What's new
What's new

barrel thread guage source?

Stirling

Cast Iron
Looking for a good source of go/no-go guuages for barrel tips. im gonna get into the barrel threading and muzzle break game and want to be sure im keeping everything standard, not just useing a break as my thread guage.

internal and external guage set for the common sizes. 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 seem to be all the requested threads ive gotton so far.
any others recomended?
it will most likely be all break i make

just4grins

Aluminum
MSC sells them. Not cheap, though. 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 are the most common size. AK’s and metric FAL’s take metric threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

standardparts

Diamond
Looking for a good source of go/no-go guuages for barrel tips. im gonna get into the barrel threading and muzzle break game and want to be sure im keeping everything standard, not just useing a break as my thread guage.

internal and external guage set for the common sizes. 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 seem to be all the requested threads ive gotton so far.
any others recomended?
it will most likely be all break i make

Although not an answer to you question here's a link to some info which you might find has value regarding rifle barrel muzzle threads.
The drawings have value for thread specs and thread protrusion. Thread class might come into play with certain types of muzzle devices.

https://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/pdf/manuals/ThreadGuideREV_01-040513.PDF

FredC

Titanium
Do not forget thread wires. A non-rotating spindle mike makes them a lot easier to use. Thread wires make it easier to sneak up on the finished size. There are thread mikes but I have never owned one as they are quite pricey and if you learn not to drop the wires they work pretty well.

michiganbuck

Diamond
QT op: [ im gonna get into the barrel threading and muzzle break game ]

I think how you hold a barrel is important.

Guess if I thought about doing that I might put the breech end on a headstock center and the muzzle end on a good quality live center...take off the trigger or have a method to wrap it, so not to accidentally crash into it.

I used to OD turn 98 barrels in a steady and re-blue them

would have a wire set and perhaps a thread micrometer, would watch my bit/insert nose. have a fish gauge and a thread gauge.

I know how to end a thread on the spot.. anyone doing guns should practice/master doing that. or buy/make a kick-out.

Gun stuff should be perfect.

FredC

Titanium
If you leave them in the tool box and use a thread mic. you will not drop them!

I bought a set of thread triangles. Had a card with numbers and no real explanation on how they work. Too busy to try to learn how to use them, so like your thread wires they are in a drawer in a tool box somewhere. I bought a new Mitutoya 106-102 non-rotating spindle mike that a coworker was selling out of his trunk for $25.00 in 1973. I have not worn it out yet, but MSC had a close out on them a few years ago so I bought a spare for about $75.00 just in case. These non rotating spindle mikes have 8mm diameter spindles so the larger diameter helps with controlling the wires. These mikes would probably work well with the triangles if I knew how to use them.

FredC

Titanium
Now there is a project. Buy a set and compare accuracy and ease of use to thread wires. When you have done that make a youtube video showing us the advantages and disadvantages as well as how to use them. :-)

If they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I will try to find mine.

Just a note here. I went and looked for my triangles. Found them and the chart. This set was made by SPI. The triangles have a milled finish with a couple of handling dings on the edges. Each edge has a different corner break small for fine threads and larger for course threads. In my Machinery's Handbook I seem to remember that thread gauges are measured with Class X pins. The milled finish on the triangles suggest they are not for real close tolerance work. Really the same goes for the Pee Dee sets. They are centerless ground but the wires may be off by a tenth and the wire sizes are chosen to make an economical set for general use and are not for measuring precision gauges. For holding class 2 and 3 tolerances the Pee Dee wires are just fine and the same maybe true of the triangles.

RoundHouse M&F

Plastic
Look for a set of go and no-go ring gauges a set normally runs around $150-300 USD for a good set. and if you are going to be threading a lot or want the easiest way look at shars tool for a 0-1" thread micrometer set, it comes with changeable anvils for multiple thread pitches and both metric and imperial threads and then you just go by the listed pitch diameter for the thread. i bought mine for like $70USD when it was on sale. but it will never hurt to have a set of thread wires as a back-up and a light dab of grease helps hold the wires as you fumble with them, and keep a rag on the ways its a lot better than looking for a needle in a hay stack :)

iv posted a link for a 1/2-28 their Go/No-Go set is $87 USD
https://www.gaugestools.com/1-2-28-unef-thread-ring-plug-gauge/

and the shars mic
0-1" Screw Thread Micrometer

michiganbuck

Diamond
Interesting about adding a muzzle brake: ( I don't know how much that would affect accuracy)
Muzzle Threading Video - YouTube

Here is a guy turning on a barrel..that looks like it is held with .010 run out at the start.
Muzzle Threading Video - YouTube

The first video suggesting "it may not be" is not very conclusive becaue it just make an assumption, with not testing a rifle for accuracy.

Most of not all testing shows that a MB makes better, or little difference.
reducing noise and recoil wiud be an asset to most shotters.

michiganbuck

Diamond

internal and external gauge set for the common sizes. 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 seem to be all the requested threads I've gotten so far.
any others recommended?
it will most likely be all break I make

Sterling,
I am going to experiment with making a gauge, starting with the 5/8-24
looks like the straight in feed would be about =.02706 and @ 30 =.03122

Do you have an adequate lathe, and set up for close threading?
Do you plan straight in or at 30 (29 1/2) infeed?

My best threading is with a HS tool bit having some side cutting edge angle (rake) and a little back rake with, setting a hone on the near-finished thread to see a small OD flat, and then make a final pass or two.

Rake and Relief Angles - LittleMachineShop.com

trevj

Titanium
Do not forget thread wires. A non-rotating spindle mike makes them a lot easier to use. Thread wires make it easier to sneak up on the finished size. There are thread mikes but I have never owned one as they are quite pricey and if you learn not to drop the wires they work pretty well.

Stab the thread wires in to a rubber eraser, or in to a glob of Placticine modelling clay, and you can skip the need for three hands.

If you really need better accuracy than the PeeDee wires will provide, buy some gage pins of the appropriate sizes, and work it out on paper with Trig. The tables in Machinery's Handbook and other sources, will have the Min and Max Pitch Diameters listed for each class of thread.

Another trick is to sit down and add up the measurements so you have the direct reading you need over the wires, written down, so you don't have to go back and recalculate the PD from the Mic reading each time.

At the price of a properly qualified set of go-no-go thread gages, the Pee Dee set is a pretty good buy!

And if you really want an eye opener, grab a cheap USB Microscope (because unlike an optical comparator, pretty much everyone can afford a USB microscope!)and set it up on a indicator stand to look at your threads. Nothing quite like seeing all the minor little details at 30-40 times life size, to square away any doubts you may have about the thread form, angles, etc.

kenton

Hot Rolled
I'm lazy, this website does the thread wire math for me.

UN imperial screw thread calculator

I usually balance 2 thread wires on top of the thread hold the lower one and "clamp" it all together with the micrometer. I also put a piece of plywood with a couple of rags on it across the ways. The board catches the wires when I drop them and the rags keep the wires from bouncing or rolling away.