What's new
What's new

Barnes 4 1/2 lathe

Mike G from NH

Plastic
Hi, I just recently acquired the upper part of an old Barnes 4 1/2 (I Believe) lathe. I am trying to get it cleaned up and working. I am missing the plate that indicates which gears are used for the screw cutting setup. Can someone post a clear photo of one so I can reproduce it? I've seen a few images online, but the numbers are not 100% readable. Thanks, Mike

So how do you know it is a 4-1/2 and not a 5?

The distance from the front edge of the bed dovetail to the dead center on a No. 4-1/2 is 4-3/4" The bed dovetail "width" as you look down on it is 4-1/4.

The distance from the front edge of the bed dovetail to the dead center on a No. 5 is 5-15/16" The bed dovetail "width" as you look down on it is 5-1/4.

The Barnes No. 4 are smaller yet numbers, but these I don't own.

The 4-1/2 and 5 lathes are similar in appearance and layout. And even share a few common parts like the flywheel which is the same casting, but differs only in the width of the "steps" that are machined on it.

There was until today on Facebook Marketplace the entire "bottom works" of a 4-1/2 for sale - includes legs, flywheel, pedals, gears. For $600. But now not seeing.

Even so, your best move might be to simply "buy" the entire velocipede lathe if that is where you want to go. To assemble a complete lathe from parts is a fun, but unnecessary challenge.

Still, not everything is about the money.

Joe in NH

Last edited:

Back