What's new
What's new

Bath Iron works/General Dynamics

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Hello all, TGIF. Am I wrong about this, but I have gotten the impression, that BIW is not a good place to work? Hopefully I am wrong about this. I am looking to relocate to the North, and had considered applying there. Any other suggestions as to a "good" employer in that neck of the woods? Thank you, Mark

I'm in the region, but haven't worked there and don't know anyone who has recently. Have a woman friend who welded there in the 90's, her experience/opinion is the place was filled with unhappy sexist pig lifers. I do hope that's changed by now.

What's your experience and what are you looking for?

There's lots of tech companies in Massachusetts, esp. the Boston area, a smaller bunch in the Hanover, NH area doing R&D, making plasma welders/cutters, some biotech. You're from farther south, I take it, so be prepared for sticker shock when shopping for housing.

Some differences in state and social politics between Mass., VT, New Hampshire and Maine, too.

VT probably the leftiest, though fiscally somewhat sober with decent safety net, followed by Mass with tons more regulations, with Maine somewhere in there. Then there's New Hampshire :-), something odd. Proclaiming itself very conservative mostly, with pockets of towns begging to differ, getting leftier in the south as Boston creeps north but cultivating the image of rugged individualism and mistrust of anything or anyone not made in the state. The license plates read "Live free or die", so you get the idea. (Twisted by local wags into "Live, freeze, and die".)

New Hampshire isn't good at funding its public school system equitably. A School district lawsuit has been going on 40 years + and still isn't resolved, so the overall public school system is spotty. If you have kids in school, pick your district carefully.

Probably TMI :-)

Last edited:
Hello all, TGIF. Am I wrong about this, but I have gotten the impression, that BIW is not a good place to work? Hopefully I am wrong about this. I am looking to relocate to the North, and had considered applying there. Any other suggestions as to a "good" employer in that neck of the woods? Thank you, Mark
What would be an example that would differentiate good from bad? After all, it is a shipyard.

If they have a foundry and want you to work there, don’t.. I’ve been in mfg facilities here and in many countries. Foundries are the worst. A forge shop by comparison is nice.

Sorry everyone, I was away. Good questions...I don't have a good answer as to what makes a company good or bad...maybe a good company has a good work/life balance...values their employees opinions...room for advancement....I know, I'm in a dream world.
For the last 35 years, I have worked in the advanced ceramics industry; in February, I took a position in our Engineering department...dealing with day to day manufacturing issues...

Back