked to B+.

A chevy truck alternator (might?) still be reasonably priced, but all you really need on a forklift is a little 30A mini alternator to run the ignition and beep the horn.

Back