What's new
What's new

Best lathe for oilfield parts?

Get a hold of Elision Technology in Houston. They are the Mori-seki dealer and tailor to the oilfield. They generally have machines on the floor ready to test run. Don't matter if it's a 2-3/8 IF or a 8-5/8 H-90, they have a machine that will cut it day in-day out. Picking up and chasing threads, no problem! I'm a little partial to them, my brother and nephew works for them!

I know a couple shops in town that have HAAS TL models.

Oil field and HAAS TL's should never be used in the same sentence.

If you do go with the TL be DAMN sure you get the two speed gear box (option on TL series?)
or you will regret it every time you try to turn any thing larger than 4" in 4140.

The option is like 5K but with out it you might as well just put a 6" chuck on it because you will
never turn anything bigger than that and make time/money.

HAAS is building an ST55 with front and rear chucks and big for oil field work they told me. Just got an email and they said it was going to at IMTS

Hello all, my company has asked me to get opinions from some other machinists on what lathe we should purchase. Sales reps have recommended the Haas TL-3B and a Doosan 300C/300LC so far. Okuma and Mazak reps will be stopping in shortly.
If anyone has experience with thread chasing I'd like to hear what machines you prefer.

If you haven't chosen yet:
Granted I'm biased -
but I'd go with a Doosan. Thread repair function is standard for doing just that - repairing damaged oil field threads, and arbitrary thread speed control is also standard. Give your distributor a call. The other guys are good, no doubt, but I think ours is just super! Call your Doosan distributor.

Well at least it is swiss spam.
I hope we will be able to buy a used Wap DM-4C in the near future. I really like the idea of interchangeable slide guides. The welded frame is filled from the inside with something like synthetic granite. That's what worries me. Will such a solution be durable? If the filler of the bed collapses from vibration, from old age or from a blow? The car is rare, so I collect crumbs of information about it everywhere.

I hope we will be able to buy a used Wap DM-4C in the near future. I really like the idea of interchangeable slide guides. The welded frame is filled from the inside with something like synthetic granite. That's what worries me. Will such a solution be durable? If the filler of the bed collapses from vibration, from old age or from a blow? The car is rare, so I collect crumbs of information about it everywhere.

why not ask the manuf ?

Thanks, DDoug. I've re-read the Wiap website 20 times already. Interested in the real experience of use and disadvantages of the machine. The machine was produced in very small quantities.

Well at least it is swiss spam.
If it's swiss spam does that mean it's spam dipped in cheese?
It's funny to see this thread now. I heard the same things from a local shop here about the TL-3 being hopeless, and indeed Haas stopped selling the TL-3 years ago. We have the older style TL-1 and it's a great toolroom lathe for smaller stuff.

I wrote a short letter on Wiap. I asked what is the service life of the machine with mineral filler inside the frame. Can this filler crack from time and vibration, turn into powder? I didn't get an answer.

I wrote a short letter on Wiap. I asked what is the service life of the machine with mineral filler inside the frame. Can this filler crack from time and vibration, turn into powder? I didn't get an answer.
The machine will more than likely wear out before that filler material becomes an issue. IMO.

"The guides are interchangeable because they are screwed, making them well suited for a revision after 20 years without the bed having to be returned to the supplier. The hardened guides min. 60 HRC are screwed. The carriage guides in the X and Z axes are coated with a sliding coating. All axes have air support so that the slide runs better, dirt does not get under the guides and wear is reduced many times over compared to other guides. The lubrication is designed for a short distance, ie enough lubrication points for one thread fabrication.

The WIAP machines can typically run for over 20000 hours and have less than 0.01mm guide wear if maintenance is not neglected. Ie replace stripping every year etc."

According to what has been written, the machine is designed for a long service life. It may be possible to buy a Wap DM-4C machine - we will check everything on our own experience.​

If you haven't chosen yet:
Granted I'm biased -
but I'd go with a Doosan. Thread repair function is standard for doing just that - repairing damaged oil field threads, and arbitrary thread speed control is also standard. Give your distributor a call. The other guys are good, no doubt, but I think ours is just super! Call your Doosan distributor.
Thread repair of API connections on a FANUC control sucks. It just plain sucks manual guide is terrible. Mazak, Okuma, Siemens, and Mitsubishi (in mori machines) are a much, much better option.

Mazak, and Siemens are the two easiest I've used.

Thread repair of API connections on a FANUC control sucks. It just plain sucks manual guide is terrible. Mazak, Okuma, Siemens, and Mitsubishi (in mori machines) are a much, much better option.

Mazak, and Siemens are the two easiest I've used.
Really? I thought it worked well. But then that's just my opinion.
The others are pretty darn good, granted.

Just straight threads. Mostly acme threads.
Yeah then it’s not quite as bad but for tapered threads your error allowance is so small that manual guide repair on a machine without a C is very unreliable and will often totally scrap the part. Also requires the guy to be very good at math compared to the machines like Siemens and mazak that just use your already existing threading cycle in the program

Last edited:

Back