What's new
What's new

Ban political discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have noted, politics have more and more crept into our daily lives and affect almost everything we do, including machining. I'm all for an absence of political discussion...but then I note those who are most against it are often those who want the spotlight kept off their side's poor behavior. Kinda like how the dope smoker doesn't like it when the talk turns to adopting Singapore-like anti-drug measures.

In any case, I do believe we need more laws and more restrictions in life. The more we shields ourselves from unpleasantness, the more we can devote our time to why are truly on Earth - hot dance moves, nail care, beer, and baby back ribs. Has anyone here ever seen a Chinaman who can drop it down to the flo'? Hells no.

So, I am spending the majority of my time going for the Big One. That's right, I am working hand in hand with our key legislators to get a law passed that outlaws dying. Once death is outlawed, I'll go after sickness. Once no one gets sick or dies.....I'll make damn sure no one is in a position of power who can't bust some hot-ass dance moves. It's all good.

Your comments in at least one of the recent threads suggest you are being facetious. (comments off thread topic at that)

To this thread topic. I have no issues with "politics" pertaining to the topics, They do effect us all.

Ad hominem should go away however. Zero tolerance. All members should be welcome to contribute to any discussion, but NOT AT THE PERSONAL EXPENSE OF ANOTHER.

I will sometimes add an inflammatory comment, but not post after post after post. I used to be a political nut, arguing and injecting myself into conversations. I walked away from it though, it's just not worth it.

This thread is sponsored by (insert political p[arty of choice)

This thread is sponsored by plastikdreams...period

Doesn't matter my political stance or who it affects here. As I said earlier I'm not pointing fingers, I'm not placing blame, and I'm not calling anyone out. The only thing I am calling out is the topic of conversations in the thread title. I'm not looking for anyone to be banned or disciplined.

It's very apparent that the recent qty (1) week time outs given to certain members has not worked....

So, I am spending the majority of my time going for the Big One. That's right, I am working hand in hand with our key legislators to get a law passed that outlaws dying. Once death is outlawed, I'll go after sickness. Once no one gets sick or dies.....I'll make damn sure no one is in a position of power who can't bust some hot-ass dance moves. It's all good.

You get this all done and I'll convert to the Religion of Greg. But I get to be the apostle with the hottest moves, I'm not budging on that.

That's like saying worrying about who shot who first is grade school BS.

No its not. Just because some makes a grade school taunt at you, doesn't mean you must/should respond.

"I know you are but what am I" fades away pretty quickly as childish nonsense when unanswered...until another child answers

It’s Practical Machinist, not theoretical mist. Ban everything politics, religions, philosophy. Enough to wonder about chucks in chucks, squaring round bars, and metric threads with an imperial pitch

As others have noted, politics have more and more crept into our daily lives and affect almost everything we do, including machining. I'm all for an absence of political discussion...but then I note those who are most against it are often those who want the spotlight kept off their side's poor behavior.

I don't have a side. And I believe (know) somethings, like economics or what is going on in the world or even what a government is doing can be intelligently discussed without politics entering it.

But that (imo) is not the issue. You can have those discussion without it being "your guy is an idiot", "no your guy is an idiot". On and on and on. Have you watched these clowns destroy a thread with the play ground back and forth insults? Its like watching primates throw shit at each other. Noting is achieved, its waste of time and distasteful. And couldn't cast the site it a worse light.

So just have a hard and fast rule, keep it in the nutbar forum or you're gone.

A separate political forum named TOILET. Flush it as the poo flinging starts.

Great idea that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alternative names could include:

The snake pit
The monkey house
The sewer
Little shop of horrors

Used to have one on a racing site I frequented years ago.

If a thread got touchy, it got moved there......Great system.

Well give it a chance. Realistically politics will tie in to any discussions. How could they not when stimulus money was going out to people and business during the pandemic?

Inflation, defense, space exploration, satellite deployments, internet, high tech, public and social media, and so on. Even the big boys have troubles keeping up with it all and perhaps one day a AI on each service may ride control of such.

Twitter is getting their just inspection because of a private investor and it shines a spotlight on their established mode. Many consider it overbearing.

You see things which happen lead to big heated discussions and drawing a line on paper is not enough. Maybe on a full moon with a witch doctor might have similar results.

Having someone step in and moderate it is good especially if they are the ones to do it. That to bring up this course of suggested action is fine I guess yet still allowing what is being done now should be allowed to moderate these issues. Already it has improved things. Just allowing things to work out is the best course.

Things have gotten out of control with all the political bullshit going on here. It's spilling into perfectly good threads and ruining them.
I agree. This is Practical Machinist, let's stick to that. I like the warning, then time out and each subsequent violation doubles the time out. If people can't stick to the rules eventually the problem will take care of itself. Bob

Holy cow, what did I miss ? Did we really have that ? That might actually be good for a few chuckles.

The political stuff. . . I think we are all very well polarized. There's no real neutral parties left, no fence sitters. And no one is swaying the other side, no matter how clever, or not anyone is. So its just down to the rock throwing and nastiness we see everywhere else. Boring, and played out a million times already.

Zombies and bunker lathes might actually raise the bar a bit ! :D

There was a recent thread about building a shop underground so the neighbors/government would not know it existed. It went into buying old missile silos and commercial storage vaults in old mines. I may have mentioned the gold mine that excavated a large chamber in solid granite to make a compressed air storage tank. Not really zombies but lots of talk of off grid and generators instead of power company three phase.
Bill D

Kind of skipped and skimmed here and there.

Sounds like what this forum needs is a big red per-post "Report" button so the mods can quickly discover where and when another fire starts and intervene before things get out of control.

A fire alarm system, if you will. :D

Make false reports a punishable offense on their own to discourage abuse.

This technology has been in regular use on other forums for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back