What's new
What's new

Best option for a new 3 phase 240 volt motor for a Bridgeport J head mill?

fourbyfive

Plastic
I recently purchased a Bridgeport J head mill, the previous owner had never hooked it up, likely because the oddball motor on it that required 3 phase 550 volts.

It seems to be in good shape otherwise, and I have a single phase 240 volt to 3 phase 240 volt VFD that came along with it, so I'm looking for a good 3 phase 240 volt motor to replace the old one with.

Any recommendations?

bsg

Titanium
I recently purchased a Bridgeport J head mill, the previous owner had never hooked it up, likely because the oddball motor on it that required 3 phase 550 volts.

It seems to be in good shape otherwise, and I have a single phase 240 volt to 3 phase 240 volt VFD that came along with it, so I'm looking for a good 3 phase 240 volt motor to replace the old one with.

Any recommendations?

You did not say if the head is a step pulley or variable speed, the motors are unique to either machine?
I would have the motor rewound for the lower voltage....unsure if you could use a VFD into a step up transformer, that would probably be the cheapest if possible?

Kevin

fourbyfive

Plastic
The head is a step pulley, plan on adding a VFD to get better variable speed.

Haven't found much in the way of 3 phase 240 to 3 phase 550ish transformers :(

Didn't know having a motor rewound was an option, definitely going to check that out, thank you!

Metalurgent

Aluminum
Sent you a PM.
I have one, but I've no idea what model it fits..(we don't have the mill anymore and this was a spare..)
I can send you photos with dimensions.