What's new
What's new

Best lathe for oilfield parts?

4GSR

Diamond
Get a hold of Elision Technology in Houston. They are the Mori-seki dealer and tailor to the oilfield. They generally have machines on the floor ready to test run. Don't matter if it's a 2-3/8 IF or a 8-5/8 H-90, they have a machine that will cut it day in-day out. Picking up and chasing threads, no problem! I'm a little partial to them, my brother and nephew works for them!

IronReb

Stainless
I know a couple shops in town that have HAAS TL models.

Oil field and HAAS TL's should never be used in the same sentence.

If you do go with the TL be DAMN sure you get the two speed gear box (option on TL series?)
or you will regret it every time you try to turn any thing larger than 4" in 4140.

The option is like 5K but with out it you might as well just put a 6" chuck on it because you will
never turn anything bigger than that and make time/money.

csharp

Stainless
HAAS is building an ST55 with front and rear chucks and big for oil field work they told me. Just got an email and they said it was going to at IMTS

DouglasJRizzo

Titanium
Hello all, my company has asked me to get opinions from some other machinists on what lathe we should purchase. Sales reps have recommended the Haas TL-3B and a Doosan 300C/300LC so far. Okuma and Mazak reps will be stopping in shortly.
If anyone has experience with thread chasing I'd like to hear what machines you prefer.

If you haven't chosen yet:
Granted I'm biased -
but I'd go with a Doosan. Thread repair function is standard for doing just that - repairing damaged oil field threads, and arbitrary thread speed control is also standard. Give your distributor a call. The other guys are good, no doubt, but I think ours is just super! Call your Doosan distributor.

lebetsky

Plastic
Well at least it is swiss spam.
I hope we will be able to buy a used Wap DM-4C in the near future. I really like the idea of interchangeable slide guides. The welded frame is filled from the inside with something like synthetic granite. That's what worries me. Will such a solution be durable? If the filler of the bed collapses from vibration, from old age or from a blow? The car is rare, so I collect crumbs of information about it everywhere.

DDoug

Diamond
I hope we will be able to buy a used Wap DM-4C in the near future. I really like the idea of interchangeable slide guides. The welded frame is filled from the inside with something like synthetic granite. That's what worries me. Will such a solution be durable? If the filler of the bed collapses from vibration, from old age or from a blow? The car is rare, so I collect crumbs of information about it everywhere.

why not ask the manuf ?

lebetsky

Plastic
Thanks, DDoug. I've re-read the Wiap website 20 times already. Interested in the real experience of use and disadvantages of the machine. The machine was produced in very small quantities.

rcoope

Stainless
Well at least it is swiss spam.
If it's swiss spam does that mean it's spam dipped in cheese?
It's funny to see this thread now. I heard the same things from a local shop here about the TL-3 being hopeless, and indeed Haas stopped selling the TL-3 years ago. We have the older style TL-1 and it's a great toolroom lathe for smaller stuff.