What's new
What's new

Bandsaw to Cold Cut Saw, need advise

Hubie1110

Plastic
I am looking for advice moving a job over to a cold cut saw from a bandsaw. The bandsaw will get 1000 or so cuts cutting the material, whereas the cold cut saw will get about 10 before the blade gives out. I was wondering if there is a speed/feed calculator or formula to go from bandsaw to cold cut feeds/speeds.

Material is 2" chrome plated 1040 mild steel or so. The job from the bandsaw was outsourced and we want to move it in house if possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cold saw or dry cut carbide saw? Cold saw should last a lot longer- those dry cuts sounds plausible.
Cold saw start gentle (no slamming material) and then keep a heavty pressure on it. They like a decent bite into the material.

Band saws are just better tho...

Our cold cut saw runs at 100 to 125 SFM and has to use flood coolant, that is for optimal blade life. A semi-automatic cold saw with controlled decent of the head will always provide longer blade life over a manually operated saw. Our cold saw equals or exceeds our bandsaw in blade life and is much faster. But I like band saws too:)

Are you cutting chrome?.....I suspect the bandsaw blade had carbide teeth.......To cut chrome with a HSS saw ,you will need to grind a ring around the cut zone.

Thank you all for your replies. The bandsaw does have a carbide tipped blade and they are running some cutting oil on it to help. The material is chrome with a mild steel core. I'm not overly concerned about production speed in this case as the parts are not high volume.

Bandsaw is a Behringer 360A with blade speed at 400FPM, running light amount of oil, carbide blade (3-4 negative pitch blade).

Cold cut was planning on running a 460mm x 80 tooth cermet. I do have flood coolant available on that machine as well. I'm just not sure how it would translate to feeds and speeds. Any help there would be appreciated.

Start with 85 sfm at 2+ ipm and work backwards and left from there.
Running 100-120 sfm is likely closer, just start slower to grasp how hard to push thru the chrome entry cut. HSS blade, carbide is outside my cold saw comprehension. @triplechip maybe?

a wet abrasive saw might be an option if the chrome is to thick. They will be near same speed as cold saw cut time.

Pimped out berhinger running 400 sfm with negative carbide could move some metal.

I would check with your cold saw blade supplier for recommendations on blade grinds as well as cut speed. I don't cut chrome plated material so I don't know what's recommended, but I cut stainless and mild steel and use different blade grinds and speeds for each.

For those wondering, the blade manufacturer did indeed get back to me, so I will try these settings and see how it goes. I do appreciate all of the advice from everyone, so thanks all around. :cheers:

Back