What's new
What's new

Bad luck hiring experienced employees

Hello wheely,
What you need to know is I stand behind every thing that I say. The reason that most dislike me is because I'm honest and I don't speak riddle. I've been making shit longer than most of you dickheads been alive.

If you want to treat me with respect, I will be your friend,

and I will help you.

People who show respect generally get it in return. You are always condescending and insulting people.
Any time somebody shows up with any kind of "problem" you insert them in to your perfect little situation, and tell them what they are doing wrong.
You never try to put yourself in their situation. Not every shop needs a tool-maker. In fact, very few job-shops do. I know, "GASP" right?!
So, if we are truly being honest here, I'll call it like I see it: you are the dickhead. Narrow focused, closed minded, DICKHEAD.

Last edited:
People who show respect generally get it in return. You are always condescending and insulting people.
Any time somebody shows up with any kind of "problem" you insert them in to your perfect little situation, and tell them what they are doing wrong.
You never try to put yourself in their situation. Not every shop needs a tool-maker. In fact, very few job-shops do. I know, "GASP" right?!
So, if we are truly being honest here, I'll call it like I see it: you are the dickhead. Narrow focused, closed minded, DICKHEAD.

Have a good day wheelie.

Back to the original topic, pretty sure most everyone here has trained someone who had little or no experience.
On that subject I pretty much followed the same progression, I would start with simple tasks and increase the degree of difficulty. I would move them along at whatever speed they could handle. I have known guys who went the same speed with everyone regardless of what they retained, that definitely wasn't me. What amazed me is how some guys would seem to be very quick learners for a while and then slam into a wall they could not get over. Then there were guys who seemed a little slow picking things up but they went past the wall that stopped the guy who was quick out of the gate.

I always found that baffling, we used to try guessing where the new guy would skid to a halt, what we called hitting the wall. One thing that would trip some guys up constantly even with years and years of experience was the setting
and needed clearance on sold carbide boring bars.

The guy has nothing on Big B, otrlt appears to be who he says he is and appears knowledgeable about machining.
Big B is one of those cowards hurling insults hiding behind a keyboard. He also supposedly was a UAW worker and has that slacker attitude, that is about the only part of his tales that appear true. He demonstrates a complete lack of machining kills when trying to give advice and claims to have a list of possessions that don't fit.

The guy has nothing on Big B, otrlt appears to be who he says he is and appears knowledgeable about machining.......

I never said he wasn't who he said he is. All I am saying is: the guy thinks he has ALL the answers to every issue, even when he knows nothing of the issue.
I am sure he is exactly who he says he is. A narrow focused, closed minded, DICKHEAD. His arrogance is sickening. :ack2:
Why is he even in this thread? This thread is centered around somebody having better luck training people than hiring people with experience.
By default that makes any input he has here pointless. Because, you can not train a "tool-maker" with perfect "craftsmanship" in a year or three.

Not sure why anyone would defend otrlt on here. He constantly trolls.

I didn’t see any contribution to the discussion at hand. Just more of the endless attempts to make slights at those of us who DNGAF about what a great toolmaker he is.

Otrlt - if you’d like to get this back on topic, please tell us what your strategy is for hiring and retaining a crew of such amazing “craftsmen”. How many toolmakers do you employ? What’s your compensation structure like? Do you ever have to deal with turnover? I imagine there’s a line of young folks out the door every morning looking to intern for free just for a chance to be exposed to your genius.

I am totally aware that the vast majority of prospective customers out there really only care about price

As said before, if this is true, you've made bad business choices. If your customers truly only care about price, then they want China quality parts for China prices, and should be doing business with China. My clients care about quality, lead time, and the personal relationship, in which I understand their product and design intent, and help them with DFM etc. I have once been told that another shop underbid me considerably, and that cost was an issue on a project. I lowered my price a few percent as a gesture, and still got the job, even though I was still not the cheapest bid.

WTF? How many laps do we have to do with this?

I have a handful of pretty good customers, and have been building a pretty good niche.

However, the vast majority of individuals and companies in manufacturing procurement are primarily driven by price.

^^^Not my customers.

That is just an observation about the direction things are trending. We can take steps to protect ourselves as much as possible, but it has implications for the entire industry…

Not sure why anyone would defend otrlt on here. He constantly trolls.

I didn’t see any contribution to the discussion at hand. Just more of the endless attempts to make slights at those of us who DNGAF about what a great toolmaker he is.

Otrlt - if you’d like to get this back on topic, please tell us what your strategy is for hiring and retaining a crew of such amazing “craftsmen”. How many toolmakers do you employ? What’s your compensation structure like? Do you ever have to deal with turnover? I imagine there’s a line of young folks out the door every morning looking to intern for free just for a chance to be exposed to your genius.

I am not defending him, just saying he is far from the worst antagonist here.

I'm on the other side of this. I'm applying for this job and then being directed towards this job. Happening in person and with employment agencies. It's definitely interesting to see how places are run. Small shops clean as a whistle, every surface grinder hooked up to a vacuum system. Other large businesses, surface grinders unvented and coolant looking like it wasn't changed in 10 years. I've got time to hopefully find the right fit.....if the wife doesn't encourage otherwise first.

Back