What's new
What's new

Bad bearings in newly acquired Schaublin 102?

Working lathe was all I read as being advertized And it works
Only thing you can blame the seller is that he did not pack it propperly perhaps
Peter

Then I guess it’s more about the definition of “working lathe”.

I would argue a “working lathe” would mean a machine that can do its job.

A small high precision lathe that has bad bearing can’t do it’s job sooooooooo I’d recon that’s not a “working lathe”.

Then I guess it’s more about the definition of “working lathe”.

I would argue a “working lathe” would mean a machine that can do its job.

A small high precision lathe that has bad bearing can’t do it’s job sooooooooo I’d recon that’s not a “working lathe”.

I did not read anywhere he ran the machine So how do we know it cannot perform
We only hear what the OP has to say
Most of the time there are 2 sides to a story
A few things we are unawere of Did the buyer advised the seller that the machine went by boat As deckcargo perhaps in a salty envirement ??? And did he tell the seller how to pack it Oil is useless then you know You need a preservation then It will rust otherwise. I know

Peter

When I sold a ~63 Monarch 10EE to a forum member, I made a custom 3/4" (2x layered bottom) plywood box, with a "pallet-like" base and plenty of additional 2x4 corner reinforcements. The lathe was cleaned, all mechanical surfaces (precision or unpainted) wiped with a heavy oil, and a couple of large desiccant containers resting on the lathe prior to a heavy plastic tarp being stapled down around the perimeter of the base before adding the sides and top.

In other words, the machine was properly prepped for being shipped, and this was only going about 2/3 cross country, not going to AK. I feel bad for you for the extra work you've got to do, but I don't feel bad for the seller, he was negligent on properly packing the machine.

An excellent job packing btw!

The seller is free to chime in any time. I assume he's reading this thread since he emailed me to say that he put oil on the surfaces 15 minutes after Milland said he should have. The kindest assumption that could be made is that the oil was volatile and evaporated.

To assess the machine I am depending on the knowledge of those who know a lot more than I do about the subject.
Ebay defines used as:
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Can a lathe with runout 4 times the factory spec function as intended? I'm sure that Schaublin intended for the cross slide to have it's full range of travel. But then again it was only partially a Schaublin cross slide.

The lathe was shipped from the seller to Alaska Marine Lines for barge transport to me. So he knew it would be on the barge. Assuming it wasn't rusted before it shipped I think the 5 week transit would be more like time for it to rust than the weekend it spend on the barge. When it arrived it was dry, no oil or water on the surfaces. If it fits in a standard intermodal shipping container that's where the goods are in transit on the barge.

From our ebay messaging:

Seller:
OK, so the shipment of the lathe will be dropped off at the Alaska Marine Lines address you gave me in Seattle. How will you proceed from there?

Me:
They will put it in a steel shipping container and then on the next barge up to Ketchikan. Just takes 2 or 3 days to get here. When it arrives they give me a call. In the past they've used a forklift to pick up the pallet and put it in the bed of my truck. Bigger things they will deliver to my house with a lift gate truck. They did a good job with two milling machines I bought last summer.

I am confused "got about 0.35 thousandths or about 0.009 mm.", 350 thousandths of an inch ?? or 35 thousandths of an inch, either way neither equal 0.009 mm (0.0003 inch)

Back