What's new
What's new

best metal for building a mill enclosure out of? insights?

rk9268vc

Aluminum
Thanks CarbideBob for being the only serious reply here along with Strostkovy

Im pretty new to the forum and seems like there are a lot of guys here with nothing better to do than rag on ya for having a hobby in your garage

I hadent thought of galvanic corrosion, thats a good point.
I am leaning toward steel to avoid denting it when things go flying haha
It will also be a bit easier to tig weld
thanks

DDoug

Diamond
Isnt cold rolled usually straighter? I how at least with bars the hot rolled ones are all wonky

P&O removes the scale, but cold rolled doesnt have scale right?

Huh ?

Why doo you need it so straight ? For more accurate parts ?

Grab a curbside clothes washer, and you've got 3/4 of your enclosure right there. A couple of minutes with a screwdriver, and you get the front and both sides in a nice "U" shape, make your front door with another piece.

rk9268vc

Aluminum
Huh ?

Why doo you need it so straight ? For more accurate parts ?

Grab a curbside clothes washer, and you've got 3/4 of your enclosure right there. A couple of minutes with a screwdriver, and you get the front and both sides in a nice "U" shape, make your front door with another piece.

It would be nice if it was that easy, but I need 72 inches wide for the full travels
The table plus servo sticking out is 43in wide with 24in travels

Scruffy887

Titanium
HR P&O is plenty straight and flat enough just as it is. Nothing like hot rolled bar stock. How and what you make are very dependent on fabrication methods available to you. For me the first flange on my press brake will make it straight.

rk9268vc

Aluminum
HR P&O is plenty straight and flat enough just as it is. Nothing like hot rolled bar stock. How and what you make are very dependent on fabrication methods available to you. For me the first flange on my press brake will make it straight.

good to know. Ive only got a 2ft hand bender, but we have a monster hydraulic press break at work, thing is like 6ft wide. Might have to use it after hours.

My steel supplier doesnt carry P&O in 16ga, thinnest is 14ga, so it is cheaper to stick with cold rolled 16ga

Strostkovy

Stainless
Where I'm at HRPO isn't available thinner than 12 gauge. Hot roll goes down to 16 gauge. Cold roll doesn't seem much more expensive per pound than HRPO around here though.